PDA

View Full Version : Migration assistant questions-iMac to iMac

clcnyc
Nov 10, 2005, 08:48 AM
I just bought a spankin brand new iMac G5 20", to replace my iMac G4, and before I hook it up, I want to make sure all my info from my old computer will transfer over safely, especially iTunes accounts, user accts, and Safari and keychain passwords. Does it do all that? Any advise would be appreciated. :confused:

Rewes
Nov 10, 2005, 09:02 AM
Yes it does. Itīs very well done.:D

TexasMac
Nov 10, 2005, 09:44 AM
I just bought a new iMac also. Everything transferred over very well for the most part. For some reason some of my podcasts did not move over. I would suggest keeping the old iMac around for a few days to make sure everything moved over correctly.

superfunkomatic
Nov 10, 2005, 10:07 AM
yes indeed it does. you just need a firewire cable.

clcnyc
Nov 10, 2005, 10:27 AM
So, when I do this tonight, do I turn on the new one first? Won't it ask me for all my info? Or does the migration thing come on first thing? I don't want to create another user for no reason. I'm being a spaz...

Macky-Mac
Nov 10, 2005, 10:45 AM
So, when I do this tonight, do I turn on the new one first? Won't it ask me for all my info? Or does the migration thing come on first thing? I don't want to create another user for no reason. I'm being a spaz...

when you turn on the new one for the first time it should ask you if you want to use the migration assistent thing to transfer info.......so be ready with your old computer and firewire cable.......then it'll guide you through the whole process of hooking up the cable, etc

clcnyc
Nov 10, 2005, 12:10 PM
when you turn on the new one for the first time it should ask you if you want to use the migration assistent thing to transfer info.......so be ready with your old computer and firewire cable.......then it'll guide you through the whole process of hooking up the cable, etc

Wish me luck!

TexasMac
Nov 10, 2005, 12:36 PM
If you want to connect the two computers via firewire later on you can connect the firewire cable and then boot up the old computer while holding town the T key. That will boot it into target disk mode. The old computer will mount on your new one's desktop like an external hard drive.