PDA

View Full Version : Would you run another OS on a Mac Intel?

harveypooka
Nov 9, 2005, 01:30 PM
Would you run another OS on your future Macintel? Would you dual boot, games machine, Linux - whatever. What would be your setup?

liketom
Nov 9, 2005, 01:34 PM
no , i would not

Mac OS all the way , no linux no Windows just my old faithfull Mac OS

i'll get a xbox 360 or PS3 (when it comes out) if i wanna play games

katie ta achoo
Nov 9, 2005, 01:39 PM
I got a Mac for OS X. (ok, no I didn't)

I like OS X, and will run it.

maybe I'll run ome linux once in a while so I can pretend to be a leet hacker.

/pretend
//I am not leet
///I am quite un-leet

MacTruck
Nov 9, 2005, 01:41 PM
Hell yeah. I can get rid of these PCs then.

revisionA
Nov 9, 2005, 01:51 PM
Why the f not?

One less thing to have in my crowded room.

I only use PCs at work, and if I could dual boot my next PB then I could use it everywhere and never feel lonely...

PB keeps me warm... at least my lap.

$

camomac
Nov 9, 2005, 01:55 PM
wow. what a novel idea, having half your computer virus free, and the other half full of crap...

tech4all
Nov 9, 2005, 01:59 PM
No, just wouldn't feel right having an other OS, especially Windows, on the same computer as OS X.

Lord Blackadder
Nov 9, 2005, 01:59 PM
I've been almost exclusively a Mac user since 1993, but I am planning to get a Rev. A Intel Powerbook and run Windows as well as OS X.

The reason being that I am going to be starting a grad program that requires the use of GIS software that is (of course) Windows only.

The upshot of this is that I can have my cake and eat it too, thanks to Apple. I really hope Windows runs stably on the Powerbooks. Otherwise I'll have to journey to the Dark Side!

James Philp
Nov 9, 2005, 02:00 PM
For games, Yes.
Half life 2.

RobHague
Nov 9, 2005, 02:11 PM
Complete waste of resources. Would be like the days of NT and 9x... dual booting for 'games' or 'work'. Messy solution, and buying new Mac hardware to then Install windows on it because i want to play game X would be pointless. If i wanted to play game X that badley i would just buy a Windows PC and save myself the premium.

I would rather stick with OS X and get native versions of software i want to run under it, not switch back and forth between heaven (OSX) and hell (Windows) to use a certain app. If there is something i couldnt possibly live without on Windows then i wouldnt have a Mac now.

Did i mention im not going to install another OS on my Mac? ;)

It irritates me that the most praised 'feature' of a Mac with an Intel CPU is that people can 'Dual Boot' with Windows. Great for switchers my ass! It's not much of a 'switch' is it if your still using Windows :rolleyes:. There comes a time when you just have to 'let go' ;)

runninmac
Nov 9, 2005, 02:14 PM
It depends. Im no programer or anything like that so If someone has a nice 123 step guide I may but I don't want to accidently delete Mac OS X:eek: !

But if I did go on windows I would probobly make sure Im not connected to the internet. Just use it for things that I need softwear for.

revisionA
Nov 9, 2005, 02:16 PM
Why the f not?

One less thing to have in my crowded room.

I only use PCs at work, and if I could dual boot my next PB then I could use it everywhere and never feel lonely...

PB keeps me warm... at least my lap.

$

If I could run it on an external harddrive... then I would.

harveypooka
Nov 9, 2005, 02:18 PM
For games, Yes.
Half life 2.
I hear ya! Windows will be on another HD on my Macintel....games only. Two environments - Mac for creative/learning etc and Windows for games. And maybe a PS3 when it comes out too....and maybe MacOSX on the PS3! It's rumoured!

risc
Nov 9, 2005, 02:20 PM
No. I have no interest in Windows and all of the UNIX tools I need are already on OS X.

Lord Blackadder
Nov 9, 2005, 02:25 PM
It irritates me that the most praised 'feature' of a Mac with an Intel CPU is that people can 'Dual Boot' with Windows. Great for switchers my ass! It's not much of a 'switch' is it if your still using Windows :rolleyes:. There comes a time when you just have to 'let go' ;)

I don't think that dual-boot capability is the "most praised" feature at all - I think the potential performance improvements are. I will probably dual boot because I have to, and the new Macs will hopefully facilitate this so I won't have to buy two computers.

