PDA

View Full Version : another REV? thread

Kyle Nerder
Nov 9, 2005, 06:56 PM
Hello,

I just bought a used G5 PowerMac. Got it from someone on eBay. I have a tracking # and it does show it's weight. So I know I haven't been scammed. Unless they filled a box with bricks. LOL:p

the description said.
PowerMac G5 2.0ghz
512mb ram
expanable to 4gb
ATI Radeon X800 w/256mb ram
160gb HD

Is this enough to tell what revolution it is?
I am way too pumped for this machine. My iBook G3 has been a trooper for 3 years and I wanted some thing to keep up with todays complex life style. My iBook wouldn't even play music vids from iTunes.

Also I think I got a good deal on it, but I want some one to burst my bubble on what its really worth.
THaNkS

Bear
Nov 9, 2005, 07:05 PM
That sounds like the previous revision. I'm basing that on the video board option and the 4GB ram limit on the system.

adrian-cg
Nov 9, 2005, 08:21 PM
That sounds like the previous revision. I'm basing that on the video board option and the 4GB ram limit on the system.
I thought the previous rev was expandable to 8GB? :confused:

Kyle Nerder
Nov 9, 2005, 08:37 PM
don't worry, I am confused too. I am not worrying and I bought the thing....Sometimes people don't know what they are selling. I am feeling lucky anyways. I couldn't afford to put 4gb of ram at it anyhow.:cool:

Josh396
Nov 9, 2005, 09:05 PM
I thought the previous rev was expandable to 8GB? :confused:
Not the dual 2.0.

Bear
Nov 9, 2005, 09:06 PM
I thought the previous rev was expandable to 8GB? :confused:Only the 2.3GHz and 2.7GHz system. In that rev, the dual 20GHz has a different motherboard.

joecool85
Nov 10, 2005, 08:15 AM
Right, making it a rev C box. Mine is a rev B, the prior rev where the 2.0 had 8gb capabilities and PCI-X.

tekmoe
Nov 10, 2005, 08:39 AM
so what rev is my dual-core 2.0? a rev. d?

andiwm2003
Nov 10, 2005, 08:45 AM
so what rev is my dual-core 2.0? a rev. d?

since it's a new processor, a new gpu, a new logic board, a new layout of the whole interior i guess we should start at REV. A again.

Kyle Nerder
Nov 10, 2005, 09:02 AM
Perhaps someone could make a list. Oldest to newest of PowerMacs. Listing processors, ram, video cards and other options to show how the computer has progressed.

None of this really matters to me as long as I have reliable & fast machine. I'm sure that won't be a problem since I am coming from a 3 year old iBook.

milky23
Nov 10, 2005, 09:31 AM
I don't know what revision of PowerMac my school has, but it is 2ghz dual proc and expandable to 8gb of memory.

Bear
Nov 10, 2005, 09:59 AM
Perhaps someone could make a list. Oldest to newest of PowerMacs. Listing processors, ram, video cards and other options to show how the computer has progressed.
...Try here (http://guides.macrumors.com/PowerMac_G5) for that info.

Kyle Nerder
Nov 12, 2005, 09:57 AM
I finally got my hands on my PowerMac G5 2.0. It is soooo nice. and I haven't even turned it on. LOL

The lady never shipped the dvi to vga adapter. It is so had to look at it and not use it.

Originally I was told that the memory was expandable to 4gb, but after opening it I see a total of 8 slots. so I guess that means 8gb max memory.

another disappointment is that it came with a combo drive. I didn't know the 2.0ghz was available without a superdrive....oh well. I started another thread asking what superdrives can be installed.

Going to the Apple store today and getting the vga adapter!