PDA

View Full Version : Mac mini Graphics card question

starla76
Nov 20, 2005, 04:54 PM
Hi,
I've had my mini since Feb. and I am now trying to run some games. I tried to check under "About this Mac" to see what kind of graphics card I have. (I know its supposed to be a Radeon 9200 with 32 MB of VRAM). Instead of listing that, it lists ATY, RV 280 under "card". There is no "Graphics" catagory at all. I just want to find out what kind of card I actually have and why I can't find it under hardware. Does anyone have a clue about this? Thanks!

P.S. Apple tech support was no help.

Sun Baked
Nov 20, 2005, 05:04 PM
Quicky answered via a search ...

ATI card, and the actual ATI name for the graphics GPU.

Radeon 9200

The RV 280 (Radeon 9200), like its predecessor the RV 250 (Radeon 9000), is based on the DirectX 8.1 design of the Radeon 8500 (R 200). Compared to the Radeon 8500 with its 4x2 pipe design, this chip only features half as many texture units per pixel pipeline (4x1) and only one vertex shader unit. The main differences between the Radeon 9000 and the 9200 are the newer part's higher clock speeds, and its support for the AGP 8x interface. It is produced on a 0.15µ process and contains roughly 32 million transistors. Note: Shows up as ATY in the Macs for the Apple installed OEM cards/chips -- and shows up as ATI in their Mac retail cards. Set up to help keep some of the features for the retail card drivers from working with their OEM counterparts.

caveman_uk
Nov 20, 2005, 05:04 PM
I've got a powerbook and it says my graphics card is a 'ATY,RV360M11' which is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700. Basically ATY is ATI and RVxxxx is a Radeon. Incidently what makes you think you haven't got the same graphics 'card' as other mac minis? All mac minis have built in graphics so it won't have been changed from whatever was the standard when yours was built.

starla76
Nov 20, 2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks. I didn't think it made sense that I would have a different graphics card than anyone else. I just wasn't sure why it wasn't showing up. Its just that a game I was trying to run wasn't working properly so I wanted to double check.