Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Has anyone actually tried to install OS X on a nonMac? It sounds stupid but I'm curious. If you install Linux first.....................???

mischief

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Apple specs aren't the point.

Thanx for the input but it doesn't answer the question. I was wondering if anyone had tried it, not if Apple officially says it works.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I don't know anyone who has tried...

my thoughts are it would have to tweaked out a lot to work correctly, if at all, on a non-PowerPC....

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
just want to drop in for a second

see, people, this is what happens when you have too many posts

mischief

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
well isn't this cozy.

Wussup Jef!

You work on PC's all day: Give it a shot, eh? I have a little scratching in my brain that it'd work over Linux but I made a promise to myself to only program nonMacs with blunt instruments.:rolleyes: It's entirely too easy to dismiss out of hand as "too complex".

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
hello

with uma (universal motherboard architecture), the mac is now closer to the pc than ever so say the circuitboard engineers who have claimed all along that macs are just pcs anyway on the hardware engineering level

i am not that type of engineer so i couldn't give you the specifics of nands and the color of the stripes and bus specs stuff, etc..

my former teacher at the microsoft school in santa cruz is an electronic engineer with many years of experience and hw told he there is no reason that the two shouldn't somehow be made to be compatible

nt and os x have more in common with each other than dos and os x

actually i am going there today so i can ask him if he is not in a class

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
re: x.1

i don't have x.1 and i gave red hat linux away

...but you are right, i should actually try and put in os x over linux just to see what happens which i am sure will be a negative experience

i believe apple would be smart enough to make os x only install on apple specific hardware since i don't think they want to port os x to a pc yet (perhaps they have no plans to port os x anyway)

i tried to install windows 2000 on a laptop designed for windows 98 and all the drivers were not there and the laptop did not work 100 percent on the laptop

there maybe some issues like that if i try to put x.1 on a linux pc box

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
UK
Has anyone actually tried to install OS X on a nonMac? It sounds stupid but I'm curious. If you install Linux first.....................???

OSX is compiled for PowerPC, I don't know of any other computer that use PowerPC so I would have to say if wouldn't work.

If you had the source code and alot of time you might be able to get it to compile on another architecture...

The only other option is some sort of VM with an emulator but this is getting a bit silly :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.