PDA

View Full Version : This is what I would do with Apple..

Recoil
Dec 26, 2002, 11:14 PM
Dual 2Ghz PowerPC 970
1Ghz DDR2 Ram 128-bit or 256-bit
1Ghz Bus
Serial ATA150 with 4 ports
Hypertransport north/south bridges
Redesigned sound
Geforce-FX+
8X AGP
PCI-X
Firewire 800
USB 2.0
two independent Ethernet controllers
Run it all on hypertransport

Price 1999.99 without the monitor.
If anyone at apple comes here and reads the forum. This is what you need to do! I'm not kidding. This is what people want to see. If I was in control at apple I would have this out at the start of the summer. This would take apple to another level,but then I woke up. The truth is, Apple can not take it to another level. They will always be at 5% of the market and no higher.

leghorn
Dec 26, 2002, 11:28 PM
Sounds dreamy.
I want one
w/ a 100 MHz bus.

strider42
Dec 26, 2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Recoil
Dual 2Ghz PowerPC 970
1Ghz DDR2 Ram 128-bit
Redesigned sound
Geforce-FX+
8X AGP
PCI-X
Firewire 800
USB 2.0

If anyone at apple comes here and reads the forum. This is what you need to do! I'm not kidding. This is what people want to see. If I was in control at apple I would have this out at the start of the summer. This would take apple to another level,but then I woke up. The truth is, Apple can not take it to another level. They will always be at 5% of the market and no higher.

People might want to see it, but you realize its actually impossible right. The 970 doesn't exist yet. When it does, its scheduled to debut at 1.8 ghz. Apple has absolutely no control over this. They would be putting out a lot of this if it wasn't for other parties involved.

That said, apple definiltey has some room to make their machines much more competitive, particularly in the pro market. Some of the things you suggest should be on the powermacs, and I rather suspect they will be soon enough. Some of its a pipe dream though.

obstaclelobster
Dec 26, 2002, 11:57 PM
Dual 2Ghz PowerPC 970

etc etc..

They will always be at 5% of the market and no higher.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/591?page=last&x-showcontent=text

I dont think this is really what the "general populace" wants. I think Apple is definately on track with their concept of the digital hub for the consumer market (the corporate market, the real moneymaker, is a totally different, stodgy story). The populace wants a computer that's stable, runs all the programs they want (which is mostly Internet Browsing, IM services, Office, email, and increasingly programs like iPhoto and iMovie for family things) and is the best for the price point. What kind of programs would even require the processing power you describe? Games and Maya, that's about all I can think of. With all that raw power, its just pure overkill for what applications and hardware are out now. I can transfer full D1 quality video on my reconditioned Powerbook 500 that was made in April 2000, and I'm happy. I think a lot of people tend to forget that computers are made tools for doing what you want (I personally love the Mercedes comparison in the link above).

Apple is a company that (I think) is happy with their market share, as long as they can continue to be innovators and risk takers. They like what they're doing, and yes need to back up on the innovation to survive around that 5% margin. BUT they are helping people explore their own capibilities. Personally I believe that Macs should be standard campus fare. I always wondered if OS X was also a sneaky attempt to get apple hardware into places that run engineering/sciencey programs that traditionally ran on unix boxes.

But anyways, with my Powerbook, right out of the box, I can:

Edit D1 quality video
run a webserver
Manage a photo album collection
Manage a music collection, rip CDs etc
Browse the internet
get Mail
Use an IM service
program in C/Perl (with devTools)

Do i need Dual 2gig processors to do all that? No. Am I happy with what I have? Most definately.

oblob

obstaclelobster
Dec 27, 2002, 12:19 AM
Just for fun, my own dream for Apple...

