PDA

View Full Version : A bying Advice...

Soulstorm
Nov 12, 2005, 01:27 AM
My father is considering switching the computer he uses now and purchase a dual core g5 2.0Ghz

He is a musician and he now has a dual 1.42 GHz G4 with lots of ram, and a PCI ATI card that enables him to use 2 screens.

He is thinking of selling this G4 to a friend of his that needs it, and to purchase a dual core G5 2.0 GHz.

My question is. Is this the right time to purchase a dual core IBM? Or should he wait to see if problems will occur with dual cores first? I would like to hear what people's opinions are about his, and I would like to see what other users in Macrumors have dual-core cpu's and are happy with them.

FFTT
Nov 12, 2005, 01:53 AM
As a musician, I think he's going to be delighted with any new dual core PowerMac.

He should also take a look at the new M-Audio
ProjectMix I/O control surface.

I have one on the way and now I'm shopping for
studio reference power amps.

This stuff sure adds up quickly.

risc
Nov 12, 2005, 02:03 AM
You might want to check if he uses any audio hardware, and if he does how will it work in a pci-e based Mac?

FFTT
Nov 12, 2005, 02:23 AM
Most of the audio hardware out there is going to connect via USB, FireWire or Optical to a PowerMac.

The PCI-e graphics buss shouldn't make any difference
unless he is using PCI card inputs.

Soulstorm
Nov 12, 2005, 05:15 AM
You might want to check if he uses any audio hardware, and if he does how will it work in a pci-e based Mac?
He uses a PCI audio card, but that shouldn't be a problem, I know that first hand.

The reasons I am asking this is because I must be sure that there won't be any "infant stages problems" with the new mac. Dual core technology is introduced just now, and it may has problems.