Xenious
Nov 9, 2005, 02:28 PM
No, but I would run Virtual PC. Especially if current 3d games could run at full speed.

wordmunger
Nov 9, 2005, 02:31 PM
Windows could be handy for testing Web designs. Other than that, no.

SummerBreeze
Nov 9, 2005, 02:32 PM
Why would I? I don't use Windows now, I'm using my old Windows box as a server, and I'm not going to start using it later.

wPod
Nov 9, 2005, 02:36 PM
id probably get a second removable HD for running a windows/gamming machine. i wouldnt want windows to touch my normal HD!!! heh

radiantm3
Nov 9, 2005, 02:40 PM
http://www.winehq.com/

Dagless
Nov 9, 2005, 02:47 PM
Yes. I could do away with my cheap PC. or maybe not even a dual boot, if I could run my game making app under an emulated Windows environment but still be able to use the wonderful keyboard shortcuts, expose hotspots, and the much better touchpad tracking under OSX then i'd be very happy. therefore no dual boot!

i cant believe this. ONE SINGLE app is holding me back from being a full time OSX user. it hurts a little.

me_94501
Nov 9, 2005, 02:52 PM
I'd probably stay OS X only.

zap2
Nov 9, 2005, 02:52 PM
nope,Mac OSX does all my computer needs:)

Bear
Nov 9, 2005, 02:59 PM
Why reboot? If I need to run Windows apps, I'll use Virtual PC.

Rebooting is disruptive - why bother?

Will Cheyney
Nov 9, 2005, 03:00 PM
I would probably have XP installed as a 'secondary' OS... but I would only use it for testing, possibly some games and 3D Movie Maker :)

atszyman
Nov 9, 2005, 03:05 PM
Somewhat depends on how slick they can make a dual boot interface. If they can figure out some way to make the two OSes run in environments that make them easy to switch between, or if VPC gets to run at close to native speed I will install Windows to be able to use some of my engineering apps that don't have Mac equivalents. However if it requires rebooting to use them I'll probably stick with my 2 computer setup.

Dr. Dastardly
Nov 9, 2005, 03:10 PM
This is the number one thing I'm looking forward to the Intel switch. I can get rid of 4 other computers and buy the top of the line Powermac.

Oh the clutter! All this damn CLUTTER!:eek:

ssj300
Nov 9, 2005, 03:30 PM
i bought mac cuz its pretty

and ill load windows onto it as my primary OS

i speak the truth

harveypooka
Nov 9, 2005, 03:53 PM
Wine isn't that great though is it? How far have they come in emulating performance? 3D and video etc?

rickvanr
Nov 9, 2005, 03:57 PM
I don't think I would. I have a console for games.

kgarner
Nov 9, 2005, 04:16 PM
I am much more interested in a Virtual PC/VMWare setup, or, even better, a Wine-like translation layer. That said, the only reason I would do it to test web designes on IE and Firefox for Windows. Not much of a gamer and MUCH prefer OS X to anything else out there.

jmufellow
Nov 9, 2005, 05:18 PM
I probably wouldn't dual boot, because OS X is suiting my needs well as of now. But I think that the prospect of a dual boot is a good one because it will make switchers less nervous about switching if they know that they can, as a last resort get windows back

mad jew
Nov 10, 2005, 03:59 AM
I'd probably put XP on it. To be honest, I'm just about to buy a Dell for XP (replace an older one). I don't mind the bastard. Of course, I'd never use it as a primary OS. :)

FadeToBlack
Nov 10, 2005, 04:18 AM
To put it simply, no.

I don't need Windows, so there's no reason for me to run it. I'm not a big fan of Linux, either. OS X all the way.

shadowmoses
Nov 10, 2005, 04:52 AM
I too would probably stick XP on it so i could occasionally use the small little apps that i may need for instance DVDshrink and a few games, but it would never become more than a utility OS.

Shadow

jer2eydevil88
Nov 10, 2005, 05:06 AM
Doesn't this whole topic hinge on if Apple uses a motherboard chipset with drivers for Windows? I haven't a clue how things will turn out but it seems unlikely that Apple would actively design the new Mactel systems to be fully Windows compatible boxes.

