Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AznBboy58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
YAY! I got a call from my local Apple Store today and they are holding their first Quad that they recieved for me to pick up tomorrow!

Now that its here, I want to know if you guys have any suggestions on optimizing its performance to the max! I have the machine with the following specs so far:

PowerMac Quad 2.5 G5
2.5GB DDR2-SDRAM
10,000RPM RAPTOR 74GB SATA DRIVE (boot drive)
7200RPM HITACHI DESKSTAR 500GB SATA2 DRIVE (scratch disk/storage drive)
Nvidia 6600 SE 256MB graphics card
30" Apple Cinema Display

I am going to order another 2GB of RAM and upgrade the graphics card to whatever comes out as a kit that is most powerful. Are there any other suggestions to help optimize the speed performance of this machine?

I'll be using it for Final Cut Studio stuff mainly ...

I'll get up pics when I can :p

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
AznBboy58 said:
YAY! I got a call from my local Apple Store today and they are holding their first Quad that they recieved for me to pick up tomorrow!

Now that its here, I want to know if you guys have any suggestions on optimizing its performance to the max! I have the machine with the following specs so far:

PowerMac Quad 2.5 G5
2.5GB DDR2-SDRAM
10,000RPM RAPTOR 74GB SATA DRIVE (boot drive)
7200RPM HITACHI DESKSTAR 500GB SATA2 DRIVE (scratch disk/storage drive)
Nvidia 6600 SE 256MB graphics card
30" Apple Cinema Display

I am going to order another 2GB of RAM and upgrade the graphics card to whatever comes out as a kit that is most powerful. Are there any other suggestions to help optimize the speed performance of this machine?

I'll get up pics when I can :p

"How do I speed up my Quad with 4 gigs of RAM and a 10,000 rpm Raptor?"

Christ, that's a stupid question. :rolleyes:

And how did you get it with options that aren't even available CTO?

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
iGary said:

Christ, that's a stupid question.
:rolleyes:
Sort of a stupid question, but hey, he's a noobie we all learn :).

Refer to the Mac Helping Guide in my signature for extra help :)

fklehman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Newark, DE
If you want it to move REALLY fast, you could load it into your car and do whatever the car will do. Or you could throw it out the window of a tall building, let's see, acceleration of gravity is 9.81 meters per second, you get it going real fast that way...

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
fklehman said:
If you want it to move REALLY fast, you could load it into your car and do whatever the car will do. Or you could throw it out the window of a tall building, let's see, acceleration of gravity is 9.81 meters per second, you get it going real fast that way...

I can't say that I would reccomend either of these options...the results could be less than desirable. ;) :)

Hyernel

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
The only thing you need to do to get blazing speed from your new Quad is...

1.) Secure the cat
2.) Press the power button on your Quad G5
3.) Re-secure the cat

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
AznBboy58 said:
If you run any rendering tests or benchmarking with FCS, post it. Thanks.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
this ought to do it for ya

Attachments

• upload_340254.jpg
    upload_340254.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 137

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Basically, we're saying that you've got the fastest Mac out there. There isn't anything you need to do other than, ummm... use it. ;)

AznBboy58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
lol .. i kinda got the hint :cool:

I guess I already did all I could to maximize its components. Just thought I'd ask ...

AznBboy58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
iGary said:

Christ, that's a stupid question. :rolleyes:

And how did you get it with options that aren't even available CTO?

I bought all the other parts separately.

fklehman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Newark, DE
What the hell you planning to do with that thing? Bring down a UFO? Hey, you might even pull 30fps on Doom III!:D :D :D

PS: What GPU did you get, the FireGL?

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
fklehman said:
Don't you mean meters per second squared :D couldn't resist. ;)

Nuc

fklehman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Newark, DE
Nuc said:
Don't you mean meters per second squared :D couldn't resist. ;)
Nuc

Yeah, I skipped the squared in the interests of brevity...probably shouldn't have in retrospect, since most people around here are probably physics nuts.

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
If you get realy drunk, you might actualy feel like your quad is going faster.

But, congrats, you got my dream computer.

hogo

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2005
so. cal
quad Ram question

I will be using my Quad primarily with logic pro and i've recently heard that you shouldn't mix RAM dimm's of varying size. I'm aware of the pairing necessity but i was wondering if anyone has heard of problems with this. I recieved my quad with 4x1gb RAM and want to add some 2gb dimms down the road. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
hogo said:
I will be using my Quad primarily with logic pro and i've recently heard that you shouldn't mix RAM dimm's of varying size. I'm aware of the pairing necessity but i was wondering if anyone has heard of problems with this. I recieved my quad with 4x1gb RAM and want to add some 2gb dimms down the road. Any advice would be appreciated.
Memory has to be added in pairs of identical dimms. Adding 2GB memory dimms won't be an issue.

The first couple of revisions of iMac G5s performed better if they had two identical dimms in them.

I intend on doing the same thing once 2GB dimms drop to under $300 each.

hogo

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2005
so. cal
cool

Thanks for the reply, i would hate to have to sell my other soul to get all new ram and toss the 1gb dimms!:)

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
The image above is great!

OR..... if you have nerves of steel, you could gut a pair of XBox 360's
and install 2 IBM tripple core processors. :D

I would love to see the results of your benchmarks posted here AND
at Tom's Hardware Guide.

In fact you might want to check with them about the tests they'd like to see.

Congratulations!

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
*drools*

Sounds like an awesome set-up. Now you need to post a very good review, so I can email it to my ex-yearbook advisor who bought a Powerbook last march. I need to convince her to purchase a G5 Desktop because it is faster and more powerful, and then she could give me her Powerbook.. HAA!

Anyhow, very very sweet specs on that machine. My dream mac set-up would run be about 10K and sure enough this would be my work horse :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.