PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Best and Worst Apple products of all time.

MacTruck
Nov 6, 2005, 08:39 PM
What would you say were the best and worst apple products ever? I would have to say:

Best - Powermac G5 Dual: This has been the fastest and best computer I have ever owned and it looks nice. Like having a lexus in my office. Soon to be replaced by the Quad.

Worst - Apple Puck Mouse: Talk about carpel tunnel. This is the equivalent to the eyeglass holder in the movie "The Jerk". Can't believe there are no lawsuits from this.

What do you think?

puckhead193
Nov 6, 2005, 08:43 PM
best either the ipod or the original imac... it saved apple
worst - i don't really know of anything...

Lacero
Nov 6, 2005, 08:46 PM
Same for me.

Best: PowerMac G5 form factor and enclosure. Powerful and quiet. Quads look nice.
Best consumer product: iPod mini.

Worst: Hockey Puck Mouse & iMac G3 keyboard. Close third would be the 20th Anniversary Mac. $10K for one of the ugliest computers in existence.

pionata
Nov 6, 2005, 09:40 PM
Best:
iMac G5 rev.C - nice quality for the price
iBook G4 12" - strong and affordable powerbook 12" competitor

(of course the powermac kick ass, but they are too expensive and come with not enough ram and small hardrive place for the price)

Worse:
eMac - I hate the way it look

katie ta achoo
Nov 6, 2005, 09:42 PM
BEST: I have the love for my Rev. D 15" PB. Because it was free

worst: stuff that wasn't free.

Aarow
Nov 6, 2005, 09:43 PM
Best-iMac G5, they're just so cool (wish I had one :))

Worst- Flower Power iMac. Yuck!

risc
Nov 6, 2005, 09:50 PM
Best: Apple ][
Worst: The 1 button mouse (any/all of them)

mcarnes
Nov 6, 2005, 10:01 PM
Best: iTunes, first 15" PB (Wow), quad G5, maybe Aperture (we'll see), iPod, FinalCut. Of course the 128K from 1984 started it all. The list of great Apple things can go on and on.

Worst: Some of the switch ads were just painful to watch. But even worse were the early iPod commercials with people singing along very badly (anyone remember the 'My Generation' guy?) That was the only time in my life that I was embarrassed to be a mac head.

EricNau
Nov 6, 2005, 10:02 PM
Best: iMac G5!
Bester: The iPod, not just because it's cool, but because now Apple has more money to make computers :p

Worst: that stupid round mouse: I would always end up holding it backwards.

biohazard6969
Nov 6, 2005, 10:03 PM
Best-iMac G5, they're just so cool (wish I had one :))

Worst- Flower Power iMac. Yuck!

hey i happen to liek the psychadelicness of the flowerpower imac, when i got it, i thought it was great to have one that wasn't just some solid colour, THINK DIFFERENT and unique, but i digress
BEST: imac G5 revs A and B were great starters but the C is cream of the crop

WORST: eMac, that thing is stupid, why go with the old imac form factor for a new modern product, it just seems really stupid to me

QCassidy352
Nov 6, 2005, 10:08 PM
Best: Tibook. It was so great for its time - good speed compared to PC notebooks of the time, revolutionarily thin for its size, and extremely attractive. And the ipod, of course.

Worst: the 20th anniversary mac is a good choice.

Really, there are so many possible answers for both!

ryannel2003
Nov 6, 2005, 10:10 PM
Best- eMac. It might not be the prettiest, but it was the first "affordable" G4 Mac and my very first Mac as well. $799 is a pretty good price a 1.25GHz eMac 1 year ago.

Worst- Apple Puck Mouse. I have one and it's definetly the worst mouse I have ever used. Too damn small! I can't believe they actually expected people to use those things! :eek:

G5Unit
Nov 6, 2005, 10:16 PM
Best- eMac. It might not be the prettiest, but it was the first "affordable" G4 Mac and my very first Mac as well. $799 is a pretty good price a 1.25GHz eMac 1 year ago.

