PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 stuck messages badge icon

ilpadrino6
Jun 24, 2013, 07:27 PM
This happened to me in beta 1, my messages app says 2 unread messages even though I cleared it. I updated to beta 2 and it is still there. I have tried everything to clear it. Any suggestions?

OriginalFuntime
Jun 24, 2013, 08:11 PM
Yeah I've had the same problem since beta 1 as well, does anyone know how to clear native app cache without a jailbreak?

ilpadrino6
Jun 24, 2013, 09:03 PM
Glad I'm not the only one, Ive only seen jailbreak options but I really do not want to start the phone from scratch

goddamneddavid
Jun 26, 2013, 12:18 AM
This is happening to me as well - I even tried turning off badges for a while and turned them back on. No luck.

#firstworldproblem

But seriously this is really annoying

danielceleste
Jun 30, 2013, 10:47 AM
It appears to be a glitch where a message is received but does not show up in the conversation in Messages.app. It shows up in Notification Center, but tapping on it from there simply opens up the window to compose a new message to a new contact. So I deleted all of my conversations (eek) and cleared it from Notification Center. the (1) is still there. So now, I have an unread message stuck in empty space of iOS where I will never be able to officially "read" it. That's why the badge won't go away.

In beta 1, I was able to go to Settings > General > Usage > Messages and then delete all of the "Messages (Saved)" from there. Over the span of a few minutes, they cleared and the badge was gone. But now the delete option is not there. I have to hope Apple re-introduces it in beta 3, (or any of the future betas), or else this unread message will forever haunt me through my backups.

Sebct
Jun 30, 2013, 10:58 AM
If you have iMessage running on another device. (iPad or Mac) check and see if the message show up there. This seems to be a problem with the iMessage service rather than iOS7 as I have had this happen to me before whilst using iOS6. The message did eventually come through on my phone.

schobbot
Jul 1, 2013, 09:37 AM
got also the 1 as badge on my messages badge. using ios7 beta 2 on my i5 and also on my ipad mini. so ive got 3 imessage devices (macbook, ipad, iphone). dont know why the badge is only on my iphone. i deleted my conversations on ipad and iphone. no solution. i think, it was an image. it appeared on my iphone, but on my mac und ipad.

yalag
Jul 4, 2013, 05:14 PM
Does anyone know of a solution to remove the 1 count on the badge?

schobbot
Jul 8, 2013, 04:57 PM
beta 3, still the same problem.

hunger4more80
Jul 8, 2013, 08:11 PM
Same problem, ios 7 beta 3. Still have "1" unread badge notification on my messages app, drives me nuts. Logged into my MacBook for iMessage (using my email) & it didn't fix a thing. I think the problem is, is that you can't be logged in iMessage as your phone number on Mac, only on iPhone. I've read a few times to send a message to yourself & it'll clear also. No luck at all. My iPhone 5 better not do this forever.

iapplelove
Jul 8, 2013, 08:16 PM
I'm having the same issue but with emails

laxman303
Jul 8, 2013, 08:22 PM
Also have the same problem on my iPhone 5. Cleared all the archived messages on my macbook, iPad mini, and iPhone, but to no avail. I restored from a backup I have on my macbook from May and the Badge didn't show up and then tried to restore from my latest backup and it showed up again. so if it comes down to it I guess I could use my old backup and redo all my new settings, apps, etc. But I was hoping as well that beta 3 would fix it or that I could find a solution on here. I am glad, however, that I am not the only one that has this same problem.

hunger4more80
Jul 9, 2013, 04:26 PM
Someone's gotta have a solution. Smh.

SVT Amateur
Jul 9, 2013, 04:30 PM
I had the issue in beta 1, upgraded to beta 2 and tried everything I could to get rid of it. I finally just bit the bullet and started from scratch. Haven't had the issue since.

willryan42
Jul 9, 2013, 04:37 PM
I had the issue in beta 1, upgraded to beta 2 and tried everything I could to get rid of it. I finally just bit the bullet and started from scratch. Haven't had the issue since.

Yep. I experienced this issue when updating from beta 2 to 3, I think because i got a text during the update process. Tried downgrading to 6.1.4 and then upgrading to beta 3, problem came back once I restored from a backup. Ended up just have to do a clean install of beta 3.

hunger4more80
Jul 10, 2013, 08:52 AM
Yep. I experienced this issue when updating from beta 2 to 3, I think because i got a text during the update process. Tried downgrading to 6.1.4 and then upgrading to beta 3, problem came back once I restored from a backup. Ended up just have to do a clean install of beta 3.

