PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G5/Xbox 360 Compatibility

jmcgee
Nov 9, 2005, 05:10 PM
Greetings,

Our team takes astrophysical simluations of double-binary mass transfer systems and renders the objects as a concatenated frame-stock, then exported as a Quicktime movie. We will start rendering these in High-Defintion soon in the file formats described below using codecs like H264, Quicktime, MPEG2, etc. We want to stream these Quicktime movies in High Definition to an HDTV using an Xbox 360. Currently, a Mac or PC cannot drive the HDTV at true HD since the digital signal cannot be converted to NTSC interlaced HDTV format. The Xbox360 boasts it can do this with a Windows Media Center PC, but what about Mac!? If anyone can point to a reference or address, phone number (besides Xbox, Microsoft, or Apple customer support), we would be thankful for that.

Goals: The Xbox 360 must be able to ...

1. (Accept)Stream/save to hard disk digital movie formats from PowerMacG5
2. Stream or Playback(from hard disk) digital movie formats to HDTV at its native HD resolution-say of 768i, 1080i, etc
3. Stream/Playback .mov, .m2v, .m4v,etc movie file format

PowerMac G5 I/O:
1. DVI-D
2. Firewire 900, 600
3. 100 MBps Ethernet
4. USB 2.0

HDTV I/O:
1. RGB
2. HD Component
3. Composite
4. S-Video
5. Coax (NTSC)

Questions:

1. If the Xbox 360 can meet our goals, how exactly, w.r.t. hardware/software configuration, will it do this?
2. Is a WindowsXP 2005 w/Rollup 2 update Media Center PC the ONLY way to communicate media through Xbox 360? What about Mac?

rdowns
Nov 9, 2005, 06:20 PM
How many times are you going to post this crap?

iGary
Nov 9, 2005, 06:22 PM
How many times are you going to post this crap?

I love me some rdowns when he's sick and pissed off. :D :p

Lacero
Nov 9, 2005, 06:23 PM
The person is not a newb that just came here to spam, so we let them off once (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1299584#post1299584).

But if they do it again then...

http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/macros/banhamster.jpg

mraila
Nov 9, 2005, 06:24 PM
uuuuhhhhhhh... hey Beavis, what is this guy talking about?!?!

MacTruck
Nov 9, 2005, 06:33 PM
He is quoting a scene from Star Trek. :rolleyes:

Sun Baked
Nov 9, 2005, 06:41 PM
Sorry jmcgee,

Doesn't look like people are going to forgive you for you spamfest, which means even if you think you question is uber important -- you screwed it up.

Looks like they are going to hammer your thread until it is closed.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20418&stc=1

You can alway try posting at the Mac Achaia (http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/8300945231)

But a hint, they don't tolerate this type of behavior either.

Edit: Plus they may be willing to go into the technical details a lot more over there.

rdowns
Nov 10, 2005, 04:44 AM
I love me some rdowns when he's sick and pissed off. :D :p

Right back at you.

MacRumorUser
Nov 10, 2005, 10:58 AM
Just buy a frigging Xbox 360 when they come out and experiment yourself.

No one here has one; I assume, (unless they work for Microsoft and don't mind stealing stock :rolleyes: ) as it's not available till the end of the month and hence our experiences with hoooking it up to a G5 are going to be nonexistant.

You could always buy an existing Xbox, Put a modchip inside and run Xbox Media Center as this outputs in both 720p or 1080i already.

You can then ethernet connect this to your Mac, and by simply adding a folder link in one of the ini files, which is accessable via FTP on your mac, stream video from your movies folder to the Xbox and onto your HDTV.

Hope that helps.

Greetings,

Our team takes astrophysical simluations of double-binary mass transfer systems and renders the objects as a concatenated frame-stock, then exported as a Quicktime movie. We will start rendering these in High-Defintion soon in the file formats described below using codecs like H264, Quicktime, MPEG2, etc. We want to stream these Quicktime movies in High Definition to an HDTV using an Xbox 360. Currently, a Mac or PC cannot drive the HDTV at true HD since the digital signal cannot be converted to NTSC interlaced HDTV format. The Xbox360 boasts it can do this with a Windows Media Center PC, but what about Mac!? If anyone can point to a reference or address, phone number (besides Xbox, Microsoft, or Apple customer support), we would be thankful for that.

Goals: The Xbox 360 must be able to ...

1. (Accept)Stream/save to hard disk digital movie formats from PowerMacG5
2. Stream or Playback(from hard disk) digital movie formats to HDTV at its native HD resolution-say of 768i, 1080i, etc
3. Stream/Playback .mov, .m2v, .m4v,etc movie file format

PowerMac G5 I/O:
1. DVI-D
2. Firewire 900, 600
3. 100 MBps Ethernet
4. USB 2.0

HDTV I/O:
1. RGB
2. HD Component
3. Composite
4. S-Video
5. Coax (NTSC)

Questions:

1. If the Xbox 360 can meet our goals, how exactly, w.r.t. hardware/software configuration, will it do this?
2. Is a WindowsXP 2005 w/Rollup 2 update Media Center PC the ONLY way to communicate media through Xbox 360? What about Mac?

Sdashiki
Nov 10, 2005, 11:02 AM
What the hell?????

MisterMe
Nov 10, 2005, 12:57 PM
Greetings,

....If I answer your question, will I get a co-authorship on your papers?

superbovine
Nov 10, 2005, 04:25 PM
http://www.xbox.com/en-us/dev/default.htm