PDA

View Full Version : This Quad G5 should never have left the factory....

Bear
Nov 17, 2005, 02:57 PM
This Quad G5 should never have left the factory....

http://homepage.mac.com/pb4ugo/.Pictures/MacRumors.com/BadQuad.jpg

Notice that the bottom drive is up above where it should be with the plastic guides pushed out. Also the drive retaining lever on the lower drive is broken off (as shown on the right side of the picture). The bottom drive also came disconnected and of course is dead as well.

Machine is going back as a DOA.:mad:

RHMMMM
Nov 17, 2005, 03:05 PM
What a shame!

barneygumble
Nov 17, 2005, 03:06 PM
must have been a monday morning job, tough luck and i hope they get a new one out asap

PCMacUser
Nov 17, 2005, 03:08 PM
As of this year, I think the term 'good build quality' will never be associated with Apple again...

iGary
Nov 17, 2005, 03:12 PM
Sorry about that, Bear.

Hope a quicky is on the way.

skunk
Nov 17, 2005, 03:14 PM
Hope a quicky is on the way.Would you consider re-phrasing that?

zelmo
Nov 17, 2005, 03:16 PM
Looks like someone was in a hurry for their smoke break.:rolleyes:

I hope they fix you up quickly, Bear. When you lay out that much cash for something, you sure as heck expect perfection.

kwajo.com
Nov 17, 2005, 03:17 PM
ouch, that's not good. if it wasn't behind a thick metal case I'd blame the shipper, but that's probably not the case. I'd be very upset too if my new Quad wasn't perfect out of the box, so make sure you get this sorted out.

personally I feel divided about the apple quality issues. on one hand I think apple sucks for making these problems a reality, but on the other hand, everything I have bought from them over the years (including 2 computers the last 2 years) have been flawless and leave me amazed at the quality, so I don't know what to think

generik
Nov 17, 2005, 03:20 PM
Hey.. for all you know the same factory manufacture dells too!

Applespider
Nov 17, 2005, 03:24 PM
Machine is going back as a DOA.:mad:

Sorry to hear that. I'm not surprised that you're mad; I hope they can get another one out to you quickly... and it works!

Eevee
Nov 17, 2005, 03:52 PM
Sorry about that, Bear.

huh?

Dont Hurt Me
Nov 17, 2005, 04:13 PM
Man that sucks bear, i bet you are pissed. I would give apple some serious feedback. Apples quality control aint close to what it use to be. iMacs,Mightymouse......................you just dont expect this kind of crap from the cadillac of computing. They should have on record who the clown was that built that thing.

iGary
Nov 17, 2005, 04:27 PM
Would you consider re-phrasing that?

Hell no. :D

xli_ne
Nov 17, 2005, 04:35 PM
Would you consider re-phrasing that?

hahaha

Mr. Anderson
Nov 17, 2005, 04:41 PM
damn, that's not right.

Any chance that the thing got banged around in shipping and the 'B' bracket broke?

D

mjstew33
Nov 17, 2005, 04:43 PM
Your not the only one pissed off at Apple right now :mad:.
Damn order won't go through. Those Apple reps don't know there ass from a hole in the ground. :rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

Bear
Nov 17, 2005, 04:46 PM
damn, that's not right.

Any chance that the thing got banged around in shipping and the 'B' bracket broke?

DNope. Box is in good shape. And the B bracket isn't inside the G5. Also, it would've taken a hell of a shock to jam the B drive up like that.

Lord Blackadder
Nov 17, 2005, 05:07 PM

*****, for the money a Quad costs I'd demand a LOT more than a quickie!
:rolleyes:

To the OP: Man I would be P*SSED - but at least its something obvious rather than something that will pop up down the road. Hopefully when the replacement comes all will be well.

Tell them you want a free upgrade to the nVidia Quadro as compensation!

AlBDamned
Nov 17, 2005, 05:09 PM
It's amazing what $3,000 buys you these days...:rolleyes:

mjstew33
Nov 17, 2005, 05:09 PM
Tell them you want a free upgrade to the nVidia Quadro as compensation!
With Apple's reps being as it is, they probably don't even know what that is :rolleyes:

QCassidy352
Nov 17, 2005, 05:14 PM
man!! apple's quality control has gone way downhill lately. This is really becoming a disturbing trend. :-/ Sorry to hear that, Bear. I hope they do right by you, and soon.

tech4all
Nov 17, 2005, 05:14 PM
Man that is pretty sickening, especially when you spend upwards of $3,000. I really hope this is an isolated problem and not a more common thing we will see with Apple's quality control. :mad: :( :rolleyes:

Really hope it all works out for you! :)

AlBDamned
Nov 17, 2005, 05:20 PM
We're doing a lot at work on corporates, their factories in China and the generally sh***y ways these companies carry out there social (working methods, conditions etc) audits. My guess is, Apple goes in there with a big stick saying you gotta get this right, that right... The factory managers do their best to shove the bad stuff under the carpet and "pass the test" but quality and conditions never actually improve overall.

