PDA

View Full Version : Has the cooling been improved on Rev C iMacs?

Gohan
Nov 11, 2005, 10:42 AM
I have just ordered a 20” iMac and was wondering if the new layout has improved HDD & CPU temps?

Also has the fan issue been fixed?

Lastly, are there any pictures that you have come across with the new Rev C striped down?

Cheers, Ryan

spencecb
Nov 11, 2005, 11:33 AM
I believe the fan issue has been fixed shortly after the Rev A models were shipped.

I had the Rev A model, and it had an ongoing issue, so Apple just replaced it with the new Rev C model. It was a sweet deal.

To answer your question, this one does seem to run more quietly. I haven't noticed the fans roar as much as they did on my other iMac.

I have the CPU in constant use, as I run Folding@Home, so it should be working pretty hard, but the fans don't kick up as much.

Hope that helps!

Gohan
Nov 11, 2005, 03:35 PM
Good to know, I'm a bit of a silence freak so I'm glad it's been fixed :)

plinden
Nov 11, 2005, 03:37 PM
I have just ordered a 20 iMac and was wondering if the new layout has improved HDD & CPU temps?

Also has the fan issue been fixed?

Lastly, are there any pictures that you have come across with the new Rev C striped down?

Cheers, Ryan
Yes - http://www.barefeats.com/im21b.html

HARD DRIVE HEAT?
During the running of all our tests, the iMac G5/2.1's hard drive never went over 50 degrees C. That's safely UNDER the factory recommended maximum. Whether it's because of the reshaped back cover or redesigned logic board, the cooling is improved. In fact, during all our testing at the HIGHEST performance setting, the fans never sped up.

zap2
Nov 11, 2005, 03:50 PM
my iMac G5 has not fan problem:p

when i installed something, its said my iMac's fan were about to run on Max. I have never heard my iMac's fan that fast guess im just lucky!

spencecb
Nov 11, 2005, 03:51 PM
I don't want to create the illusion that the iMac is silent, because it is not. You can hear the fans running, but it is faint. One thing about the hard drive though, I have never heard it at all.

Gohan
Nov 11, 2005, 04:12 PM
Does anyone know what HDD's they use off hand?

The Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C or Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 would be nice.

I would have thought the Samsung would have been a good idea as it very cool running, near silent & very fast.

spencecb
Nov 11, 2005, 04:29 PM
Does anyone know what HDD's they use off hand?

The Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C or Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 would be nice.

I would have thought the Samsung would have been a good idea as it very cool running, near silent & very fast.

I just looked up in my system profiler, and for my iMac G5 Rev. C it says the model of the HDD is Maxtor 6L250M0