Worst- Apple Puck Mouse. I have one and it's definetly the worst mouse I have ever used. Too damn small! I can't believe they actually expected people to use those things! :eek:

I agree, Mac mini is like the new eMac!

contoursvt
Nov 6, 2005, 10:17 PM
Best - Powermac Dual G5

Worst - That horrible puck mouse. That tops the nipple on IBM notebooks as an input device - by far!! and I hate those things.

mad jew
Nov 6, 2005, 10:18 PM
Best: iBook G4 for bringing affordable notebook performance to the masses.

Worst: Sherlock for being useless for users outside of California, let alone the USA, and that's being generous. :(

ryannel2003
Nov 6, 2005, 10:26 PM
I agree, Mac mini is like the new eMac!

The Mac mini does look better than the eMac, but it's slower than the eMac. It has a slower video card, slower HD (laptop HD), and less I/O ports. Plus I prefer the AIO design of the eMac (which makes my desk a lot less cluttered). I wish Apple would bring the eMac back in a all new design, but I doubt that would ever happen.

EricNau
Nov 6, 2005, 10:30 PM
I wish Apple would bring the eMac back in a all new design, but I doubt that would ever happen.
It's called the iMac G5 ;)

ryannel2003
Nov 6, 2005, 10:38 PM
It's called the iMac G5 ;)

Nah the iMac G5 is too expensive. There's now a huge gap between the $699 Mac mini and the $1299 iMac G5. Apple should bring out a new line or something to fill that gap. Or add another config to the Mac mini.

QCassidy352
Nov 6, 2005, 10:40 PM
Best: iBook G4 for bringing affordable notebook performance to the masses.

Worst: Sherlock for being useless for users outside of California, let alone the USA, and that's being generous. :(

ooh, good call on Sherlock. What's happened to it? Used to work great for me, and now nothing comes up! I always found it useful, but it's frustrating that it doesn't work anymore...

katie ta achoo
Nov 6, 2005, 10:45 PM

Yeah, outside the US is crap, but I get awesome sherlock results and I'm outside CA.

*shrug*

EricNau
Nov 6, 2005, 11:02 PM
Worst: Sherlock for being useless for users outside of California, let alone the USA, and that's being generous.
Yeah, outside the US is crap, but I get awesome sherlock results and I'm outside CA.

*shrug*
What is sherlock?

mad jew
Nov 6, 2005, 11:09 PM
Sherlock is in your Applications folder. It's kinda hard to explain what it does because it does nothing for me, but open it up and check it out. :)

SummerBreeze
Nov 6, 2005, 11:24 PM
Best: The iPod, it has really revolutionized music. And Mac OSX is probably one of the best products Apple has put out as well.

Worst: Definitely the puck mouse, I hated that thing. I'm also not too fond of Sherlock.

Xephian
Nov 6, 2005, 11:39 PM
Best: iMac G5
Worst: eMac and Flower Power iMac G3

Chundles
Nov 6, 2005, 11:53 PM
Best - iMac (all of them), Pismo, iBook, G4 Powerbook.

Worst - Puck Mouse, 20th Anniversary Mac.

Flawed implementation of a brilliant idea: The Cube. It's now slow, old and crippled in terms of overall features but damn it I still want one.

eXan
Nov 7, 2005, 12:30 AM
Best: 15 inch Alu PowerBook with backlight keyboard :) AND MAC OS X!!! :D

Worst: mmm... Classic OS (cant think of anything else and im to young to remeber pre-iMacG3 days. Everything since iMac G3 is good)

jer2eydevil88
Nov 7, 2005, 05:32 AM
Best: iPod Mini - It brought iPod's home to people that once considered it a high end niche product. It was this iPod that really expanded the youth appeal and actually let kids own iPods.

Worst: These stupid one button mice! All of them! I mean common the $2000 powerbooks still are handicaped by having one button... I could rant about this for a week but I guess its just personal preference... Whenever I can I hook up my mx510 and its all good...

My favorite Apple product that I own is my 30gb iPod photo because I drive way to much for my own good and it always manages to have something I can't remember listening to.

eXan
Nov 7, 2005, 06:17 AM
Best: iPod Mini - It brought iPod's home to people that once considered it a high end niche product. It was this iPod that really expanded the youth appeal and actually let kids own iPods.

Worst: These stupid one button mice! All of them! I mean common the $2000 powerbooks still are handicaped by having one button... I could rant about this for a week but I guess its just personal preference... Whenever I can I hook up my mx510 and its all good...

