Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Here, in chronological order, is the Wired News list of the 10 worst software bugs of all time … so far.

1982 -- Soviet gas pipeline. Operatives working for the Central Intelligence Agency allegedly (.pdf) plant a bug in a Canadian computer system purchased to control the trans-Siberian gas pipeline. The Soviets had obtained the system as part of a wide-ranging effort to covertly purchase or steal sensitive U.S. technology. The CIA reportedly found out about the program and decided to make it backfire with equipment that would pass Soviet inspection and then fail once in operation. The resulting event is reportedly the largest non-nuclear explosion in the planet's history.

http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,69355,00.html

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
They are certainly big bugs, but for the "average" computer user... well, can you say "Word 6 for Mac"?
:)

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
Isn't a bug usually an unintentional software error? If the CIA did do it on purpose, I'm not sure it counts as a bug. Maybe more like a trojan horse?

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
iGary said:
I bet Les has seen some bugs in his day. :D

Ugly, ugly ones. Okay, it's true... I am INCREDIBLY old. But how did you know? Word 6 reference? Man, I'm so old I used a slide rule in High School.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Les Kern said:
Man, I'm so old I used a slide rule in High School.

So did I. :eek:

It was compulsory in secondary-school maths... also remember (and have completely forgotten about) log tables too.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
That Soviet Pipeline incident woulkd be a great starting point for a Tom Clancy book. :D

I think Internet Explorer should be on that list as well.

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
Believe it or not, the slide rule is still taught... grautuated high school in 2002 and learned about it in Trig.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
aloofman said:
Isn't a bug usually an unintentional software error? If the CIA did do it on purpose, I'm not sure it counts as a bug. Maybe more like a trojan horse?
Allegedly. If they didn't do it, then, well, I guess it was a bug. :cool:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
pinto32 said:
Believe it or not, the slide rule is still taught... grautuated high school in 2002 and learned about it in Trig.
Do they make the real ones any more, or just the plastic stuff now? I still keep a old Pickett around, you never know when you'll need a nice, heavy blunt chunk of metal.

devilot said:
What is it?!
Twenty bucks, same as in town.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Wow. Takes me back. I did my O Levels in England in 1981 (16 yo) and we used log tables. Calculators were FORBIDDEN. We could use calculators for the A levels (18yo) though. Log tables were a pain. We learnt HOW to use them, but not WHY they worked. Life was one big senseless routine... So nothing's changed really :D Coincidentally, I was thinking about sliderules the other day. Time to Google/Wiki, I think.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I had to do a little search on that Russian Explosion - and found this - very interesting.

I glad no one was hurt during the explosion, but it is also quite funny in a way since the Russians were stealing the technology in the first place.

D

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
pinto32 said:
I learned about it as well, if you mean just mentioning it briefly before going back to our new, fancy TI-84s. I have trouble imagining a modern high school actually teaching kids to use a slide rule as an actual part of the course.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Les Kern said:
They are certainly big bugs, but for the "average" computer user... well, can you say "Word 6 for Mac"?
:)

I don't know if exploits count as "bugs", but surely the windows RPC/DCOM exploit a year or two ago has to be one of the biggest bugs in history. Affected four major windows platforms (98, NT, XP, and 2000 i believe) at a time when computer ownership eclipses previous growth records.

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
We actually learned how to use it, abeit in a limited way I suppose. We spent about a week on it, because we "should know that life can exist without computers." It was kinda cool, unfortunatly, I failed to use it and thus lost it.

macmvn

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2000
If you think you had it bad

We used to have to put them on the bottom of our shoes so we could ski to schoo. Uphill. Both directions.
:rolleyes:

It was compulsory in secondary-school maths... also remember (and have completely forgotten about) log tables too.[/QUOTE]

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
mms said:
I learned about it as well, if you mean just mentioning it briefly before going back to our new, fancy TI-84s. I have trouble imagining a modern high school actually teaching kids to use a slide rule as an actual part of the course.

Yep, we talked about it a little bit in AP Calculus before going back to the TI-89 calculators (which I played frogger on...), ah I love technology. Of course college math classes don't allow calculators, but I'm a Psych major so....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.