I'd also bet that the percentage drop in quality is a lot higher than the percentage of increased sales Apple is currently seeing.

Saying that -I'd also bet their returns on computers are probably (percentage wise again) the same as other manufacturers. This shouldn't be the case though, given the price premium.

iPods are another matter altogether...

Lacero
Nov 17, 2005, 05:24 PM
This shouldn't be the case though, given the price premium.
Configure a similar spec'ed PC and you'll find the G5s are cheaper. There is no price premium on Power Macs.

Bear
Nov 17, 2005, 05:25 PM
We're doing a lot at work on corporates, their factories in China and the generally sh***y ways these companies carry out there social (working methods, conditions etc) audits. My guess is, Apple goes in there with a big stick saying you gotta get this right, that right... The factory managers do their best to shove the bad stuff under the carpet and "pass the test" but quality and conditions never actually improve overall.
...CTO Quads for US delivery are assembled in California. I bet one from Asia would've been in perfect shape.

Riot_Mac
Nov 17, 2005, 05:38 PM
As of this year, I think the term 'good build quality' will never be associated with Apple again...

i agree. i got 11 20in iMacs and 4 of them had problems. One had bad ram, another had a power supply go bad, another had the graphics card go bad, and the last one had kernal panics on start up. wtf apple?

AlBDamned
Nov 17, 2005, 05:38 PM
Configure a similar spec'ed PC and you'll find the G5s are cheaper. There is no price premium on Power Macs.

I guess I'm talking about Apple stuff overall. Quality is diving. In my house, we've had 1 scratched nano. 1 bust 3G ipod after 18 months. One screwed PB logic board, and one smashed up G5 DP (though that was the carrier's fault). Still a bad amount of stuff to go wrong.

CTO Quads for US delivery are assembled in California. I bet one from Asia would've been in perfect shape.

CTO are built in Cali? That's doubly poor that it's turned out like that. it didn't even have as long to get bashed about.

kwajo.com
Nov 17, 2005, 05:44 PM
CTO are built in Cali? That's doubly poor that it's turned out like that. it didn't even have as long to get bashed about.

yeah they are, that's what mine says at least. they're the only macs assembled outside of asia

Bear
Nov 17, 2005, 06:22 PM
yeah they are, that's what mine says at least. they're the only macs assembled outside of asiaActually, it seems some of the Mac mini's are also done CTO in California.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 17, 2005, 06:25 PM
So what drives did you get on that thing? Dual 500 Gig? I'm not sure if I'm going to do that with mine - I might just add another one later.

D

Bear
Nov 17, 2005, 06:43 PM
So what drives did you get on that thing? Dual 500 Gig? I'm not sure if I'm going to do that with mine - I might just add another one later.

DYup. Dual 500s. Photography sucks up disk space.

Lacero
Nov 17, 2005, 06:45 PM
You should try editing videos. :D

//where's that 2TB drive I ordered?

MacTruck
Nov 17, 2005, 08:12 PM
I would demand another Quad at a discount for that crap.

- SLAPS the person who assembled it... with a BRICK -

Bibulous
Nov 17, 2005, 08:25 PM
e!

Lord Blackadder
Nov 17, 2005, 08:26 PM
I guess I'm talking about Apple stuff overall. Quality is diving. In my house, we've had 1 scratched nano. 1 bust 3G ipod after 18 months. One screwed PB logic board, and one smashed up G5 DP (though that was the carrier's fault). Still a bad amount of stuff to go wrong.

it will only get worse if demand for Apple hardware continues to rise rapidly. There's a reason much the Dell hardware is nothing to write home about - though I don't think Apple will sink that low.

MacTruck
Nov 17, 2005, 08:30 PM
it will only get worse if demand for Apple hardware continues to rise rapidly. There's a reason much the Dell hardware is nothing to write home about - though I don't think Apple will sink that low.