My favorite Apple product that I own is my 30gb iPod photo because I drive way to much for my own good and it always manages to have something I can't remember listening to.

How many songs/gigs of music do you have?

iGary
Nov 7, 2005, 06:21 AM
Best: Power Mac G5, iMac G4, iMac G5, PowerBook.

Worst: Hockey Puck Mouse, 20th Anniversary Mac, Clamshell iBooks.

jer2eydevil88
Nov 7, 2005, 07:30 AM
I have around 70,000 mp3's between my three machines and I switch the iPod's library around between them.

zelmo
Nov 7, 2005, 07:44 AM
Best: OS X, iMac G4, iTunes/iPod (killer combo)
Worst: hockey puck mouse

wdlove
Nov 7, 2005, 11:20 AM
Best: Mac OS X, 2nd Power Mac G5, & 3rd iMac G5

Worst: Lisa, 2nd Hockey Puck Mouse, 3rd 20th Anniversary Mac

Jaffa Cake
Nov 7, 2005, 01:34 PM
Worst - Apple Puck Mouse: Talk about carpel tunnel. I saw the thread title and the puck mouse was the first thing that came to mind. And reading through the thread, I see plenty of others agree.

If you were to ask me for my favourite Apple product – I'd say whichever Mac I own at the time. :p

plinkoman
Nov 7, 2005, 04:20 PM
best is by far the 17"pb, no comparison :D

worst.... hmmm, i guess the clamshell iBook, i always hated those

leekohler
Nov 7, 2005, 04:39 PM
Worst- puck mouse. Ouch!

Best- iBook G4.

true777
Nov 7, 2005, 06:06 PM
Best: I'd have to say OS 1.0.
Without this groundbreaking work, there would never have been a "Mac Experience". Everything else just built on this ingenuity.

I also still have tremendous respect for the Blue & White G3 towers. They were just among the most solidly built Macs ever. I've had one running 24/7 for 6+ years or so, without any problem, and it's still running as if I had just taken it out of the box.

Worst: Probably the eMate (for those who remember it -- idiotic idea all around), Mac Portable, and G3 all-in-one (education only; released 6 months before iMac -- shows just how crappy Macs would be without Ive. Basically the way iMacs would have looked if Jon Ive hadn't come along).

I personally think Apple would not exist today if Jonathan Ive hadn't joined.

d_and_n5000
Nov 12, 2005, 07:42 PM
Best-iBook Clamshell 466 lime-great color, had a DVD drive, had the clamshell look I really want, etc, with a hockey puck mouse(the later ones that came with b&w power macs with the indentation are ok...)-they are just so cool! too dang bad they are a cult item and still command 600-800 dollars on ebay!:D Think different, right?

Worst-I dunno, I've only been a Mac fan for about a year and a half...and I haven't owned one yet. so, I dunno. But I never liked the power mac/performa 5400's my school has. Old, and crash a lot.

macmanmatty
Nov 12, 2005, 08:32 PM
Best: Ipod Powermac g5, ibook g4

Worst: The New Intel Machines;) , hockey puck mouse.

2nyRiggz
Nov 12, 2005, 08:55 PM
Best: ipod (all Gen) OS X
better: powerbook G4, ibook

Worst: the boxed mouse, the colorful imac, the 20th ann. did suck

nuff.

rockthecasbah
Nov 12, 2005, 09:14 PM
Worst: The New Intel Machines;) , hockey puck mouse.
very optimistic aren't we...;)

im surprised nobody has mentioned the Cube as a worst..sure it was cool to have that case but it was a rip off for the price, slow, and sold terribly meriting the "worst" notion for its sellability.

mjstew33
Nov 12, 2005, 09:17 PM
Worst: The New Intel Machines ;)
You don't know $ht about the Intel Mac. With that said, how can you say they are the worst if they aren't even released :confused: :rolleyes:

I HATE comments like these :mad:

mjstew33
Nov 12, 2005, 09:18 PM
But anyway:
Best: PowerBook G3 (WallStreet, Lombard, Pismo)
Worst: Quadra 630 ~ Took 13 minutes to load :rolleyes:

reberto
Nov 12, 2005, 09:22 PM
Best: iMac G4 (much better than the "box G5) Power mac G5, iTunes, iPod shuffle (finally a iPod that I can bike with!)