On a side note if they are capable of running XP or 2000 I would dual boot for playing Half Life 2 on the go (Laptops all the way).

harveypooka
Nov 10, 2005, 05:31 AM
Doesn't this whole topic hinge on if Apple uses a motherboard chipset with drivers for Windows? I haven't a clue how things will turn out but it seems unlikely that Apple would actively design the new Mactel systems to be fully Windows compatible boxes.
Good point. Perhaps they'll make it near impossible for us to run Windows? What sort of limitations can they actually put on? The Developer boxes are fairly standard PC parts but Apple has said they're just the first incarnation. I hope they find a way (perhaps impossible) to stop OSX running on other PC's but allow Dual boots. Dual booting could definitely boost Mac sales.

iMeowbot
Nov 10, 2005, 05:46 AM
Good point. Perhaps they'll make it near impossible for us to run Windows? What sort of limitations can they actually put on?
There's not much in the way of reasons for them to intentionally break Windows, but ensuring compatibility isn't likely to be very high on their list of priorities :) Any breakage would probably be a short term obstacle, assuming that they continue releasing Darwin source updates and the important devices are covered at that level. At worst, it will take interested people a while to probe around and figure out how to talk to any weird Apple parts.

jmort
Nov 10, 2005, 05:47 AM
wow. what a novel idea, having half your computer virus free, and the other half full of crap...

I couldn't put it better. I hate the idea (even with a partition drive, nay, even with two separate drives) of having a cluttered, viral, spyware-infested, ugly, bloated, unsecured OS like windows sharing the same space as the piece of beauty that is OS X. For that reason I have two machines: My powerbook that I love, adore and use all the time, and My devil of an HP crap-box that serves one purpose in life: Halo Multiplayer!

Every time I get on that HP, I just can't stand how the experience leaves me feeling bombarded by ads and erros and freezes, and, well, it leaves me wanting to get back to my mac.

I think if I wanted to run any PC stuff, I would prefer to be able to boot it from an external drive so that I could keep my mac stuff contained.

sushi
Nov 10, 2005, 05:48 AM
Would you run another OS on your future Macintel? Would you dual boot, games machine, Linux - whatever. What would be your setup?
My guess is that if we can dual boot, we will be able to triple boot. If so:

- Mac OS X

- Winders

- Linux

One computer able to run three OS. Wonderful. Simply wonderful! :)

Sushi

jmort
Nov 10, 2005, 05:54 AM
My guess is that if we can dual boot, we will be able to triple boot. If so:

- Mac OS X

- Winders

- Linux

One computer able to run three OS. Wonderful. Simply wonderful! :)

Sushi

I see the appeal in this, I really do. I'm even excited for those of us mac users who will have an elegant solution for the problem of too-much-hardware-crap-itis, but I simply have no need for anything but X, at this time.

jmort
Nov 10, 2005, 05:56 AM
Do any of you guys suppose the ability to dual boot might hurt Apple. I've heard that this was a mistake IBM made with OS/2 warp (lol, remember those commercials?) when they made their stuff dual-bootable, thus removing any incentive for developers to make software for OS/2 since a user could just boot into windows to run it.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Nov 10, 2005, 06:16 AM
Probably not.

I have believe Wine should take care of all Windows spesific needs (not that I have any at the moment).

The only thing is that it might be nice to have a version of the latest IE for Windows running, for testing purposes, like wordmunger said, other than that I don't see why... :)

ksz
Nov 10, 2005, 06:34 AM
Most certainly yes.

As much as I think Windows should come with a Surgeon General's Health Warning, I have to use it.

ewinemiller
Nov 10, 2005, 07:26 AM
If I can get a dual core 64-bit apple notebook with a decent video card that will dual boot with Windows, I can get rid of (or not purchase to begin with) 3 other machines. That saves my company a ton of money. Apple would be my machine of choice instead of Dell now.

Kimi
Nov 10, 2005, 10:05 AM
No, but I would run Virtual PC. Especially if current 3d games could run at full speed.
Same here. I'm getting my Mac so I can use it as a Mac, I'm nor too fussed about games as I've got my PS2 and I'll have a PS3 too when they come out. But if VPC works good then I'll use it for games.

jeremy.king
Nov 10, 2005, 10:27 AM
My job usually requires me to run Windows, so having a dual boot apple laptop would be ideal, no need to manage multiple machines.

MacRumorUser
Nov 10, 2005, 10:42 AM
Haven't people been running Windows on their macs for a good while now ith Virtual PC?