They are sinking that low, along with every other computer manufacturer. Moving production to china and moving tech support to india is now a computer corporation business model that everyone is following.

It all started out with Wal-mart and children in sweatshops.

Platform
Nov 17, 2005, 10:05 PM

The worst thing is that you don't even get that for 3000 bucks...you have to pay more..:eek: :mad:

Hope you get a brand new once with apologies :cool:

Hyernel
Nov 17, 2005, 10:30 PM
I know for a fact that the Taiwanese factory that assembled your QuadMac uses the new "Bender" model robot.

To say these new robots are squirrelly only scratches the surface. Hopefully future Bender models will improve, and drink less beer.

Hyernel

Kiss my shiny metal G5!!!

Bear
Nov 17, 2005, 10:37 PM
I know for a fact that the Taiwanese factory that assembled your QuadMac uses the new "Bender" model robot.

...Wasn't assembled in Taiwan.. it was assembled in California.

Chrispy
Nov 17, 2005, 10:41 PM

No kidding :eek:

FFTT
Nov 17, 2005, 11:19 PM
I swear that looks like deliberate sabotage.

Very sorry to see something like this coming from Apple.

MacTruck
Nov 17, 2005, 11:56 PM
Well, 12 yr old kids on the assembly line in china don't know jack about this stuff. Give them a break.... right across the face. :eek:

generik
Nov 18, 2005, 12:45 AM
What a bloody rip off..

A show of hands, who will use pirated MacOS in the future?

QCassidy352
Nov 18, 2005, 01:26 AM
I feel for ya. My 15" PB that arrived today was DOA, wouldn't boot, not even from the DVD. Apple, wtf is going on? :mad:

FFTT
Nov 18, 2005, 02:14 AM
QCassidy352,

That's awful!

At least you can drive to one of the area AppleStores and take care of it, but DAYAM!

I posted a complaint about recent Apple quality control issues on the Apple
Support Discussion board.

Who ever is in charge of Apple Quality Control should be terminated!

I know it's probably just sloppy workmanship, but then again with all the
recent issues over the past few years, I'm starting to wonder if some competitor has deliberately placed a gremlin mole in the factories.

I don't think it's too far fetched to suspect deliberate industrial espionage.

O.K. maybe I've taken too many muscle relaxers this evening, but
the competition for those IT dollars is fierce.

QCassidy352
Nov 18, 2005, 02:22 AM
QCassidy352,

That's awful!

At least you can drive to one of the area AppleStores and take care of it, but DAYAM!

unfortunately, I cannot. I got it from amazon, so back it goes, all boxed up again. Sigh...

chucknorris
Nov 18, 2005, 02:23 AM
I feel for ya. My 15" PB that arrived today was DOA, wouldn't boot, not even from the DVD. Apple, wtf is going on? :mad:

Obviously (as I've gleaned from reading all the posts on this thread), Apple computers are now manufactured by intoxicated orangutans. ;)

Seriously though, what the hell does everybody expect?

$3000 is a lot to you, but nothing to Apple. This is the business model of the present time and of the foreseeable future.

We all live in a brutally capitalistic world. Even in view of all this, odds still favor getting a computer with no defects.

Of course Apple's quality control has gone down. Why shouldn't it have?

To give a clue as to the current state of electronics manufacture, I just read an article saying that the quality control on processors for devices like cell phones is so bad that 100% are expected to fail within 3 or 4 years.

840quadra
Nov 18, 2005, 02:39 AM
Actually, it seems some of the Mac mini's are also done CTO in California.

Is this also were they refurbish systems?

Just curious, as I bought 2 systems this year from their refurbished site. both were shipped from California, but I know that doesn't mean that they were serviced there.

FFTT
Nov 18, 2005, 02:42 AM
At least when you buy a late model refurb, someone might have actually
taken a look to see if it's working properly before it ships.

Morn
Nov 18, 2005, 07:06 AM
Well it's made in china :P
But this is not only annoying for us but bad business. Think of the cost to apple of having to pay techicians for time and pay for parts in fixing these problems. Warranties :P

Bear
Nov 18, 2005, 07:37 AM
Well it's made in china :P
But this is not only annoying for us but bad business. Think of the cost to apple of having to pay techicians for time and pay for parts in fixing these problems. Warranties :PIf you had read the thread, you would've seen that the Quad in question was put together in California.

