PDA

View Full Version : Daystar Announces 1.92 gHz PowerBook G4 Upgrade?

fklehman
Nov 18, 2005, 06:31 PM
Daystar is now advertising a future 1.92 gHz G4 upgrade for the Aluminum PowerBook G4 (http://daystar-tech.com/Daystar_Technology_Company/Daystar_Macintosh_News/Macintosh_Press_Releases/2005_Mac_CPU_Press/051118-PBook_Alum_Dev.html). Could just be vaporware at this point, and no word on whether it is a 7447A or a 7448, but I suppose it's worth mentioning. Not sure I feel like voiding my Applecare just yet, but at any rate here is the full text:

Early PowerBook G4 Aluminums Now Running at 1.92 GHz...
Daystar announces last stages of development for the XLR8
1.92 GHz upgrade for the 15" PowerBook G4 FW800 systems!

Atlanta, Georgia, November 18, 2005: Daystar Technology, an Apple Authorized Reseller and Mac Performance Integrator, announced today, that it is completing development of the first XLR8 PowerBook G4 (Aluminum) CPU Upgrade. The PowerBook G4 upgrade dubbed, "XLR8 MAChSpeed PowerBook G4" is scheduled to ship next month.

No Compromise, Raw Speed.
Like the XLR8 MAChSpeed G4 Pismo, Lombard, Titainum and iMac Flat Panel CPU upgrades, the PowerBook G4 upgrade will be a full system upgrade, requiring the user to send their PowerBook to Daystar for installation. Daystar uses the latest model CPUs in order to provide perfect quality and long-term reliability.

Pricing and final specifications are expected to be announced closer to the actual product release date. Additional features include:

* xBench 1.2 Scores jump from high 20's to nearly 50, well surpassing the fastest PowerBook G4 to date.
* Factory installation via Apple Certified Technicians.
* Effortless shipping with Daystar's custom boxes and prepaid FedEx shipping options.
* Compatible with Classic and Mac OS 10.3.5 - 10.4.3.
* Includes XLR8 MAChSpeed Control for exclusive G4 performance / compatibility.
* All upgrades warranted at speeds sold, with Daystar's exclusive 90/720 warranty program.

"It is incredible to see the earliest PowerBook G4s, jump to lightening fast response on Tiger - faster than Apple's newest introductions", said Gary Dailey, president of Daystar. "It even runs cooler than the original 1.25 GHz CPUs."

About Daystar and XLR8 Brand Products
Daystar Technology is simply a Macintosh Performance Shop. The company specializes in developing custom peformance solutions, and integrating leading XLR8 brand technologies for consumers, enterprise and creative professionals. Daystar operates as an Apple Authorized Reseller and Service center, and maintains a staff of Apple Certified Technicians. Daystar is also the designer and manufacturer of XLR8 brand products. With its history as the creator of the original Mac upgrade, the company continues to deliver the best of the best for the Apple based computing platform.

Daystar currently distributes/resells Apple, XLR8, Giga Designs, My InternetPC and a variety of leading brand products via its store front and web store at http://Daystar-Store.com. Daystar offers a wide array of Apple performance products. It also sells and services Apple products via its store-front in Buford, Georgia.

Additional information on Daystar Technology and XLR8 can be found via the Daystar website at: http://Daystar-Tech.com/about/ and http://Daystar-Tech.com/news/

bousozoku
Nov 18, 2005, 06:53 PM
They seem to be pushing whatever processor, most likely a 7447A, for all its worth. If it's cooler than the 1.25 GHz processor under normal circumstances, I'd be pleased, depending on price, of course. They're probably months away from having a deliverable solution but it should be interesting package, especially if they're replacing the system controller with something more aggressive.

fklehman
Nov 18, 2005, 11:11 PM
They seem to be pushing whatever processor, most likely a 7447A, for all its worth. If it's cooler than the 1.25 GHz processor under normal circumstances, I'd be pleased, depending on price, of course. They're probably months away from having a deliverable solution but it should be interesting package, especially if they're replacing the system controller with something more aggressive.

A 7448 would be even better since it draws less power and of course has the 1MB cache to the 7447's 512k. Of course, Apple was unable to get it into the latest PB revision b/c of various stability issues. Kind of makes you wonder how Daystar would succeed where Apple failed, and makes a 7447A seem more likely. On the other hand, Apple had pretty much no PPC engineering team left on the PBs at that point to tackle any problems, so maybe Daystar actually COULD succeed where Apple failed and get a 7448 in there (it would be hard to do worse than Apple has done with the PBs). And as the proud owner of a G4/550 Daystar upgrade for my Pismo, which seems to be the most highly rated of the 5 or so Pismo upgrades that were available at one time or another, I know that they do good work.