Apple announces a partnership with Cisco systems and Sprint PCS (or the appropriate innovators in Broadband/Wireless networking) to develop OS X and Apple hardware as platforms for "communications hardware", meaning tablet PCs that run on a nationwide wireless network. The PCs all run on OS X and have integrated IM, mail, file transfer and storage and sharing (linked through SQL type or iTunes type file management databases), video conferencing and voice conferencing and whiteboard, and internet browsing capibilities.

the name could be iReach.

the central model of PC computing is slowly dying....

nanosound
Dec 27, 2002, 12:34 AM
It's always nice to dream.

I would love to get a tower in the next few months. I'm afraid it will fall short of these specs.

arn
Dec 27, 2002, 12:50 AM

While you have the ability to create things out of thin air... why not a Gazzilion Ghz PPC and price it at $1?

arn

scem0
Dec 27, 2002, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by arn

While you have the ability to create things out of thin air... why not a Gazzilion Ghz PPC and price it at $1?

arn

I have to agree with Arn here. I mean, apple tries its best to
satisfy customers, when they know they are behind in many
categories. They want to produce a 'Gazzilion GHz PPC' just
as much as we want one, but them reading about how much
we want it isn't going to make it possible. Don't expect that
computer till a while from now. :(

JSRockit
Dec 27, 2002, 06:35 AM
This is for the MacWorld in 2004 right?

MacCoaster
Dec 27, 2002, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by leghorn
Sounds dreamy.
I want one
w/ a 100 MHz bus.
Ouch. That'd be painful.

What's the point of slapping it on 100 MHz bus when it can do 900 MHz? :p

macmax
Dec 27, 2002, 08:17 AM
Hi, merry christmas to you all!!
What about having a better bus drive.
I think it makes a big difference and if you watch the (argghhh) pc world you will see how fast the bus drives have become.

macmax
Dec 27, 2002, 08:20 AM
Dual 2Ghz PowerPC 970
1Ghz DDR2 Ram 128-bit
Redesigned sound
Geforce-FX+
8X AGP
PCI-X
Firewire 800
USB 2.0

Price is the only major backup for people, i mean it is the most powerful reason for not getting a Mac.
At least that is what my thesis about Apple is showing up.

cubist
Dec 27, 2002, 08:49 AM
iBook enclosure, but no screen (keyboard on top), no battery or trackpad, enlarged to fit regular 3.5" hard drives.
CD-ROM and 20GB hard drive.
128MB RAM.
1.2 GHz Sahara G3.
Mobile Radeon graphics chipset with 32MB VRAM, VGA video connector only.
USB, Firewire, Ethernet.
Price? $399.

iapple
Dec 27, 2002, 08:56 AM
I'm afraid I have to say this kind of topic is quite useless, as arn has mentioned..

Lets be realistic with the pricing and the specs and what people really need.

JSRockit
Dec 27, 2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by cubist
iBook enclosure, but no screen (keyboard on top), no battery or trackpad, enlarged to fit regular 3.5" hard drives.
128MB RAM.
1.2 GHz Sahara G3.
USB, Firewire, Ethernet.
Price? $399.

I might be into something like this... but it would cost more...maybe $599.

JSRockit
Dec 27, 2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by macmax

Price is the only major backup for people, i mean it is the most powerful reason for not getting a Mac.

That isn't as true anymore. Any comparible PC laptop to the TiBook is well over $2000 as well. And the iBook at $999 has no competition. PowerMacs...you may have a point. Alot of times you are paying for Apple's aesthetics...and that is no different from any other product on the market when it comes to price. If you like the pretty one, most of the time you spend more $$$.

DeadlyBreakfast
Dec 27, 2002, 09:47 AM
If I was in control at apple I would have this out at the start of the summer.

Hahahahahaha...Yea right. Im sure all of the RnD for this type of integration you could do in your spare time too right??

DeadlyBreakfast
Dec 27, 2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by macmax

My thesis about macmax is showing up (Whatever the heck that means. I'll bet your thesis is just chock full of nice little grammar ditties like this) is that macmax is a tightwad.