Well at least with Intel inside we'll be able to run native Windows or a much faster Virtual PC that's comparable.

Personally I love OS-X and all of the software I use is Mac based, however in the studio we do have an old PC running Money 2006 & TAS which I would love to throw into a skip and replace with a Mac, so yes I probably would run Windows on a mac if only for this purpose, A Intel Mini would be nice.

Raid
Nov 10, 2005, 10:55 AM
I would run some version of windows to run games, that is until they port them to Mac. If I ever do put windows on my Mac I'd make sure that it boots off of another drive or partition and have it as 'bare bones' as possible... Hopefully limiting the maintance requirements ... maybe :rolleyes:

Arcus
Nov 10, 2005, 11:14 AM
Heck yes I would! I would put Windowze on a second drive as to not pollute the main. I have two apps that I run in Win, Ultima Online and the upcoming Elderscrolls Four: Oblivion. All else is mac.

rdowns
Nov 10, 2005, 11:16 AM
Absolutely. It would allow me to give my company back that awful turd of a laptop I need to use once in a while.

louis_sx
Nov 10, 2005, 11:52 AM
If it'll run WOW in OSX as fast (or nearly as fast) as my current PC in Windows, I'd not dual-boot. However, the 12" PowerBook I had wasn't fast enough for my liking (and a dual 533DA certainly isn't; upgrading to a dual 1.6 with a Radeon 9800...if that does it, my Dell is going bye-bye and an Intel-based Mac would then be a no-brainer)

Epicurus
Nov 10, 2005, 12:07 PM
If dual-boot is any smoother than VirtualPC (hopefully faster at least), then some of the VPC crowd will move to dual-boot in a heartbeat. If the whole process is difficult, confusing, and slow, then casual users will shy away. Why spend hours and hours setting up the system when you only want to run one software title for an hour a week. I might go for it if I can run Pro/E and Visio without any headaches. Some more recent switchers might have licenses for big apps (like Pro/E or Matlab or Mathematica; non-student) that want to switch for pretty much everything they do, but need to keep that one old title running smoothly. Now they could buy two computers, but that would mean sacrificing quality on one of the two. Dual-boot macs could fit nicely into this segment of the market. Of course, Apple probably won't play up the idea that you can install this option, but then again, who knows. Maybe they will just to show off how much faster Mac OS X is when running on literally the same hardware. :D

aristobrat
Nov 10, 2005, 02:19 PM
If Quicken would pull their heads out of their arse with their Mac version (or better yet, Microsoft would release a Mac version of Money), then I'd have zero interest in running another OS on my Mac.

Xephian
Nov 10, 2005, 06:22 PM
Yes, I will probably do a triple boot.

generik
Nov 10, 2005, 06:39 PM
Windows on Mac Intel?

I put diesel in my BMW too! :D

UnheardOf
Nov 10, 2005, 06:44 PM
Unless/until they manage to get .exe's to run seamlessly on OS X, yes. It's damned foolish to say that anything you can do on windows can be done on Mac. The fact is that there's a LOT more companies building windows apps than Mac apps, so naturally there will be more/greater selection of windows apps than Mac apps. Of course, I'd never use windows for normal, every-day computing, as Mac is CLEARLY superior. :p

muffinman
Nov 10, 2005, 10:21 PM
I would love to see dual booting, as long as they could switch between the two OS fast.

I really doubt this will happen though.

2nyRiggz
Nov 10, 2005, 10:23 PM
Nope....keeping it pure

Bless

mms
Nov 10, 2005, 10:28 PM
Ha! That's a good one.

Installing Windows is just asking for trouble. Don't even get me started about installing Windows on a Mac.

sushi
Nov 11, 2005, 11:37 AM
Do any of you guys suppose the ability to dual boot might hurt Apple. I've heard that this was a mistake IBM made with OS/2 warp (lol, remember those commercials?) when they made their stuff dual-bootable, thus removing any incentive for developers to make software for OS/2 since a user could just boot into windows to run it.
In this case, I don't believe it will.

What I believe will happen, is more folks will try a Mac since they know if all else fails they can still go back to Windows on it. Worst case is that they have a more expensive PC. Best case is that Mac OS X works well for them and they have no need to use the PC side.

It sort of creates a win-win situation.

Sushi

sushi
Nov 11, 2005, 11:48 AM
If dual-boot is any smoother than VirtualPC (hopefully faster at least), then some of the VPC crowd will move to dual-boot in a heartbeat.
Personally, I like VPC.

