Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bear

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
This Quad G5 should never have left the factory....

BadQuad.jpg

Notice that the bottom drive is up above where it should be with the plastic guides pushed out. Also the drive retaining lever on the lower drive is broken off (as shown on the right side of the picture). The bottom drive also came disconnected and of course is dead as well.

Machine is going back as a DOA.:mad:

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
As of this year, I think the term 'good build quality' will never be associated with Apple again...

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Looks like someone was in a hurry for their smoke break.:rolleyes:

I hope they fix you up quickly, Bear. When you lay out that much cash for something, you sure as heck expect perfection.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
ouch, that's not good. if it wasn't behind a thick metal case I'd blame the shipper, but that's probably not the case. I'd be very upset too if my new Quad wasn't perfect out of the box, so make sure you get this sorted out.

personally I feel divided about the apple quality issues. on one hand I think apple sucks for making these problems a reality, but on the other hand, everything I have bought from them over the years (including 2 computers the last 2 years) have been flawless and leave me amazed at the quality, so I don't know what to think

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Man that sucks bear, i bet you are pissed. I would give apple some serious feedback. Apples quality control aint close to what it use to be. iMacs,Mightymouse......................you just dont expect this kind of crap from the cadillac of computing. They should have on record who the clown was that built that thing.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
damn, that's not right.

Any chance that the thing got banged around in shipping and the 'B' bracket broke?

D

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Your not the only one pissed off at Apple right now :mad:.
Damn order won't go through. Those Apple reps don't know there ass from a hole in the ground. :rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

Bear

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Mr. Anderson said:
damn, that's not right.

Any chance that the thing got banged around in shipping and the 'B' bracket broke?

D
Nope. Box is in good shape. And the B bracket isn't inside the G5. Also, it would've taken a hell of a shock to jam the B drive up like that.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
iGary said:
Hope a quicky is on the way.

Sh*t, for the money a Quad costs I'd demand a LOT more than a quickie!
:rolleyes:

To the OP: Man I would be P*SSED - but at least its something obvious rather than something that will pop up down the road. Hopefully when the replacement comes all will be well.

Tell them you want a free upgrade to the nVidia Quadro as compensation!

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Lord Blackadder said:
Tell them you want a free upgrade to the nVidia Quadro as compensation!
With Apple's reps being as it is, they probably don't even know what that is :rolleyes:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
man!! apple's quality control has gone way downhill lately. This is really becoming a disturbing trend. :-/ Sorry to hear that, Bear. I hope they do right by you, and soon.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Man that is pretty sickening, especially when you spend upwards of $3,000. I really hope this is an isolated problem and not a more common thing we will see with Apple's quality control. :mad: :( :rolleyes:

Really hope it all works out for you! :)

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
We're doing a lot at work on corporates, their factories in China and the generally sh***y ways these companies carry out there social (working methods, conditions etc) audits. My guess is, Apple goes in there with a big stick saying you gotta get this right, that right... The factory managers do their best to shove the bad stuff under the carpet and "pass the test" but quality and conditions never actually improve overall.

I'd also bet that the percentage drop in quality is a lot higher than the percentage of increased sales Apple is currently seeing.

Saying that -I'd also bet their returns on computers are probably (percentage wise again) the same as other manufacturers. This shouldn't be the case though, given the price premium.

iPods are another matter altogether...

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
AlBDamned said:
This shouldn't be the case though, given the price premium.
Configure a similar spec'ed PC and you'll find the G5s are cheaper. There is no price premium on Power Macs.

Bear

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
AlBDamned said:
We're doing a lot at work on corporates, their factories in China and the generally sh***y ways these companies carry out there social (working methods, conditions etc) audits. My guess is, Apple goes in there with a big stick saying you gotta get this right, that right... The factory managers do their best to shove the bad stuff under the carpet and "pass the test" but quality and conditions never actually improve overall.
CTO Quads for US delivery are assembled in California. I bet one from Asia would've been in perfect shape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.