PDA

View Full Version : Quad ships!

Modano
Nov 14, 2005, 09:50 PM
I haven't got the email yet, but I just checked the Apple store site and my Quad shipped today! I know some of you are waiting too, so I thought I'd give you some details, in case you're as impatient as me. :) I ordered a CTO Quad (1GB RAM, 500GB HDD, AirPort Extreme + Bluetooth, 6600) as soon as the store came back up after the announcement. I'm in NYC so it looks like post-announcement Quad orders are shipping to the US now too. It's supposed to arrive at 3pm tomorrow (Tues. 11/14). I'll be glad to run any benchmarks or answer any questions tomorrow night.

MacTruck
Nov 14, 2005, 09:58 PM
All right my man, do the photoshop test thread.

mjstew33
Nov 14, 2005, 10:01 PM
Awesome. Lucky. I'm ordering my 17" 1.9GHz iMac on Wednesday - so I'm sorta lucky, too :p :)

Flying Llama
Nov 14, 2005, 10:06 PM
Watch out, look at how the Dual 2.5GHz PowerMacs Shipping (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=79590&highlight=dual+ships) thread turned out... :p

llama

dmw007
Nov 14, 2005, 10:16 PM
Cool, enjoy your system when it arrives- thats one hunk of Mac computin' muscle!!! :)

theregoesmybus
Nov 14, 2005, 10:44 PM
I also received a shipping notice today and the FedEx tracking says it will be delivered tomorrow morning (to central Oregon). I ordered it right after the announcement event... a build to order quad with 500 gig hard drive, 2 gigs of ram and the Airport/Bluetooth stuff. I don't know how I can think of not going out and getting a new display to go with it, but hopefully a level head with prevail.

Very cool. :)

Xephian
Nov 14, 2005, 10:58 PM
http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/Without_pics.gif

MacTruck
Nov 14, 2005, 11:11 PM

LOL! :D

Flying Llama
Nov 14, 2005, 11:47 PM
Bookmarked! :D

llama

tavarni
Nov 15, 2005, 01:00 AM
just picked mine up...and a 30" display

anyone else get theirs yet?

QCassidy352
Nov 15, 2005, 01:53 AM
just picked mine up...and a 30" display

anyone else get theirs yet?

do you mean they're available in stores now?

tavarni
Nov 15, 2005, 02:04 AM
do you mean they're available in stores now?

I put one on "hold" at an apple store 2 weeks ago...they got 1 (only 1) in, called me and asked if i wanted to pick it up. I had them add 4 Gigs of ram, and a 30" monitor and i was out of there in 30 minutes;).

I was told that I would have to wait for my airport/bluetooth. I guess its a new chip with both on there, and it wont be available for a while. that may be another reason why people who BTO are having to wait so long.

ksz
Nov 15, 2005, 03:10 AM
I put one on "hold" at an apple store 2 weeks ago...they got 1 (only 1) in, called me and asked if i wanted to pick it up. I had them add 4 Gigs of ram, and a 30" monitor and i was out of there in 30 minutes;).

I was told that I would have to wait for my airport/bluetooth. I guess its a new chip with both on there, and it wont be available for a while. that may be another reason why people who BTO are having to wait so long.
Refer to message #7 and comply. :D

tavarni
Nov 15, 2005, 03:28 AM
Refer to message #7 and comply. :D

what do you want to see? (that sounds naughty)

ksz
Nov 15, 2005, 04:41 AM
what do you want to see? (that sounds naughty)
That's a good question. We're just looking for some "representative" pictures of the Quad to live vicariously through you for a short time. Use your discretion.

