PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else's iMac G5 (iSight) have a noisy cd-rom drive?

milky23
Nov 13, 2005, 06:20 PM
Hey there.

It seems like when ever I do a cold boot and a CD is in my drive, it vibrates and makes a nasty noise until I eject the CD-rom. It's almost as if its not balanced inside and it makes a rather loud racket. The drive itself is noisy anyway, when watching DVDs its always clicking and sputtering and doing all sorts of nonsense. Anyone else?

Danksi
Nov 13, 2005, 06:28 PM
Hey there.

It seems like when ever I do a cold boot and a CD is in my drive, it vibrates and makes a nasty noise until I eject the CD-rom. It's almost as if its not balanced inside and it makes a rather loud racket. The drive itself is noisy anyway, when watching DVDs its always clicking and sputtering and doing all sorts of nonsense. Anyone else?

Mine can be noisy whilst watching a movie.

applecrag
Nov 13, 2005, 07:15 PM
My dual 2 ghz does the exact same thing. Kinda like a grinding sound. Called Apple and they said it's just a faulty drive... everything still works but I'm too lazy to get it fixed right now.

milky23
Nov 13, 2005, 07:56 PM
Do you think Apple would be apt to send me a replacement if the drive is in fact, defective? Do you think they would be agreeable to let me continue to use the computer until I received the replacement? This is my main computer now so it would be extremely inconvenient to lose it for so long. Your thoughts?

Will Cheyney
Nov 14, 2005, 03:33 AM
Yup. They will do that no problem. They'll send a new one out and then contact you again with in 5 days to arrange pick up of the old machine.
I loved having two dual 2.7Ghz G5's in my room... :D

milky23
Nov 14, 2005, 07:23 AM
Wow, that sounds almost too good to be true. :)
Thanks!

derthballs
Nov 14, 2005, 12:09 PM
Mine is very quiet, id say its the quitest dvd writer ive ever owned and ive had a few.

milky23
Nov 19, 2005, 06:51 PM
Argh. I'm on the phone with AppleCare right now and it looks like they won't send me a replacement

I'm going to have to drive a ways to the nearest service provider... urgh.

Noonster22
Nov 19, 2005, 08:21 PM
My drive is rather noisy. I am going to contact Apple care.

How loud is acceptable, and how loud is not? Mine is a quiet roar, while docking, and a chainsaw when loading.