All I need to do is set up my HD/system the way I want and make a backup of the HD image on to CD/DVD. Then when my Winders system goes down the toilet all I need to do is trash the current HD image, and copy the back up one from CD/DVD. Takes a few minutes and my Winders machine is up and running perfectly with all settings intact. This is even simpler than a restoring an image on a real PC -- quicker too.

Who knows, maybe Microsoft will make VPC to run faster since it will have less to emulate. Why would Microsoft do this? Income! Many Mac users still need VPC for their needs because they cannot get away from Winders entirely. So this way, they create a better Winders environment for the user which increases VPC sales. And for Microsoft they win again because not only do VPC sales go up, so do Winders sales. So for Microsoft there is really no down side other than development costs.

And what is really cool, by making a better VPC, you can focus on the whole market. Many folks are not comfortable with dual, triple or quad booting a PC.

VPC becomes the work around. Plus, VPC can boot much faster if you exit and save the current status which is a very nice feature.

Sushi

denial
Nov 11, 2005, 12:16 PM
Keeping it pure as well. Just Mac OS.

aristobrat
Nov 11, 2005, 12:22 PM
Out of curiosity for the "purists", if you ever had a need to regularly run a Windows-only program (god forbid) that didn't run in VPC (double-god forbid), would you prefer to run it on a separate stand-alone Windows machine, or to be able to dual-boot?

efoto
Nov 11, 2005, 12:36 PM
I said no simply because of space-saving and because it's windows :p

Most installs take 5GB these days, not something I want to give away on my mobile for the simple convenience of having XP for that twice-a-year situation where my PB can't do something.

On a desktop I might do it, maybe, but I have a running PC that is more than fast enough to run XP alone....all I do is have it fold all day because I don't use Windows anymore :D

jdechko
Nov 11, 2005, 01:01 PM
I would say yes, but its very conditional. First off, the main reason I would dual boot anyway would be for games... If WINE ran at 75+% speed for games and applications (I use autocad currently, for which there is no OS X version) then I would gladly use that. However, my gaming days are limited and for those times that I do game, its almost always on a console, so that part of the equation is rapidly dwindling. Also, if I leave this job and no longer do CAD, then that part of the equation would be gone and all that would be left in windows is ... well, solitaire :) .

But if i did dual-boot, it would be OS X and a compact installation of Win2k with a lot of stuff turned off.

Peter Griffin
Nov 11, 2005, 02:51 PM
Interesting thread... If you were to install Windows on an Apple computer would it still be susceptible to PC viruses? If not, then I don't see any reason NOT to install another OS for the purpose of convenience.

aristobrat
Nov 11, 2005, 03:06 PM
If Windows was able to access the Apple partitions, I don't see any reason that a Windows virus couldn't do some damage to the Apple side.

fdisk is fdisk (or diskpart is diskpart ... whatever it's called nowadays). :)

Clix Pix
Nov 11, 2005, 03:13 PM
I bought Macs to get AWAY from Windows and all its problems....no way would I ever contaminate either of my new beauties or any future Macs I would be buying by adding in Windows.... UGH! I still have an old WIN XP Pro laptop and an old WIN XP Pro desktop, both of which work and if I need something that is accessible only by using Windows, fine, I'll fire one of them up. I haven't run into that situation much, except for occasionally needing to view/hear something with Windows Media Player or Real Player, neither of which I have installed on my Macs and neither of which do I intend to install on my Macs.

OTB

alexprice
Nov 11, 2005, 03:39 PM
cI would dual boot with windows for games.

For a complete computer lifestyle.

Marky_Mark
Nov 11, 2005, 04:44 PM
Yuk! Why would I want to do that? :eek:

And go back to firewalls, anti-virus and shedloads of spyware? I don't think so! Urgh! Just the thought of it! <shudder>

MacRumorUser
Nov 12, 2005, 05:18 AM
Interesting thread... If you were to install Windows on an Apple computer would it still be susceptible to PC viruses? If not, then I don't see any reason NOT to install another OS for the purpose of convenience.