Worst: USB pro speakers (sound like crap, work like crap, break like crap!), iPod nano, (I know people will kill me for this but...) the magical, overpriced piece of juck we call the Mac Mini.

me_94501
Nov 12, 2005, 09:26 PM
Best: the new iMac G5. We have one at work; it kills productivity. :D
Worst: Apple mice in general.

applemacdude
Nov 12, 2005, 10:22 PM
Without this groundbreaking work, there would never have been a "Mac Experience". Everything else just built on this ingenuity.

I also still have tremendous respect for the Blue & White G3 towers. They were just among the most solidly built Macs ever. I've had one running 24/7 for 6+ years or so, without any problem, and it's still running as if I had just taken it out of the box.

Worst: Probably the eMate (for those who remember it -- idiotic idea all around), Mac Portable, and G3 all-in-one (education only; released 6 months before iMac -- shows just how crappy Macs would be without Ive. Basically the way iMacs would have looked if Jon Ive hadn't come along).

ive designed the tooth =]

applemacdude
Nov 12, 2005, 10:22 PM

ive designed the tooth =]

MacTruck
Nov 12, 2005, 11:38 PM
Just remembered another worst apple product:

Quicktake digital camera 150.

Sucked down batteries like crazy, pain in the butt to get pics off of it, bulky, expensive at $900.

tristan
Nov 13, 2005, 12:04 AM
How about the good, the bad, and the ugly?

The good: TiBook. Made the Powerbook cool again.

The bad: Powerbook 5300cs, original PowerPC powerbook, super unstable, looked like garbage.

The ugly: Apple Laserwriter. Worked like a tank though, I used mine for years.

chaos86
Nov 13, 2005, 09:18 AM
best: the new wireless mighty mouse that doesnt require you to lift yourleft finger to register a right click and treats any clicks that have no finger presense sensed as a left click (a la holding the mouse funny at the back because you're standing up doing something quickly and cant be bothered getting the right hand position), and has better working expos buttons (that actually mouse).

worst: isync. it worked with like 2 phones and ipod, now it doesnt even work with ipods and the phones are old and not in use (may be just because I haven't updated but come on, the PhoneDirector people can do this better and they suck).

Morn
Nov 14, 2005, 07:31 AM
Best: Ipod, 60GB of music in your pocket! I could put a whole HMV store on it!
Clamshell ibook, beautiful industrial design, although the kind of thing that only a female would want to be seen with ;)
G4 iMac, the best looking desktop mac ever, great design.
Powerbook G4 its a fine solid looking thin laptop, the best looking laptop in the industry.
Dashboard: Wow what a cool feature, fast access to information that you regularly need, best implamentation of the idea as well, konfabulator can suck it.
30" CinemaHD the size and resolution is amazing, actually I'd say extreme, more than what anyone should need for a while. Although what really impresses me is the quality of the color reproduction, it's the best LCD in terms of color quality I've seen.
Worst: Os8/9 What, co-operative multitasking in the late 90s? Absurd. OSX should have been around much earlier. Os8 was already sort of aged with it's old kernel and old style UI without anything comparable to a dock or task bar. Macos fell behind the competition in this peroid.
Mice: I can't think of an apple mouse properly designed for ergonomics. Apple mice are more likely to give you RSI than a logitech or microsoft one, and yes even mighty mouse. It's too low, doesn't properly support the hand as good as it's other features are.
23" Cinema Hd: My god what terrible red error is has, it'd be like living next to a neon sign.

macmanmatty
Nov 14, 2005, 09:07 AM
You don't know $ht about the Intel Mac. With that said, how can you say they are the worst if they aren't even released :confused: :rolleyes:

No but I have co-oped for intel, and feel ashamed that our beloved Apple machines will use thier piece of $#!T processors. Or that any machine uses them for that matter.

chaos86
Nov 14, 2005, 11:24 AM
No but I have co-oped for intel, and feel ashamed that our beloved Apple machines will use thier piece of $#!T processors. Or that any machine uses them for that matter.

apparently they're good enough for steve jobs.

try looking at an intel chip without windows and without dells $#!TTY motherboards and other components connected to them. intel makes a lot of good products, dont be a fanboy.

