Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
:confused: My Performa 630CD question is: What size limitation is the HD? I have the original Quantum 250MB ATA still in there, found some old SIMM RAM at work for a total of 12MB. rescued a ZIP 100 SCSI also from work, all this stuff was heading for the trash. But they said if you can use it take it, which I did. Now I want to upgrade the HD. Now I have 2 external SCSI Zip drives, but the HD is lacking in terms of size, any suggestions.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
what os are you running? I beleve system 7 could take up to 4gbs(not sure.)
the mac's internal hard drive is standard size,but is IDE, not SCSI.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
macEfan is right, the 630s uses IDE disks.

Check out The 630 FAQ.

I'm not getting into Apple's tech info at the moment :confused: but I don't think the Performa has any limitations (if you get the right disk) but the OS might have problems with partitions over 2 or 4 GB (or whatever the limit is).

aladds

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2005
krausyao said:
Before System 7.5 the maximum volume size is 2GB. System 7.5 supports up to 4GB. Mac OS 8.1 or later supported greater than 4GB using HFS+.

Not so, I have a 9GB SCSI drive in my Quadra 840AV running Mac OS 7.6.1...

BSauer1219

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2009
North Barrington, IL
Really Need Help

I have a Mac Performa630CD that I have designed on and kept business records on for the past 15 years. Last night it suddenly stopped and the following message appeared :

Floating Point Coprocessor Not Installed.

Sorry a system error occurred "finder".

It then recommended restart . . . but nothing happened when I attempted to do that. I tried repairing it with the os disc . . . but it could not find the hard drive.

Anyone have any ideas on my next step. I really have to have access to this hard drive.

Thanks in advance.

seamus26

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
:confused: My Performa 630CD question is: What size limitation is the HD? I have the original Quantum 250MB ATA still in there, found some old SIMM RAM at work for a total of 12MB. rescued a ZIP 100 SCSI also from work, all this stuff was heading for the trash. But they said if you can use it take it, which I did. Now I want to upgrade the HD. Now I have 2 external SCSI Zip drives, but the HD is lacking in terms of size, any suggestions.

I know that I personally installed a 6GB drive on my 638CD and partitioned it into three separate drives. It has worked just fine for a long time. :)

I have a Mac Performa630CD that I have designed on and kept business records on for the past 15 years. Last night it suddenly stopped and the following message appeared :

It then recommended restart . . . but nothing happened when I attempted to do that. I tried repairing it with the os disc . . . but it could not find the hard drive.

Anyone have any ideas on my next step. I really have to have access to this hard drive.

Thanks in advance.

The 68LC040 didn't have a built in FPU. I used a program called SoftFPU or something back in the day, but it was quirky. Some software required a floating point unit to operate. As far as repairing your drive can you get your hands on an old copy of Norton Utilities? It's what I always used. It's worth a shot.

macgenius09

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009

sorry but I looked and it can't go any higher :( sad for me as well cause I wanted to upgrade mine as well :(:( What OS do you have? :D :apple:

Thanks in advance.

Must be a Restart freeze, try pressing: ctrl, :apple:, power to restart. If that doesn't work try booting up with the startup disk...

sorry but I looked and it can't go any higher :( sad for me as well cause I wanted to upgrade mine as well :(:( What OS do you have? :D :apple:

well you can but a different HD in the computer if you have a problem with your current HD. :cool::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.