As I said earlier, there is no way this unit should've been shipped at all.

ipacmm
Nov 18, 2005, 08:11 AM
I just finished reading this thread, and now I will have to check my quad when it comes in today to make sure it is working condition. Sorry to hear your power mac. I agree with everyone about Apple's quality of reps and build quality, over the years they have been good until this year and this order.

Bear
Nov 22, 2005, 11:34 AM
The current estimated ship by date is December 6th for the replacement Quad. That sucks as it's an additional 2 and a half weeks from when I got the system that should never have left the factory.

ipacmm
Nov 22, 2005, 11:37 AM
The current estimated ship by date is December 6th for the replacement Quad. That sucks as it's an additional 2 and a half weeks from when I got the system that should never have left the factory.

Did you get any free upgrades or anything for the issues that you had?

Bear
Nov 22, 2005, 11:40 AM
Did you get any free upgrades or anything for the issues that you had?Are you kidding?

Although, I'm writing up my experience and will probably be sending a letter (with the photo showing the damage) to 1 Infinite Loop, attention to Steve Jobs. (Yes I know he won't likely read it, but it'll maybe get to someone who can do some good.) I'll be outlining the original issue, the problems I had with the replacement process. Along with anything else pertinent I can think of.

Maybe the letter will get me something free.

ipacmm
Nov 22, 2005, 11:44 AM
Are you kidding?

Although, I'm writing up my experience and will probably be sending a letter (with the photo showing the damage) to 1 Infinite Loop, attention to Steve Jobs. (Yes I know he won't likely read it, but it'll maybe get to someone who can do some good.) I'll be outlining the original issue, the problems I had with the replacement process. Along with anything else pertinent I can think of.

Maybe the letter will get me something free.

I would also talk to the retentions department, Apple gave me a set of FX6021's when it took them a month and a half to fix my powerbook...

Bear
Nov 26, 2005, 07:46 PM
Just got the shipping notification. The tracking information on FedEx's website says I'll have the machine Monday.

brianwhi76
Nov 26, 2005, 08:51 PM
It's nice to hear that this matter was attended to in a timely manner.

What people have to understand about quality control, is not every piece of equipement is inspected. It's a nightmare to even suggest this.

Systems are built on assembly lines, and one person installs drives, and another installs a power supply. It is entirely possible that the system was damamged 4 people down the line.

Now, think about the reprocussions of going to your supervisor, or lead person, and explaining to them that you just broke a computer, and it has to be sent back to a different station to be repaired.

So, you take your chances and hope QC doesn't inspect this particular computer.

No thought is given to the end result, because said person has manufacturing quotas to keep, and money to make. Said person probably doesn't even know what the finished product is supposed to look like. And, I'll garentee they don't care.

Now, why are manufacturing jobs going elseware???

generik
Nov 26, 2005, 10:43 PM
What people have to understand about quality control, is not every piece of equipement is inspected. It's a nightmare to even suggest this.

yes, but the trouble is that the Quad in question could not possibly have booted OSX to start with. If you are paying 3 grand for a computer and they can't even be bothered to do just that, it really speaks load about their QC doesn't it?

mjstew33
Nov 26, 2005, 11:11 PM
Awesome, Bear! A heck of a lot better than December 6th. Hope this one is just a little bit better :rolleyes: :p

stevep
Nov 27, 2005, 08:59 AM

Systems are built on assembly lines, and one person installs drives, and another installs a power supply. It is entirely possible that the system was damamged 4 people down the line.
I'm afraid you've contradicted yourself here - from what you've written at least 4 people have inspected it (assuming they work with their eyes open that is).
The whole point about QC in industry is that it's there to prevent faulty goods getting to the public. This would have been much cheaper for Apple to fix had it been caught on the line instead of in the end-users home.

bartelby
Nov 27, 2005, 09:37 AM

I used to work in an electronics factory that produced CRT monitors, they had the contract for 15" tubes for the Fruity iMacs. (I saw those iMacs about 2 months before they were announced.)
I can tell you that every single CRT got checked at every stage of production (I was in charge of the process that put the graphite matrix on the inside of the front panel of the CRT) and every iMac off the fabrication line got QC'd.

The whole point about QC in industry is that it's there to prevent faulty goods getting to the public. This would have been much cheaper for Apple to fix had it been caught on the line instead of in the end-users home.

The cost of reprocessing a defect tube at my process was about 60p if the defect was detected at the last QC point it would cost about £45.

brianwhi76
Nov 27, 2005, 05:23 PM
I'm afraid you've contradicted yourself here - from what you've written at least 4 people have inspected it (assuming they work with their eyes open that is).