So you restarted fresh? As in, lose all info on the phone, address book, pictures, etc? In other words. You chose not to restore from backup?

kinzoduh
Jul 10, 2013, 03:15 PM
I was in the same boat till few minutes ago. Tried almost all the things mentioned in this thread. I use iMessage on iPhone and iPad as well as on MacBook with my Apple ID. Just logged out of iMessage on my iPad and the 1 disappeared from iPhone within a minute or so. Perhaps it's just a coincidence...

Never mind. It's back and this time not going away.

batting1000
Jul 10, 2013, 03:18 PM
I'm having the same issue but with emails

This.

VSMacOne
Jul 10, 2013, 03:21 PM
Have you guys tried hard quitting the app? Ope the app, hold down Power button until red Power Off slide appears, and then hold the home button until the app quits. That has helped me in the past.

Arn0
Jul 10, 2013, 03:36 PM
I tried everything. Logged out of iMessage on iPhone, Mac, but 1 is still there.
I did a reset all settings, springboard, hard quitting app, iPhone, restarted, but 1 still there too.

yalag
Jul 11, 2013, 02:42 PM
Will pay $100 to whoever has a fix for this without deleting all my message history.

hunger4more80
Jul 12, 2013, 06:11 PM
This sucksssssss.

thacube
Jul 12, 2013, 08:02 PM
This sucksssssss.

11 unread texts is my new 0

willryan42
Jul 12, 2013, 09:57 PM
So you restarted fresh? As in, lose all info on the phone, address book, pictures, etc? In other words. You chose not to restore from backup?

Yep. I mean a lot of stuff is stored in iCloud (phone numbers, etc.), and I don't really care about saving old texts.

StogieBlues
Jul 16, 2013, 09:18 AM
Deleted a thread of 5 messages and the badge icon showing "5" remained on the home page.

Went into the Trash mailbox, restored the entire string of 5 messages to the Inbox, clicked on every individual message in the thread and the badge icon disappeared.

I think this bug comes up when you delete an unread message. Make sure to read all messages and the badge icon should work properly.

Arn0
Jul 16, 2013, 09:39 AM
We are talking about a bug on Messages app, not Mail app :s

thacube
Jul 16, 2013, 10:12 AM
Hopefully next week's Beta 4 resolves this issue...

hunger4more80
Jul 23, 2013, 04:07 PM
Hopefully next week's Beta 4 resolves this issue...
PRAYING!!!!:confused::confused:

VSMacOne
Jul 24, 2013, 08:08 AM
I received an iMessage, then did a hard reset of my iPhone without reading the message. Now I have the stuck badge icon reading 1, and no matter what I do, it won't go away. It's not enough to warrant a fresh install, but I do hope updating to beta 4 might make it go away.

bova80
Jul 24, 2013, 02:15 PM
same thing happened to me yesterday. Very annoying, hope beta 4 fixes it.

MikkiiMoo
Jul 24, 2013, 10:56 PM
I want it to goooo awayyyyyyyyyyy:( stupid notification

Efegokmen
Jul 25, 2013, 06:14 PM
Same thing happened to me 3 days ago it stuck at 6 and it increased to 8 annoyingly today.
I tried using ibackupbot and deleting message data from my latest backup but I wasnt able to find any sms.db or messages.db file. Maybe you can try this way and if you get any results, do not hesitate to share with all of us.

Arn0
Jul 25, 2013, 07:06 PM
The only way to find those files is to jailbreak our phone.

Efegokmen
Jul 26, 2013, 11:41 AM
That thing is really annoying.

schobbot
Jul 29, 2013, 12:48 PM
beta 4 removes the wrong badge!!! yeah

yalag
Jul 29, 2013, 12:58 PM
beta 4 removes the wrong badge!!! Yeah

unreal!!!!!11

hunger4more80
Jul 29, 2013, 11:08 PM
I know sooooo happy, BANGING!!!

ArchieBalfour
Sep 19, 2013, 03:22 PM
I had this, the problem was to do with iMessage. When I updated to iOS7, it created a new @icloud.com email address for iCloud. iMessage was automatically set to be sent via this path.

Go to:

Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see what options are checked. I unchecked the @icloud path and iMessages are being sent via my original path once again.

The unread messages badge was still showing so I deleted the text messages I suspected were causing the problem and it worked.

pwpmixer
Sep 20, 2013, 02:15 PM
My iOS 7 update took an unusually long time. I probably hit the servers right when the masses overtook. Since yesterday my Messages icon has been stuck with a 1, with all messages read.