Of course in would be susceptible. Its not the hardware that virus attack, its the software :rolleyes:

Longhorn is looking promising so I don't see why people are off put by dual booting. I would'nt dual boot for windows xp though, its not worth it.

satans_banjo
Nov 12, 2005, 05:40 AM
i'd have vista installed on a separate HDD (when vista comes out). that would be good for games, plus if the HDD gets infected then i could just format it from the OSX HDD

ReanimationLP
Nov 12, 2005, 05:53 AM
QUAD BOOT. :D

Windows XP (Vista when it comes along)
Mac OS X Tiger
SuSE Linux 10
Fedora Core 4

Mord
Nov 12, 2005, 06:44 AM
i run another OS on my main mac anyway, so nothing changes, the linux games situation is improving as now i dont even run windows on my pc as i can play WoW and battlefield 2 on it under linux.

though i may have to run windows when i go to uni.....

Bear
Nov 12, 2005, 07:21 AM
i'd have vista installed on a separate HDD (when vista comes out). that would be good for games, plus if the HDD gets infected then i could just format it from the OSX HDDPresuming the infection doesn't wipe out non Windows partitions.

oober_freak
Nov 12, 2005, 07:35 AM
I'll take out 3 keys.. alt+ctrl+del from my keyboard and i'll use win 95 :eek:

j/k

It'll be good ol' mac on a mactel lappie when i do my PG after 2 yrs... for now this ppc mini is just fine ;)

jadekitty24
Nov 12, 2005, 07:28 PM
Absolutely not. I can see where others may need this, but not I. I am a firm believer in "if it aint broke don't fix it". (Ooh, that's a good one for the cliche's thread!!) My needs are very simple, and OSX exceeds them. I am very happy with what I have and see no need for change. But like I said, I can see where others would have the need for this. (A world with something other than OSX??? What has the world COME TO???)
*hides in OSX world, refusing to budge*

colosodian
Nov 13, 2005, 06:28 AM
Id dual boot with XP Pro for when I need to run those programs that just dont work under emulation.

JohnEZ
Nov 13, 2005, 07:29 AM
Personally, the only way I'd ever run Windows on Intel is if it was possible to do so from an external drive; I'd never, under any circumstances, install it in a separate partition on the main drive.

Peter Griffin
Nov 13, 2005, 07:34 AM
Id dual boot with XP Pro for when I need to run those programs that just dont work under emulation.

Same here, I've heard that Virtual PC is almost impossible to use in terms of speed. If there isn't any security issues then why not enjoy the best of both worlds?

stevep
Nov 13, 2005, 08:23 AM
Personally, the only way I'd ever run Windows on Intel is if it was possible to do so from an external drive; I'd never, under any circumstances, install it in a separate partition on the main drive.
Paranoia.
Use a hardware firewall, don't visit dodgy web-sites, keep your anti-virus software up to date and Win XP is fine. It is very unlikely that even an infected Win installation on a partitioned drive could infect another OS.
There are many advantages to a dual-boot system, as people have outlined above they include: able to use OS-specific software, ability to back up files from one OS to another, physical space saving, less hardware to buy etc.
The disadvantage would be the reliance on one machine - if the hardware fails you stand to lose the lot.

Chip NoVaMac
Nov 13, 2005, 08:27 AM
If I could run it on an external harddrive... then I would.

Same here. There is no way given MS's virus/malware problems that I would use a single HDD for a dual boot solution. Having access to Windows would be great for those few programs that still resist porting over to OSX (like RatDVD).

d_and_n5000
Nov 13, 2005, 09:19 AM
I would, for the pure reasoning of (a), I can freak out my friends by putting Windows on a Mac, (b), so I can convince my parents to buy an iMac because they can keep Windows, and I can have Mac OS X, and (c), so I can do anything on an iBook, cause I have windows to take care of anything I can't do on OS X. It's the only way I can't lose!;) (besides, then I can do a science fair project on whether which hand you use has an effect on which OS you prefer on 1 computer! i can't do it this year because I'm missing the Mac half-got the Windows part right here!)

Lobo
Nov 18, 2005, 12:06 PM
As soon as apple releases an intel powerbook and it can be confirmed that windows can easily and more importantly powerfully be used within that sweet metal apple casing, my 15in 1.67 G4 will be on ebay.

I'm going to design school, but my focus is on architecture and while during my first year I've been able to get by with illustrator for my vector creation needs, I'm soon going to have to go full on autocad. For this reason I've been struggling with giving up my beloved powerbook, but if I can get apple and autocad on one notebook, I'll be in mobile computing, aluminum incased heaven.