Modano
Nov 15, 2005, 08:22 AM
I don't know how I can think of not going out and getting a new display to go with it, but hopefully a level head with prevail.
You're certainly not thinking of attaching a *gasp* USED display to this beast?! ;)

Modano
Nov 15, 2005, 08:12 PM
Well I got it hooked up and, during setup, ran migration assisstant and had a problem. It took almost an hour and a half for my 80 gigs of primary hdd stuff but at the end it said "it couldn't copy all my documents. It didn't copy ANY of them! It got the apps, but my user files didn't copy at all. Just ran SWUpdate and checked my old drive and everything looks ok. Off to try again. :(

Modano
Nov 15, 2005, 11:03 PM
In case anyone has the same problem, I tried it again from the desktop with my old computer mounted via FW. This time, it failed again, but at least told me the file it was having trouble with. Sure enough, I can't delete or rename this file. Moving it outside my user directory allowed the Migration Assistant to complete though. It took all night and I have no time to play with my new Quad! :( Maybe tomorrow night. Initial impressions: this thing is fast as can be. :D Doom 3 with the graphics cranked up looks great, even with Migration Assistant chugging along in the background!

Bear
Nov 16, 2005, 06:14 AM
That's a good question. We're just looking for some "representative" pictures of the Quad to live vicariously through you for a short time. Use your discretion.There are plenty of pictures up at Apple.com. When I get mine tomorrow, I'll be too busy setting it up to take pictures.

Modano
Nov 16, 2005, 08:12 AM
Other intial impressions:
Superdrive in this thing is L-O-U-D but the rest of the system is very quiet compared to the Dual GHz Quicksilver it's replacing. The noise from the active hard drive is audible but the fans are very quiet.
It's truly incredible to watch how this thing handles iPhoto. I have several thousand pictures and iPhoto was slow (but quite usuable) on my G4. Using the zoom slider or just scrolling through all the pictures, I'm amazed at how smooth and fast it is.
More tonight!

ksz
Nov 16, 2005, 08:15 AM
There are plenty of pictures up at Apple.com. When I get mine tomorrow, I'll be too busy setting it up to take pictures.
Then don't; that's that. :rolleyes:

It's a sort of tradition here to post pictures of your setup if you're going to brag about your new toy.

Bear
Nov 16, 2005, 08:19 AM
Other intial impressions:
Superdrive in this thing is L-O-U-D but the rest of the system is very quiet compared to the Dual GHz Quicksilver it's replacing. The noise from the active hard drive is audible but the fans are very quiet.
...Is the SuperDrive loud when reading CDs? DVDs? Burning CDs? Burning DVDs? And if burning at what speed?

And if you can hear the disk noise over the fan noise, that says something about how quiet the fans actually are.

Modano
Nov 16, 2005, 08:27 AM
Is the SuperDrive loud when reading CDs? DVDs? Burning CDs? Burning DVDs? And if burning at what speed?

And if you can hear the disk noise over the fan noise, that says something about how quiet the fans actually are.
Reading a data DVD, it was very loud. I guess it's because the drive is so fast, but it sounds like a jet. On the other hand, the fans are very quiet indeed. I thought the same thing you did, about the disk noise trumping the fans.

MacTruck
Nov 16, 2005, 11:22 AM
Whe scrolling down a webpage in safari do the fans rev up? This has been a G5 problem from way back.

Modano
Nov 16, 2005, 12:55 PM
I didn't notice the fans going nuts at all, but I haven't really had enough time to draw firm conclusions. Maybe I'll be able to tell you more tonight.

zugzuglani
Nov 16, 2005, 05:46 PM
Boodigity! Fedex just dropped of the G5 Quad (CTO with 2gb ram, bt/wireless, 500gb hd). I'll be unpacking in a couple hours and post thoughts (yes, I'll do the photoshop test, and maybe I'll even post some pics).

Booyizzle!

nylon
Nov 16, 2005, 06:50 PM
You Quad folks have some serious dosh! Time to start saving.

constant23
Nov 16, 2005, 06:56 PM
so jealous... I ordered mine 5 minutes after the store went back up on the 19th of October, and still mine just says "not yet shipped, estimated ship date Nov 17th". I am hoping for a status change soon.

Bear
Nov 16, 2005, 07:34 PM
so jealous... I ordered mine 5 minutes after the store went back up on the 19th of October, and still mine just says "not yet shipped, estimated ship date Nov 17th". I am hoping for a status change soon.Did you order a CTO unit? And if so, what options?

theregoesmybus
Nov 16, 2005, 09:27 PM
Quad arrived yesterday and like I mentioned earlier, when the time came, I wasn't able to hold out on getting a new 23" display to go with it. Sorry I didn't shoot any pics while unpacking, but perhaps you all would be interested in my new G5 office.