I've tried all the above mentioned attempts, deleted all of yesterdays texts, turned off and on the send & receive, etc. etc. Still have the 1.

Really messing with my ocd. Any more thoughts?

Also getting duplicate photos each time I take a new one. That's another thread though...

P

Bazzer83
Sep 29, 2013, 10:44 AM
Open up your iMessage and delete an older message from one of your chats.

Nikhil1985
Oct 8, 2013, 09:12 AM
I am also facing the same issue, message icon always shows unread messages and that too of any single thread. It shows that message in notification centre but when i try to search that in messages i found them in the end, but that thread is not opening and i cannot see those messages. Tried deleting that thread but it than picks some other thread!! I m fed up with this now!

Jennaelissa
Oct 14, 2013, 06:42 PM
Will pay $100 to whoever has a fix for this without deleting all my message history.

SOLUTION!!!! All you have to do is go to the very top of the conversation of the person you think the message(s) is/are from and delete them! Worked for me perfectly! Hope this helps!

Ebcorporation
Oct 18, 2013, 11:33 PM
Clear iOS 7 stuck messages badge icon.. Think I figured it out, however this is the second time I have fixed this. I have no idea how I did it the first time.I have an 4. I noticed yesterday my phone lost a bunch of iMessages and then suddenly the the little 1 appeared, after doing everything but delete all text messages in whole and resetting the entire phone I was pretty frustrated. So I tried deleting all of the texts I received yesterday and YOWZA the 1 went away! Not sure if this will help anyone but I sure am happy to see it go:)

n8henrie
Oct 27, 2013, 11:12 PM
My iPad 2 is stuck with 5 messages. Haven't found anything useful in iFunBox, and I'd rather not jailbreak. Tried turning iMessage off and on, tried restarts, tried clearing out the running apps... no luck.

cherohackslife
Nov 8, 2013, 09:44 AM
Ok, like you guys I tried everything. Restart. Reboot. Close the app. Remove notifications. None of that crap worked.

Finally what I did was remove all the messages that were associated with the person that I believed is when it happened. So I did a search for that contact. I deleted all group messages, individual messages and anything that even mentioned this persons name.

That worked. It cleared out the notification.
Hope that helps!

Deadwalker15
Nov 20, 2013, 12:15 AM
Ok, like you guys I tried everything. Restart. Reboot. Close the app. Remove notifications. None of that crap worked.

Finally what I did was remove all the messages that were associated with the person that I believed is when it happened. So I did a search for that contact. I deleted all group messages, individual messages and anything that even mentioned this persons name.

That worked. It cleared out the notification.
Hope that helps!

This worked perfectly thanks!

pnoman
Dec 28, 2013, 08:40 AM
Select a message thread where you can scroll all the way up and select "Load Earlier Messages"

Then scroll up again and delete 2 messages, one that was sent and one that was recieved.

This did it for me...and I had 15 unread messages on my badge prior.

Hope it works for you too!

N.bartolucci
Feb 15, 2014, 09:43 AM
Select a message thread where you can scroll all the way up and select "Load Earlier Messages"

Then scroll up again and delete 2 messages, one that was sent and one that was recieved.

This did it for me...and I had 15 unread messages on my badge prior.

Hope it works for you too!

This worked for me, but is bothering me the need to delete some text to resolve this issue…i hope that Apple will solve this soon.

Eyesack
Mar 7, 2014, 07:43 PM
I was recently expiriencing this same issue where my badge app icon for iMessage was 'stuck' at 6 .. I read and tried all the different solutions other than resetting everything and starting from scratch. I did however get this fixed I simply just deleted a few of my more recent conversations, and it seemed to resolve this. I've seen people mention this before and say that it doesn't work. But I currently have an iphone 5 running on iOS 7.0.6 if that's helpful

Kuka18
Mar 26, 2014, 09:35 AM
I had this, the problem was to do with iMessage. When I updated to iOS7, it created a new @icloud.com email address for iCloud. iMessage was automatically set to be sent via this path.

Go to:

Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see what options are checked. I unchecked the @icloud path and iMessages are being sent via my original path once again.

The unread messages badge was still showing so I deleted the text messages I suspected were causing the problem and it worked.

This worked for me y'all!!!! Follow exactly what this person highlighted. The only problem is that you have to know what text message you think is the "unread" one. I knew which one is was for me. When I delete the whole thread (it was a text I sent myself and never opened), it didn't disappear right away but if you were to restart or reset your phone afterwards it will work. For me, I just re-texted myself and deleted the text again and it worked!!! Yaaaasssss!!! Thank you so much!