Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mmcdougal1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
I ordered the 13" 256ssd 8ram was persuaded toward this over the retina pro by the apple employees. It's cheaper fast ect. I'm using it for doing some music producing like logic or pro tools whatever I choose to get, also web browsing and what not. Would this be the better choice and will this last me as long as I hope(5-6years)

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
I ordered the 13" 256ssd 8ram was persuaded toward this over the retina pro by the apple employees. It's cheaper fast ect. I'm using it for doing some music producing like logic or pro tools whatever I choose to get, also web browsing and what not. Would this be the better choice and will this last me as long as I hope(5-6years)

Yes, definitely. I love it, I used mine for light audio work and it was light years faster than my capable 2008 C2D iMac, it'll be perfect for your needs. Connect to external monitor and you're set.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

whenever i have a choice between two things, all things being equal (or close enough to it) i always go with the cheaper option. you have 14 days to play with it to see if it's worth it to you...

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
If you don't mind or notice the difference between the retina and MBA display and the slight decrease in performance of the low voltage processor then the answer is yes.

You are getting a lighter computer with much better battery life.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think pound for pound, the MBA is better then the MBP, though the retina screen is certainly the wild card in this. I think the smaller design, and all day battery are the killer features of the MBA and make it a great buy

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012

This is not a complicated decision and why people belabor it to the point of asking strangers on the Internet for their opinions is befuddling.

Why do people buy a laptop versus a desktop? Simple, portability.

Once someone has decided to buy a laptop, all the other requirements are different for everyone.

• Weight
  • Battery life
  • Screen size
  • Processing power
  • Budget
  • Storage Space
  • New versus Used

Each person has to rank what's important to them. Others cannot do this for you.

1. Your requirements and priorities are unique. No one else on the Internet has the same ones, with the same priorities.
  2. There is no perfect laptop.
  3. Many requirements result in compromising other requirements.
  4. Want a bigger screen? Weight goes up, battery life goes down.
  5. Want longer battery life? Weight goes up or screen size goes down.

Last edited:

Mmcdougal1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
Will it last as long as I hope though? $1600 for something would stand the time frame 5-6 years would be amazing. That's one thing I'm worried about is getting it then over a year or two it craps out or something

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Will it last as long as I hope though? $1600 for something would stand the time frame 5-6 years would be amazing. That's one thing I'm worried about is getting it then over a year or two it craps out or something

and worrying helps how?

xnview

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013

I'm not sure that laptops are used the same way in 6 years from now. I would rather think of the next 3 years and think of any extra time is a great bonus for a laptop, but that's just me:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.