Chomolungma
Dec 27, 2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by obstaclelobster

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/591?page=last&x-showcontent=text

I dont think this is really what the "general populace" wants. I think Apple is definately on track with their concept of the digital hub for the consumer market (the corporate market, the real moneymaker, is a totally different, stodgy story). The populace wants a computer that's stable, runs all the programs they want (which is mostly Internet Browsing, IM services, Office, email, and increasingly programs like iPhoto and iMovie for family things) and is the best for the price point. What kind of programs would even require the processing power you describe? Games and Maya, that's about all I can think of. With all that raw power, its just pure overkill for what applications and hardware are out now. I can transfer full D1 quality video on my reconditioned Powerbook 500 that was made in April 2000, and I'm happy. I think a lot of people tend to forget that computers are made tools for doing what you want (I personally love the Mercedes comparison in the link above).

Apple is a company that (I think) is happy with their market share, as long as they can continue to be innovators and risk takers. They like what they're doing, and yes need to back up on the innovation to survive around that 5% margin. BUT they are helping people explore their own capibilities. Personally I believe that Macs should be standard campus fare. I always wondered if OS X was also a sneaky attempt to get apple hardware into places that run engineering/sciencey programs that traditionally ran on unix boxes.

But anyways, with my Powerbook, right out of the box, I can:

Edit D1 quality video
run a webserver
Manage a photo album collection
Manage a music collection, rip CDs etc
Browse the internet
get Mail
Use an IM service
program in C/Perl (with devTools)

Do i need Dual 2gig processors to do all that? No. Am I happy with what I have? Most definately.

oblob

I'm in the bioresearch field and we often run a simple software that search for pattern in DNA matrix. We use macs and PC. Average time for a search could take second or days (even weeks). Unfortunately, the search we like to perform often takes days. I like a computer that can reduce this time down to say several hours.

On the home front, I would love to edit my video intelligently. For example, turning the light down in a scene to make it look more gloomy than it really is, but at the same time keep the bright light focus on the subject. This simple thing can be easily envision in our minds, but takes lots of interface interactions and only the pros in Hollywood can do. I want computer that respond and do human commands. I don't want to use a mouse to edit a pic using Photoshop 10 or 20 years from now. I want the computer to interact with me to make the photo better without the fuss and time (sort of like working with a super fast Photoshop pro, but it is my computer). I want to be able to play the net version of SIM that possess extraordinary graphics and sounds that can be mistaken for the real thing.

obstaclelobster and all those that thinks computers and communication infrastructure today can do these things. Show it to me.

"apple is happy with 5% market share"....What is the F**Kin point of running a business just to survive? If you yearn for state run factories, may I suggest emmigrating to say Cuba or North Korea or Vietnam

strider42
Dec 27, 2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Chomolungma

"apple is happy with 5% market share"....What is the F**Kin point of running a business just to survive? If you yearn for state run factories, may I suggest emmigrating to say Cuba or North Korea or Vietnam

I don't rellly see the connection between 5% market share and state run factories. DO you really think 5% market share is just "surviving". thats a lot of business. Enough busienss that several manufaturers would kill to have it, in all sorts of markets. 5% is pretty good. apple has publically said it thinks it can double its market share, and whether true or not, thats what they are working towards. They don't seem to have any designs on getting huge, and good for that. There's something to be said for a smaller company thats profitable and nimble, rather than a giant that is bogged down and loses money. Whats the point of large market share if you aren't making money? Isn't that, afteralll, what america and capitalism is about. the state run factories of the countries you mention control a lot more and don't make near as much money probably.

Chomolungma
Dec 27, 2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by strider42

I don't rellly see the connection between 5% market share and state run factories. DO you really think 5% market share is just "surviving". thats a lot of business. Enough busienss that several manufaturers would kill to have it, in all sorts of markets. 5% is pretty good. apple has publically said it thinks it can double its market share, and whether true or not, thats what they are working towards. They don't seem to have any designs on getting huge, and good for that. There's something to be said for a smaller company thats profitable and nimble, rather than a giant that is bogged down and loses money. Whats the point of large market share if you aren't making money? Isn't that, afteralll, what america and capitalism is about. the state run factories of the countries you mention control a lot more and don't make near as much money probably.

