PDA

View Full Version : Basic iMac rev "a" questions

tribe3
Nov 13, 2005, 04:15 PM
Please excuse me for bringing up a subject that must have been beaten to death long time ago but:

My wife has a 17" 1.8Ghz G5 iMac with 64MB VRAM (so I believe it’s a rev “a”), and the fan is always ON.

The computer has less than 1 month left of the original warranty so I want to do something before it expires. I was at an AppleStore last week and they said “bring it in and we’ll fix it”, it takes 4 or 5 days - Sounds good!

Is it as simple as that? Do they change something and it becomes “quiet”? I really hope so!

Please any info will be appreciated.

pknz
Nov 13, 2005, 04:53 PM
I'm not to sure, I stayed away from the Rev A models and waited for the Rev B. But if it really is always on and quite noisy definitly take it in and get it looked at/fixed, before the warranty runs out.

steve_hill4
Nov 13, 2005, 05:27 PM
From what others tend to say, it is as simple as that. What they will do though is down to the store I guess. If it is faulty hardware, they will probably have to replace parts, if it is an incorrect setting, easy to change it I would have thought.

If it is something that can't be corrected cheaply, it can take up to 4-5 days, so that's why they quote it. I would also be cautious and not take the risk that you will get back the machine you took in. You almost certainly will, but before any repairs, however small, I would always back up as much as possible onto CD/DVD. You can never be too cautious over these matters.

tribe3
Nov 13, 2005, 05:57 PM
From what others tend to say, it is as simple as that. What they will do though is down to the store I guess. If it is faulty hardware, they will probably have to replace parts, if it is an incorrect setting, easy to change it I would have thought.

If it is something that can't be corrected cheaply, it can take up to 4-5 days, so that's why they quote it. I would also be cautious and not take the risk that you will get back the machine you took in. You almost certainly will, but before any repairs, however small, I would always back up as much as possible onto CD/DVD. You can never be too cautious over these matters.

Thanks for the info ;)
I'll back up to an external HD, and I'm also thinking of wiping out all the info on "keychain"; bank data and all that stuff :eek:

Santaduck
Nov 13, 2005, 06:29 PM
Also, the fan will be on "higher" for most of the time if your CPU setting is set to "highest" in your System Preferences>Energy Saver CP.