PDA

View Full Version : Current value of macs website

Stinkythe1
Nov 20, 2005, 02:28 PM
I remember seeing some website that showed the value of macs for resale. For example, it might show that a Macintosh 128 might be worth $200 and a Powermac G5 1.6 might be worth $1500.

It had a list of all the different apple products with their value. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

generik
Nov 20, 2005, 02:33 PM
eBay is always a good guide, but when the Intel switchover is complete you will see everything fall to the norminal price of $0.00.

Majikthese42
Nov 20, 2005, 02:59 PM
eBay is always a good guide, but when the Intel switchover is complete you will see everything fall to the norminal price of $0.00.

Ummmmm... well, I checked e-bay for that old iMac G3 400Mhz that's on the floor and I'm walking around because I don't have the time to wipe the HD, and I was amazed to discover that it has a value of more than $0.00. So instead of putting it out in the trash, I'll put it on e-bay. Once I get around to wiping the HD.

BTW, I paid $1,499 back in 2000, the cute-as-the-dickens 12" PB that I just bought was $1,499 - $150 rebate = $1349.

Ain't free trade grand? :D

crazzyeddie
Nov 20, 2005, 03:09 PM

Whats the definition of norminal? And I'm pretty sure that PPC Macs will retain most of their value after Intels are released, and 68k Macs will also retain their value, as they are mostly sentimental anyway.

Daedalus256
Nov 20, 2005, 03:11 PM
I'm willing to bet that after the intel switch, PPC macs will still be in demand, especially once a ton of first generation bugs rear their heads. Besides, the PPC platform holds a lot of value to previous mac owners.

pubwvj
Nov 20, 2005, 03:19 PM

Not really. The new MacIntel machines will not run Classic applications. That alone makes the PPC Macs worth using for many people and businesses who have data in legacy application formats. The existance of MacIntel won't kill the price of PPC Macs. I almost wish it would since then I could buy up any I wanted. :)

Stinkythe1
Nov 20, 2005, 03:25 PM
Still looking for that website guys... ;)

vga4life
Nov 20, 2005, 03:33 PM
The website you want is called ebay. Search for completed items. Marvel at the idiots who pay 80% of the new price for 2-year-old computers.

Or, for more recent Macs, just go to the store.apple.com "Special Deals" page and look up the price of a refurb mac. Then add 10% to that price and watch it sell to some other idiot on craigslist.

I'll never understand why people pay so much for used macs.

-vga4life

aquajet
Nov 20, 2005, 03:41 PM
The website you want is called ebay. Search for completed items. Marvel at the idiots who pay 80% of the new price for 2-year-old computers.....I'll never understand why people pay so much for used macs.

Ha, sometimes it goes higher than 80%. I was recently on the lookout for an iMac G4, ideally a 17". Funny thing, those things were selling for as much as a refurb 17" iMac G5 direct from Apple. The 15" models went for significantly less, so I settled on the last rev. 1.0 Ghz iMac G4 for a great price. I'm happy with it. :)

neut
Nov 20, 2005, 03:44 PM
Current Mac prices are listed at Low End Macs ( http://www.lowendmac.com/deals.shtml) ... not sure about older systems though. :confused:

peace | neut

Stinkythe1
Nov 20, 2005, 03:46 PM
Current Mac prices are listed at Low End Macs ( http://www.lowendmac.com/deals.shtml) ... not sure about older systems though. :confused:

peace | neut

That's KIND of what I'm looking for, but I remember it being more layed out like in a table or something.

JDOG_
Nov 20, 2005, 03:56 PM
Not really. The new MacIntel machines will not run Classic applications. That alone makes the PPC Macs worth using for many people and businesses who have data in legacy application formats.

Won't Rosetta allow any PPC app, classic or otherwise to be run on the x86 architecture? In that case, there is no reason to have a PPC machine whatsoever.

neut
Nov 20, 2005, 04:03 PM
Won't Rosetta allow any PPC app, classic or otherwise to be run on the x86 architecture? In that case, there is no reason to have a PPC machine whatsoever.

There will be a speed lost with emulation. PPCs are quite relevant.

peace | neut

g^3
Nov 20, 2005, 04:05 PM
i think this is what you're looking for.....
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/index.html
goodluck

Stinkythe1
Nov 20, 2005, 04:11 PM
i think this is what you're looking for.....
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/index.html
goodluck

That is EXACTLY IT!!! Thank you so much!!!!

*adds to bookmarks*

Macky-Mac
Nov 20, 2005, 04:28 PM

last I remember hearing was that Apple didn't plan to support Classic applications on Rosetta.....maybe they've changed their mind since the switch was announced but that's what I remember being said at the time

chaos86
Nov 20, 2005, 04:50 PM
apple had enough trouble just getting classic (apps for an old kernel) to be emulated in OS X. now imagine running an app thats emulated to run on a different kernel, emulated to run on a different chip architecture. it's like running virtual pc, but more complex because the virtual pc software emulates the intel and microsoft stuff all at the same time.

mklos
Nov 20, 2005, 07:53 PM

I think that it will have the opposite effect that you said. PPC Macs are still needed for a lot of people and when Apple stops producing them, they're going to be in extreme need for many others. Just like AirPort Cards went up in price when Apple stopped producing them. I don't see the value of PPC Macs going down anytime soon. Yes, they will go down eventually, but not anything past what they do now.