By the way, though I'm not quite "geek" smart enough to run benchmarks, I have experienced some of the louder than expected spin on the Superdrive. It quickly goes away. The machine over all is very quiet, more so than my Dual G4 PM this replaced. Also, there is no problems with Safari scrolling. Everything seems pretty zippy, but admittedly, I haven't done much of anything other than quickly opening a few FCP projects and just general software install and setup. By the way, installations were substatially faster than I'm accustomed to.

theregoesmybus
Nov 16, 2005, 09:32 PM
Oh, and I've seen in other posts people inquiring about memory and hard drive upgrades for the Quad. I ordered the machine with the stock 6600 video card, (1) 500gig hard drive, and 2 gigs of RAM. Today I received my order from macsales.com of another 500 gig hard drive (Hitachi HDS725050KLA360) to match the one Apple shipped with it (total now equals 1 terabyte). As well as 4 additional gigs of Samsung non-ECC RAM (total now is 6 gigs). Everything installed quite easily in about 15 minutes and machine is running great!

BJNY
Nov 17, 2005, 06:51 AM
So the 500GB that came with your Quad was a Hitachi also?
Someone else reported their 250GB that came with their Quad was a Western Digital.

Platform
Nov 17, 2005, 08:39 AM
So the 500GB that came with your Quad was a Hitachi also?
Someone else reported their 250GB that came with their Quad was a Western Digital.

They just use the best option at the time. Macs come with many differnet HDDs;)

Bear
Nov 17, 2005, 10:34 AM
They just use the best option at the time. Macs come with many differnet HDDs;)
However, currently only Seagate and Hitachi have 500GB disks. Which is a good thing.

MacTruck
Nov 17, 2005, 11:37 AM
Quad shipping is now 7-10 days. The longer I wait the shorter the ship time. YEAH!

theregoesmybus
Nov 17, 2005, 01:36 PM
Yes, the BTO hard drive that Apple shipped with my Quad is a Hitachi 500 gig (HDS725050KLA360). Additionally, the (2) one gig memory chips that came with the computer were from a company with a logo resembling an "M" with a looping circle around it. However, I ordered (4) one gig chips made by Samsung, thinking that they would match what Apple used (but I was wrong).

BJNY
Nov 17, 2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the details thergoesmybus!

constant23
Nov 18, 2005, 08:58 AM
The only specs I changed were adding an extra 512MB of RAM, Wireless Keyboard, and Airport Card. No video card changes or anything like that. I called yesterday and he insisted that the computer was on schedule to ship within 12-24 hours. I wake up this morning and have gotten an e-mail from Apple saying the new expected ship date is estmated to be December 5th. I ordered the beast IMMEDIATELY after the store came back up October 19th and my computer isn't shipping until NEXT month? This is unacceptable. I called and complained and asked why is it that the Quads now say "Ships within 7-10 business days" and that if I ordered one TODAY, it would arrive on or the day BEFORE my other order from a month ago. They transferred me 3 times, I was hung up on 4 times... man, this stinks. Any suggestions?

MacTruck
Nov 18, 2005, 09:08 AM
The only specs I changed were adding an extra 512MB of RAM, Wireless Keyboard, and Airport Card. No video card changes or anything like that. I called yesterday and he insisted that the computer was on schedule to ship within 12-24 hours. I wake up this morning and have gotten an e-mail from Apple saying the new expected ship date is estmated to be December 5th. I ordered the beast IMMEDIATELY after the store came back up October 19th and my computer isn't shipping until NEXT month? This is unacceptable. I called and complained and asked why is it that the Quads now say "Ships within 7-10 business days" and that if I ordered one TODAY, it would arrive on or the day BEFORE my other order from a month ago. They transferred me 3 times, I was hung up on 4 times... man, this stinks. Any suggestions?

Order another one and as soon as one shows shipped cancel the other one. Oh and order it STOCK. Get the stuff you need from PCConection or OWC.