Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Sorry, just a rant!

I sold my G3 D-USB iBook that I built from parts on ebay about a month ago. After I got it up and running, I loaded it up with maximum memory (640) and bought an airport card for it. Shortly after I got it working the logic board I installed died :( . Thankfully the person I bought the logic board from, had an other, and offered to replace the bad one I installed. It worked great, and was 700 MHZ as opposed to 600.

I decided to get out of that ibook and sold it complete, and was 100% truthful in regards to the history, and the condition (overall good). It sold for over $450, and I put the money into a Refurbished G4 1.2Ghz that I bought on Apple's site for $700 +Tax.

So far I love it, and it is nice to be able to watch H.264 videos on it, and do so much more then I could with the other :). In the deal I ended up making ~$20 on building from parts, and selling my G3 ibook used and maxed out. :)

Again just a rant!

image.php

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I'd say you've come out ahead, although getting there was a bit of a hassle. My old man still uses his 300MHz iBook AFAIK, and it runs Panther with under 256MB RAM. Slow, but it does the job. just don't try doing much. :rolleyes:

Good buy on the iBook - I came really close to getting one of those but bills got in the way and I decided to save up and get a Rev. A Intel Powerbook next year instead since my PowerMac G4 is still running strong.

So for now my only mobile is one of my 11+ year old Powerbook 1xx series laptops. :eek: :D

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Got out ahead just by a squeak, as the total includes shipping the system and parts to my door.

I did well, and learned allot about G3 ibook Dual USB systems. Part of me wants to see the insides of my G4, but since I plan on buying applecare, and owning (enjoying) this system for years, I shouldn't mess with it :) .

image.php

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
840quadra said:
Part of me wants to see the insides of my G4, but since I plan on buying applecare, and owning (enjoying) this system for years, I shouldn't mess with it :)

Just have a look at the photos on PB Fixit -- they may satisfy your voyeuristic cravings! :D

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Marky_Mark said:
Just have a look at the photos on PB Fixit -- they may satisfy your voyeuristic cravings! :D

True,

But nothing beats having a screwdriver in your hand pulling plastic pieces apart while you maniacally laugh at your slow progress. :) .

I think I may need to see a therapist :eek: :D

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Abstract said:
No way, don't mess with your new (refurb) Mac. :eek:

Just google for photos of people who buy Macs and like being guinea pigs for everyone else.

Don't worry, I am not planning on it. The only thing I have done is install my Airport Extreme card (stole it from my PM G5 as I didn't use it) and installed an other stick of memory. I get enough taking systems apart tasks at work to tide me over :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.