Daedalus256
Nov 14, 2005, 11:37 AM
Best: Powerbook 100: According to the Top 100 Gadgets of all time:

"[The Powerbook's] greatest and most lasting innovation was to move the keyboard toward the screen, leaving natural wrist rests up front, as well as providing an obvious place for a trackball." because before it's time, there wasn't such a thing. Apple really defined how to make a laptop

Best consumer product: iPod family because it really helped bring apple back into the spotlight

Worst: The frickin puck mouse that shipped with eMac G3s. Oh man what a pain

bluemonkey
Nov 14, 2005, 01:34 PM
Best Products: G4 imac, G4 ibook, Dual G5, 17" Powerbook, iPod & iPod mini

Worst: Puck mouse, Cube (what might've been, huh?), that's all I can think of

mrbigcdx
Nov 14, 2005, 01:59 PM
Best: OS X, a revolutionary operating system that breathed new life into some otherwise-obsolete machines. Anything before it seems like such an embarrassment... Pretty, fun, and functional, need I say more?

Worst: not to be cliche, but the puck mouse... -shivers-

Jedi128
Nov 14, 2005, 02:18 PM
So many products out there..... People need to realize its best product EVER, not best in the last 3 years.....

Best: Apple II (why hasn't this been said yet?), Mac OS, OS X, iMac....

Worst: single button mice

Bibulous
Nov 14, 2005, 02:23 PM

p0intblank
Nov 14, 2005, 02:26 PM
Best: PowerBook G4
Worst: Nothing yet... I've only been a Mac user for a little over a year.

latergator116
Nov 14, 2005, 09:09 PM

Apple fanyboy alert!

I think he was joking... calm down.

Sirus The Virus
Nov 14, 2005, 09:17 PM

Didn't you notice the ;)?

Morn
Nov 15, 2005, 01:09 AM
Apple 2 is old and irrelevant that would be why no one mentioned it.:rolleyes:

savar
Nov 15, 2005, 02:25 AM
Worst: the 20th anniversary mac is a good choice.

Thats what I was thinking. Not actually a terrible machine, but the price tag was outrageous. They were trying to sell a collectible that had no nostalagia for most people.

The LC series was pretty bad too.

kretzy
Nov 15, 2005, 03:23 AM
Best: I think the entire lineup is awesome at the moment (except that the PBs need a bit of extra kick, but they're still fantastic). and though i never used them, i think the initial imacs just looked really cool and were sort of the beginning for apple's leading in the design department.

Worst: I think the mighty mouse looks ugly...the scroll ball just looks strange.

.:*Robot Boy*:.
Nov 15, 2005, 04:12 AM
Best

'The Hockey Puck Mouse'. This thing is the epitome of cool. I mean, look at it! It's like something out of a pretentious, 1940s Czheckoslovakian Sci-Fi movie... or something. I have three of them. I just started using one again with my B&W G3 after my PowerBook got stolen and I love it! The Apple Pro Mouse is annoying 'cause it won't register a click if you have anything caught under the 'shell' that prevents it from being fully depressed. Maybe I just have a superior palm to the rest of you, but I can't say I've ever used a more comfortable mouse than The Hockey Puck Mouse. And besides, could you imagine any other mouse being bundled with the G3 iMac?

The aluminium PowerBook keyboard. I can't stand 'real' keyboards now that I know how much easier typing can be.

The B&W G3. Easily upgradeable, incredibly sexy, came with a Hockey Puck Mouse ;).

Worst

GarageBand. It seems to have convinced leagues of uncreative people to mash together uncreative samples to produce uncreative music.

Logic Pro. They took the worst UI in the history of recording applications and made it prettier, but no more intuitive.

Sam0r
Nov 17, 2005, 01:53 PM
Best: iBook G4. Best value for money, especially when I bought mine with an iPod with edu discount and got 100 back from apple :)

Worst: The Performa 630's. I had one running OS7 yonks ago, and it blew up in my face. Additionaly, the monitor farted every time I turned it on!