I'll be interested to see what Daystar brings to market, although, as I said, I won't be to eager to void my Applecare on the brand new 15" PB that is currently winging its way to me. And by the time its Applecare runs out, I will doubtless be eying Rev. C Intel 'Books and an upgrade won't make any economic sense. I've also heard that the new PBs run alot cooler, so less heat wouldn't be a big selling point either. But if you had one of the original 1.25 gHz aluminum PBs, the upgrade might make an awesome stopgap while you wait for Rev. A or B Intel 'Books.

Incidentally, how would a new system controller contribute to less heat? I don't know quite enough about computer stuff to get that one.

Edit: If the processor is indeed at 1.92 gHz and they are pushing a processor for all its worth, that would seem to point to the 7447A as well; doesn't the 7448 scale higher? Or is the 7448 scaling in a similar range, just with better performance at the same clock speed?

MacTruck
Nov 18, 2005, 11:21 PM
Does the 7448 even exist? I mean really has ANYBODY used it in anything yet? Its been out for how long?

generik
Nov 18, 2005, 11:25 PM
Why a 7447A?

Are those even capable of clocking to that kind of speed? If so, why weren't they included in the last upgrade?

fklehman
Nov 18, 2005, 11:42 PM
Why a 7447A? Are those even capable of clocking to that kind of speed? If so, why weren't they included in the last upgrade?

That's the same question I had, and what makes me suspicious--if Apple couldn't make a faster 7447A or even a similarly clocked 7448 work in the PB revision, how is Daystar doing it? Apple tried the 7448 for awhile, we got all the rumors about the 30 mHz speed bump, yay, and then THAT didn't even materialize. Turned into a Speed Dump. So where is Daystar getting its optimism? I'll believe it when I see it.

Morn
Nov 19, 2005, 02:07 AM
Hmmm, if it has worse battery life I would not think it would be worthwhile :rolleyes:

TheMonarch
Nov 19, 2005, 02:51 AM
Hmmm, if it has worse battery life I would not think it would be worthwhile :rolleyes:

Less heat means = Longer battery ;)

Anyways, won't the 1.92 GHz processor be yawning with a crummy 167mhz bus? :confused:
Its already running at 1/10th the speed...

Morn
Nov 19, 2005, 05:03 AM
That's what the cache is for.... G4 upgrades perform very well according to barefeats. I'd expect iit to perform at near the speed of a 1.8ghz G5.

johnnyjibbs
Nov 19, 2005, 05:12 AM
This is interesting, considering Apple's highest G4 to date is 1.67GHz. Too bad I have a 12" PB.

cube
Nov 19, 2005, 05:45 AM
Does the 7448 even exist? I mean really has ANYBODY used it in anything yet? Its been out for how long?

It's still in ramp-up.

generik
Nov 19, 2005, 05:56 AM
I still hope to see a 7448 in MWSF.

Call me a nutcase, but I want my final rev collector PB

Edit: Not this current POS we got with flickering screens filled with freaking horizontal lines all over :(

Morn
Nov 19, 2005, 06:06 AM
Nutcase.:p

fklehman
Nov 19, 2005, 01:14 PM
Some yahoo posted in the Apple Releases New PowerBooks (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=155905) thread two weeks ago claiming to have some beta/prototype 1.92 gHz PBG4 with a 7448. He claimed that he could talk about it because he didn't work for Apple and because Apple wasn't involved in the project anyway. He didn't post any pics or benchmarks and gave lots of evasive answers, so everyone shouted him down and called BS. I'm not saying I believe him cause he never backed up his claims, but it sure is a coincidence to have the two things happening so closely together.

Edit: See pages 19 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=155905&page=19) and 20 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=155905&page=20) of the thread for the relevant bits (posts 753-792).

Spectrum
Nov 19, 2005, 01:28 PM
Fklehman, this is the correct link I think... page 31

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1886871#post1886871

I was totally sceptical by teddy, but note that he says in sig - "special delivery from DS".

...DayStar?

a spooky coincidence if not.

--
Some yahoo posted in the Apple Releases New PowerBooks (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=155905) thread two weeks ago claiming to have some beta/prototype 1.92 gHz PBG4 with a 7448. He claimed that he could talk about it because he didn't work for Apple and because Apple wasn't involved in the project anyway. He didn't post any pics or benchmarks and gave lots of evasive answers, so everyone shouted him down and called BS. I'm not saying I believe him cause he never backed up his claims, but it sure is a coincidence to have the two things happening so closely together.