Most companies are in constant state of advance or decline in market share in addition to changing economic conditions. As an investor, I want to see them expand, but the bottom line is increase profit. Huge company does not always equate to large profit.

Durandal7
Dec 27, 2002, 12:29 PM
If I was in control at apple I would have this out at the start of the summer. This would take apple to another level,but then I woke up. The truth is, Apple can not take it to another level. They will always be at 5% of the market and no higher.
Oh yeah? If I were in charge at Apple I would have a 5Ghz Quad Processor Powermac for $999 that includes 2 monitors out before the end of the week.

Take that!

springscansing
Dec 27, 2002, 12:42 PM
128MB RAM.
1.2 GHz Sahara G3.
USB, Firewire, Ethernet.
Price? $399.

*gasp*

Why didn't I think of that? ...

That's like seriously a good idea. Just... a keyboard with a slot-loading CD-RW drive, make it 256 RAM (SDRAM is like 2 dollars nowadays, especially for Apple I'm sure), 1ghz G3, mobile radeon, hm.. with whatever connecters you need for apple's flatpanels. A keyboard computer + flatpanel would be the most attractive system in existance. 2 USB, 1 firewire, ethernet.

Hm.. I don't see why they couldn't do that for 699. Now if they could hit 599... it would be crazy popular. A very fast computer for the price, and with the most astounding form factor in the history of computers. At only 699, who cares if you cannot upgrade it. Throw it away in 3 years and get another one.

Let's face it... how cool would it be to run OS X and play Ghost Recon on your keyboard? haha

strider42
Dec 27, 2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by springscansing

*gasp*

That's like seriously a good idea. Just... a keyboard with a slot-loading CD-RW drive, make it 256 RAM (SDRAM is like 2 dollars nowadays, especially for Apple I'm sure), 1ghz G3, mobile radeon, hm.. with whatever connecters you need for apple's flatpanels. A keyboard computer + flatpanel would be the most attractive system in existance. 2 USB, 1 firewire, ethernet.

Hm.. I don't see why they couldn't do that for 699. Now if they could hit 599... it would be crazy popular. A very fast computer for the price, and with the most astounding form factor in the history of computers. At only 699, who cares if you cannot upgrade it. Throw it away in 3 years and get another one.

Let's face it... how cool would it be to run OS X and play Ghost Recon on your keyboard? haha

A PC like this already exists. I can't remember where I saw it, but I know I did see something like that a few months back.

primalman
Dec 27, 2002, 01:10 PM

A PC like this already exists. I can't remember where I saw it, but I know I did see something like that a few months back.

Yeah it exsists, and it did soooo long ago, at least in its concept form....the Amiga. And the previous Commodores. And now some cheapo PC place is making them for the space-concious crowd.

Decent idea, but a headless iMac would be better I think. Dumb it down a little to save some $.

JSRockit
Dec 27, 2002, 01:13 PM
I would love to see a small desktop of some sort...be it a cube, laptop sized rectangle, circle etc...anything but a tower.

mcrain
Dec 27, 2002, 01:34 PM
What the "dream machine" really needs is a 3.5" floppy drive.

(Yes, that was sarcasm)

JSRockit
Dec 27, 2002, 01:36 PM

Here it is:
https://www.cybernetman.com/default.cfm/DocId/602.htm

This is lame...totally looks like an old commodore or something like that. However, if you just chopped the screen off the iBook and made a bit thicker to add needed specs...that would be cooler.