Oh, and I actually really liked the puck mice:)

DanielNTX
Nov 17, 2005, 02:08 PM
Worst: Apple Newton

adk
Nov 17, 2005, 03:32 PM
BEST: PB commercial with Yao Ming and Vern Troyer

WORST: Itunes commercial with Eminem

speaking of commercials, does anybody have a link to the 1984 commercial?

HiRez
Nov 17, 2005, 04:19 PM
Best: Newton, Mac SE/30, PowerBook 2400c, PowerBook G3 "Pismo", Titanium PowerBook "2001" (DVI), OS X 10.3 "Panther", eMate, Hypercard, dual 2.0 G5 PowerMac, Final Cut Pro

Worst: Newton, puck mouse, Macintosh LC, Mac OS 7.5, OS X 10.0

HiRez
Nov 17, 2005, 04:29 PM
Worst: Probably the eMate (for those who remember it -- idiotic idea all around), Mac Portable, and G3 all-in-one (education only; released 6 months before iMac -- shows just how crappy Macs would be without Ive.OK I put this among my best. It never went anywhere, but it was pretty innovative at the time: first use of translucent plastics, extremely rugged, very lightweight, amazing battery life. It certainly could have been improved and it need more and better software, and I wouldn't say it was a computer "for the masses", but I thought it was kind of neat. I still think something like it would be a good form-factor for pre-high-school kids.

skunk
Nov 17, 2005, 04:32 PM
Best: Pismo, PM 7100/80, Cube.
Worst: Hockey-puck mouse.

Dont Hurt Me
Nov 17, 2005, 04:41 PM
Best Bar None! is the Quicksilver. Heck these machine are still current 5 years later with an upgrade. Beautiful, Great styling, you can open it in 1 second and replace whatever. Its all been downhill after Quicksilver.

Worst i would say the first generation G5 iMac. Looks like crap to me, midplanes ,midplanes, midplanes, problems galore.......eeek! whoever would have thought that the log on screen from years ago would become a computer.:cool:

Mighty mouse though is giving that iMac a real run for worst product.:eek:

dhdave
Nov 28, 2005, 11:21 PM

It's truly ironic, then, that Jonathan Ive, who joined Apple in 1992, designed the eMate. From a design standpoint it is simply brilliant. See this link for a really good explanation of the eMate http://www.applefritter.com/node/4502

AvSRoCkCO1067
Nov 28, 2005, 11:35 PM
Best - Titanium Powerbooks
Worst - Pages

Just from what I have purchased or used.

I hate Pages...Pathetic Word replacement IMO. Although Keynote 2 really isn't all that bad, and Pages would replace Publisher JUST FINE. They need two more programs IMO - a spreadsheet + a competitor to word. They've already got a good mail program built in the OS, and like I said, Pages can replace Publisher hands down.

plastique45
Nov 29, 2005, 12:52 AM
Best: The new iMac G5 20" with built-in iSight etc. AMAZING product.

Worst: Many contender, I'd say the PowerBook that kept on catching fire (which model was it again?): the iMac with it's 70% monitor failure rate, every mouse made by Apple since the puck, the Macintosh Portable & the 1st gen Mac mini, amazingly underpowered for the same price of an eMac (mini+keyboard/mouse + cheapest 17' CRT = more $$ than better equipped eMac??)

jefhatfield
Nov 29, 2005, 01:25 AM
the most popular on this thread: seems it's the ipod

but the best, actually, i have to agree since there were times in the past when i doubted the future of apple inc, but once ipod caught on i realized they would be around for a very long time

the worst: can't think of any

the most important: the apple II because it was the introduction to many of home computing for a whole generation of would be programmers and techie gearheads who would later go on to contribute to the field of computing and other high tech industries

Morn
Nov 29, 2005, 03:09 AM
Intel is developing some excellent processors though you know, conroe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conroe Which will probably end up in powermacs. Yonah http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_M#Yonah_.26_Sossaman for laptops/mac mini with Merom later. This roadmap is what made jobs pick intel, he was not looking at their current pentium 4 which is not very impressive.

shadowmoses
Nov 29, 2005, 03:10 AM
Best: iPod, iBook snow g3 or g4 (not clamshell)

Worst: Mighty Mouse

SHadow