Edit: See pages 19 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=155905&page=19) and 20 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=155905&page=20) of the thread for the relevant bits (posts 753-792).

fklehman
Nov 19, 2005, 01:32 PM
Yeah, that's right--I didn't know how to directly link to an individual post, so I had to just link to the page number and then cite the post numbers. How'd you manage that? It IS a weird coincidence, that's why I thought it worth mentioning. The bit about having only a 512k cache on a 7448 really didn't make any sense, because I didn't know that was even possible, let alone desirable since the larger 1MB cache is one of the big advantages of the 7448 over the 7447A.

stoid
Nov 19, 2005, 01:40 PM
This would certainly be a godsend for my 2 year old 1.25 GHz Aluminum PowerBook. The nice thing being that AppleCare would be almost up and so I wouldn't be voiding much warrantee to install it. Any ideas to how much an upgrade like this would cost? I would be willing to spend maybe $800-1100US but any more than that, and I would probably just get a new laptop, and sell my current one.

What about graphics cards? Would this let me get something faster than my Mobility 9600?

Spectrum
Nov 19, 2005, 01:47 PM
Yeah, that's right--I didn't know how to directly link to an individual post, so I had to just link to the page number and then cite the post numbers. How'd you manage that?

Click on Teddy (or whoever) > Find more posts by... > click on the one you are interested in > copy the resulting http address.
:)

fklehman
Nov 19, 2005, 01:52 PM
Any ideas to how much an upgrade like this would cost? I would be willing to spend maybe $800-1100US but any more than that, and I would probably just get a new laptop, and sell my current one.

I doubt it would cost even that much. When I upgraded my Pismo to a G4/550 from its stock G3/400 via Daystar in May 2004, it cost $350. Daystar couldn't price the upgrade at $800 because it would just drive people to buy an iBook instead. As an educated guess, based on the pricing of other PB upgrades out there, I would say somewhere between $400-$700. They really couldn't get away with charging much more than that when iBooks are so cheap and the benefits of 1.92 gHz vs. 1.25 gHz are so minimal (since you're always dealing with a pokey 167 mHz bus in either case). The one factor that cuts in their favor is the Intel transition, because many may want to upgrade in order to hold out for Rev. B of the Intel books or do it in order to hold on to native PPC speeds and Classic compatibility for a while longer.

What about graphics cards? Would this let me get something faster than my Mobility 9600?

I doubt it. Daystar would probably have to replace the entire logic board, since the GPU is soldered to it. That's why I'm finally getting a new PB myself, because the pokey 8MB Rage Pro GPU in my Pismo might as well not even be there. I've upgraded everything else that is upgradeable, but the GPU is an albatross around the Pismo's neck, has been ever since OS X started offloading GUI loads to the GPU.

fklehman
Nov 19, 2005, 01:54 PM
Click on Teddy (or whoever) > Find more posts by... > click on the one you are interested in > copy the resulting http address.
:)

Thanks, Spectrum--I realized also that we were quoting different page numbers b/c we probably have our preferences set to display different numbers of posts per page (I get 40, I think). I should have thought of that.

Morn
Nov 19, 2005, 07:05 PM
:confused: The slow bus speed of the G4 does not hurt it in most benchmarks!

fklehman
Nov 19, 2005, 09:40 PM
:confused: The slow bus speed of the G4 does not hurt it in most benchmarks!

The slow bus speed sure doesn't help it--G5s have a bus running at 1/2 the speed of the processor. The only reason the 7448 is competitive with a G5 is because of its larger cache, which helps to compensate for the pokey bus. Hell, my Pismo has a 100 mHz system bus! In five years the bus speeds in PowerBooks went from 100 mHz to 167 mHz! That's nothing.

Morn
Nov 19, 2005, 11:16 PM
Ohh even the 7447A compares well to G5 at same clock speeds.:p But it is known that the G4 has a faster altivec unit.

generik
Nov 20, 2005, 01:01 AM
Hey, now that you guys mentioned it, it makes sense!

DS = Daystar!

*waves wand* off to ebay you go!

madmaxmedia
Nov 28, 2005, 04:16 PM
This is awesome, my 1.25 Ghz PB is out of warranty anyways...

I hope it doesn't cost too much, then it will be a great upgrade for my PB. It actually runs fine as it is, but this would further stretch out its lifespan.

I also wonder what the effect on battery life will be. If the new CPU is that much more efficient that it generates less heat at greater speed, then it should use less battery power, right?

generik
Nov 28, 2005, 04:25 PM
I hope Apple would at least officially unveil such a line in time for MWSF, if not release the Intel PBs.

1.67 is quite pokey...