JSRockit
Dec 27, 2002, 01:39 PM
Then there is this:

https://www.cybernetman.com/default.cfm/DocId/612.htm

Battery-less laptop. The PC world is going bananas. I guess this makes sense for Lan party types, but even in the biggest of desktop replacements...I'd like a battery in case I have to move it...I wouldn't want to reboot to move it.

medea
Dec 27, 2002, 02:38 PM
5% of the market? Do you realize that while Apple is the ONLY one manufacturing Mac's in the market the rest of the 95% of the market share is numerous other PC manufacturers, why doesnt anyone ever talk about Dell's market share which happens to only be about 7% higher than Apples, Apple sells plenty of macs a year and is doing quite well for itself in a bad economy, and what do you mean they "cannot take it to another level?" Do you not remember when Apple hardware was the speediest on the market? Right now the only thing Apple is lagging in is processor power and that is in no way Apples fault.

Oh and on a side note I'm sure you meant to say "this is what I would do with the Powermac" and not Apple, because last time I checked it was pretty hard to upgrade the RAM of a company......

scem0
Dec 27, 2002, 02:55 PM
to those people talking about the revolutionary iBook/keyboard
computer thingy. Yes, that would be cool. But I am trying to
envision an iBook keyboard with no monitor sitting in front of an
apple display, and all I can think is UGLY. I mean, who wants a
HUGE, HEAVY keyboard. Not to mention a delecate one. You don't
want to spill something on that keyboard. I can't ever see this
happening.:( ;) :)

j763
Dec 27, 2002, 03:35 PM
The 970 doesn't exist yet. When it does, its scheduled to debut at 1.8 ghz.

According to IBM's current estimates (http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/A1387A29AC1C2AE087256C5200611780/$file/PPC970_MPF2002.pdf), it will debut at 1.6 and reach an expected 1.8.

Mighty Mac
Dec 27, 2002, 10:32 PM
I would like to see this keyboard come to life but some different specs
64 meg VRam with Svid, DVI &VGA support
512 mb pc 133 ram
1-1.4 ghz G3
CDRW/DVD Combo drive
30-60 GB HD
100 MHz bus
2 USB
1 FW
PCIMCA slot (for wireless card)
10/100 network
OSX only

Play all the games or watch a dvd on your tv
Copy a tv program to watch later
do your video editing and listen to music at your desk.

$699

obstaclelobster
Dec 28, 2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Chomolungma

obstaclelobster and all those that thinks computers and communication infrastructure today can do these things. Show it to me.

sorry, i should have been clearer with what i meant. i dont disagree that there are applications out there that really need that kind of processing power. but the original poster mentioned only hardware issues, not the kinds of things that he/she would like to do with the hardware or a direction of computing apple should take. the things you mention (besides the searches) would be development of both hardware and software, and i'm totally for development of the things you say. there's things i want to be able to do as well.

and why does a business have to be either in the process of expanding or shrinking? can't a company and group of people just enjoy constantly taking risks while staying at the same level of income and profit margin? maybe goal number one isnt to make vast sums of money, but to produce quality, groundbreaking products that change the face of communications and computing? i don't yearn for state-run factories, i just want to see a company that enjoys what it's doing while continually shedding its own skin for innovation's sake. and to buy their products as long as i can afford them because i enjoy them.

oblob

kansaigaijin
Dec 28, 2002, 02:35 AM
that keyboard thingy looks pretty cool, like, ya, a keyboard!
what more do you need?

JSRockit
Dec 28, 2002, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Mighty Mac
I would like to see this keyboard come to life but some different specs
64 meg VRam with Svid, DVI &VGA support
512 mb pc 133 ram
1-1.4 ghz G3
CDRW/DVD Combo drive
30-60 GB HD
100 MHz bus
2 USB
1 FW
PCIMCA slot (for wireless card)
10/100 network
OSX only

Play all the games or watch a dvd on your tv
Copy a tv program to watch later
do your video editing and listen to music at your desk.

$699

It would have to be something to rival the Windows Media Center stuff coming out recently...like this:

http://www.alienware.com/main/media_center.asp

I know their are other similar to these, but this one is the nicest I've seen. However, Apple could do this so much better. Unfortunately, I don't think it could be for $699 when trying to rival these.

However, what the original post was trying to get across is that if an iBook can go for $999...then we can chop the screen off, dumb doiwn the specs and make a super cheap Apple.