That's exactly my point. No one cares anymore. I've seen it first hand.

I used to make paper for a profession. Let me tell you I can't count how many times my fellow co-workers said "can't see it from my house".
Guess what, the mill was closed down shortly after Jan 2002.
These types of attitudes are what is killing the American manufacturing sector.

It is hard to do your job correctly. Many places are about quotas, and quality slips through the cracks. Gotta get these out today....Gotta get these out today.

Apple has not tharnished their image, nor are they going to suffer because of the recent "climb" in errors. We are just hearing about problems more because of the ease of which it is communicated now.

I'll bet, their replacement targets are the same as it was several years ago.

olnikkormat
Nov 28, 2005, 12:06 PM
Hey y'all

Sorry to cross post from another threadm but after posting I noticed the last post was well over a month ago... Anyway,

Does anyone know if it would work to use two video cards in the quad instead of buying that insanely priced quadra 4400 card? I run dual 30's on my 2.7's and I set them to mirror each other. I don't know if that makes a difference. I am more of a user than a tech guy. Any help would be totally appreciated.
Thanks!
d

Arcus
Nov 28, 2005, 12:18 PM

Nighmare? I work in manufacturing. EVERY DAM THING I BUILD gets final tested. EVERY LAST UNIT. Thousands a week. Nothing would leave my line like that

Again, final test the dam thing, at the very least boot it. Wer arent talking minis heres. I get better QC from a used car dealer if I buy a car that costs less than a dam quad. No excuse

Now, think about the reprocussions of going to your supervisor, or lead person, and explaining to them that you just broke a computer, and it has to be sent back to a different station to be repaired.

Bad supervisor! I encourage my employees to bring me problems and also present solutions. I reward them for thier honestey and NEVER EVER punish them for simple mistakes. I applaude thier honesty and make sure they understand that this happens and its OK. Costs my company far less money to handle these things this way. I get employees that understand its ok to make a mistake sometimes. We are all human. I treat them as such

No thought is given to the end result, because said person has manufacturing quotas to keep, and money to make. Said person probably doesn't even know what the finished product is supposed to look like. And, I'll garentee they don't care.

Company and supervisors fault

I dont have an answer to this. Sorry.

kwajo.com
Nov 28, 2005, 12:52 PM
Hey y'all

Sorry to cross post from another threadm but after posting I noticed the last post was well over a month ago... Anyway,

Does anyone know if it would work to use two video cards in the quad instead of buying that insanely priced quadra 4400 card? I run dual 30's on my 2.7's and I set them to mirror each other. I don't know if that makes a difference. I am more of a user than a tech guy. Any help would be totally appreciated.
Thanks!
d

i know this doesn't help, but i'm curious why do you mirror the 30" display?

MacRumorUser
Nov 28, 2005, 12:57 PM
yeah they are, that's what mine says at least. they're the only macs assembled outside of asia

What about the G5's assembled in Cork, Ireland

olnikkormat
Nov 28, 2005, 01:57 PM
I do a lot of photo work and it's great when I can see and the client can see what we're shooting at the same time. Also, 30's look pretty bling on set. ;)

bcwilson
Nov 28, 2005, 03:10 PM

...or lack thereof. :D

mikeyredk
Nov 28, 2005, 03:23 PM

So, you take your chances and hope QC doesn't inspect this particular computer.

This is why american manufactures are lagging in quality behind japanese and european manufactures. A system of Lean Six Sigma encourages and demands faults be made aware instantly, when they are found a team is released to the problem site and it is defused quickly. What if this wasn't the only computer? What if there was a miscalibration(sp) in the mechanical screwdriver?

lawgraphix
Jan 25, 2006, 11:12 AM
Just for the record, I too received one of these Quads. They just jammed my the drive into the drive slot. It bent the drive secure tabs and rails. I was quite disappointed. I will email you pictures at requests. I do respect Apple still. If anyone knows where I can report this let me know, I was really hoping to let Apple know that their QC is not that great and some compensation would be nice. I didn't pay $4000+ for imperfection. I got the system late December 2005.

Specs: QUAD G5, 1GB RAM, 500 GB HD, 7800 GT videocard, Bluetooth + Wireless.

Arcus
Jan 25, 2006, 11:38 AM
I do a lot of photo work and it's great when I can see and the client can see what we're shooting at the same time. Also, 30's look pretty bling on set. ;)

Can we get out of the ghetto?