Gus
Dec 29, 2002, 07:53 PM
I've never understood the argument that our machine's are fast enough for what we need. That makes no sense to me whatsoever. If we have faster machines, then there can be more apps and add-ons that will do more things. That is the nature of computers. If our machines were fast enough already, then we wouldn't have needed the PowerPC at all. We could have just ramped up the 68040 a little more and been happy with a web browser and e-mail. The faster procdessors are what makes it possible for everyday Joe's to eventually do things that only high-end businesses are able to do now. Think about using iMovie to edit video on a Performa.

If we have faster machines, then there are more things that can be done more efficiently. That's the whole point. Yeah, my iBook or tower will do all of the sound editing I do right now, but the idea is to do it faster so that I can get more done and try new things. Does anyone like to sit and watch the computer work when they are already thinking of the next step? I know that it will be a while until the machines work as fast as I think, but the sooner that we can get closer to that the better. Right?

Regards,
Gus

JSRockit
Dec 29, 2002, 08:35 PM
[i] Yeah, my iBook or tower will do all of the sound editing I do right now, but the idea is to do it faster so that I can get more done and try new things. Does anyone like to sit and watch the computer work when they are already thinking of the next step? I know that it will be a while until the machines work as fast as I think, but the sooner that we can get closer to that the better. Right?

Regards,
Gus [/B]

Exactly...I want my computer to react to whatever I throw at it as quick as it can be...imagine effecting a wav or aiff in realtime instead of waiting 30 seconds.

multifinder
Dec 31, 2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by JSRockit

Exactly...I want my computer to react to whatever I throw at it as quick as it can be...imagine effecting a wav or aiff in realtime instead of waiting 30 seconds.

I agree--there are plenty of things more speed would help with. Try playing back digital video on a new iMac and watch the "supercomputer-class" G4 drop frames as it can't keep up. I ended up buying a PowerMac because the eMac/iMac are so underpowered for what I need--but it was damn tempting to get a PC at half the cost that would be as fast as the PowerMac I have now. Only my hatred of Windows kept me from being a reverse switcher--if Apple keeps lagging in speed, their puny 2.5-3% of the market will shrink to 0% and the only Mac software being released will be iApps and shareware.

MrMacMan
Dec 31, 2002, 09:09 PM
To most of you:
Keep dreaming.

But for some of use that dream in the present:
Faster Ram, maybe one that has 'Real DDR' (Dream big: RDRAM, yeah we are kidding aren't we?)
Bus speed: We are living a lie if we think our bus speed is anywhere 'NEAR' good. What do we have now? 100, 133? No, that is just wrong. What do the P4's have 400 something, 533??(Dream big: Think quad-pumped.)
Processor upgrades would always be nice. I'd like to see 1.5 dual sometime soon, and maybe if MOTO/IBM get far behind a quad system.
Video card: I'd like to see the PC cards getting here faster. (ATI 9700 please)

Oh yes and more options, I'd like to see some more systems in general, something to replace the Cube. (Yeah its been gone for a while, but so?)
Just my .02

JSRockit
Jan 1, 2003, 07:36 AM
Yes...more options from Apple would be nice. 3 or 4 different laptops... 5 to 10 different desktops...etc. But I would imagine that it isn't in Apple's best interest.

Dr. Distortion
Jan 1, 2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by springscansing

*gasp*

Reminds me of the good ol' Commodore 64 and the Commodore Amiga ;)

dstorey
Jan 1, 2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by JSRockit

If you like the pretty one, most of the time you spend more $$$.

Apples are a bit like women then? ;)

benixau
Jan 1, 2003, 08:45 AM
JSRockit:

apple keeps a simple product line. it was supposed to be 4x4:

PowerMac - PowerBook
iMac - iBook

they added the eMac because alot of schools couldn't justify iMacs. Apple wins on simplicity; here is is, do you want power or consumer? do you want portable or desktop?

in two questions they have selected the line of machine they want

do you want to works, to basics or something in between?

in three questions they have selected the exact machine they want. They can all be customised to an extent, especially the pmacs. Try dell.

Do you want DDR-RAM or RDRAM?
Do you want a TFT or CRT?
Do you want to play games or do work mainly?
Do you want alot of storage or not?
Do you want a sound card or on-board sound?
Do you want a DVD?
Do you want a CD-Burner (no DVD-R option)?
Do you want Windows 2000 or XP Home or XP Pro?

8 questions and you may get there. lets use the KISS principle. i know which i chose.

benixau
Jan 1, 2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by dstorey

Apples are a bit like women then? ;)

duh, you are slow tonite

JSRockit
Jan 1, 2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by benixau
JSRockit:

apple keeps a simple product line. it was supposed to be 4x4:

PowerMac - PowerBook
iMac - iBook

they added the eMac because alot of schools couldn't justify iMacs. Apple wins on simplicity; here is is, do you want power or consumer? do you want portable or desktop?

in two questions they have selected the line of machine they want

do you want to works, to basics or something in between?

in three questions they have selected the exact machine they want. They can all be customised to an extent, especially the pmacs. Try dell.

Do you want DDR-RAM or RDRAM?
Do you want a TFT or CRT?
Do you want to play games or do work mainly?
Do you want alot of storage or not?
Do you want a sound card or on-board sound?
Do you want a DVD?
Do you want a CD-Burner (no DVD-R option)?
Do you want Windows 2000 or XP Home or XP Pro?

8 questions and you may get there. lets use the KISS principle. i know which i chose.

I don't have a problem with Apple's or Dell's way of doing things...but I do have to say this...when, I go to dell's site...I don't want anything...when I go to Apple's site...I'm fine with each and every computer they have. And this isn't because I hate PCs...I do like Fujitsu's stuff...it is because I don't like Dell's style...good specs, but no style. I need my computer to look good and act well. Call me shallow...I don't mind. I want the whole doughnut or nothing.

cubist
Jan 1, 2003, 11:24 AM
The very first question is "do you want DDR-SDRAM vs. RDRAM"?:eek: If that's the first question, Dell will scare off most of their customers. That question shouldn't even be on the list. In fact, the other questions aren't very good either. How about:

1. How much are you willing to spend?
2. Do you want an all-in-one system to save space, or do you want a component system, or do you want a portable (notebook) system?
3. Do you want to write your own DVDs?

I think that's about all the questions you need to give them a choice of two or three models. Few customers will be in a position to make an educated decision about hard drive capacity or graphics boards. You can't ask people "will anyone ever play a game on the machine?", because the answer will inevitably be "maybe, who knows?".

As for the PC operating systems, Win2K would be my choice, but I don't think it's offered anymore, and XP Home with its activation nonsense is unacceptable, and XP Pro costs $200. The correct answer would be "none of the above". Dell should start offering Lindows.

JSRockit
Jan 1, 2003, 11:37 AM
and XP Home with its activation nonsense is unacceptable, and XP Pro costs $200.

I use XP pro... what is the activation nonsense on the home version? Just want to know what to avoid.

Kid Red
Jan 1, 2003, 12:24 PM
Dual 2Ghz PowerPC 970
1Ghz DDR2 Ram 128-bit or 256-bit
1Ghz Bus

Is it me or is 1ghz bus not very likely even in the next few years?

primalman
Jan 1, 2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Kid Red

Is it me or is 1ghz bus not very likely even in the next few years?

When the IBM 970 was talked about in Oct., the claimed bus speed was 900 mhz.

Yeeha!

I do not think that getting to 1g bus speeds would be a big issue, more of a math problem when the faster speeds are reached.

twillis
Jan 1, 2003, 02:31 PM
Everybody is so stuck in the box. One must think different(ly.) Hardware is important and I too want the fastest powermac and laptop possible, but that is just half of the picture.

Hardware: I want macs using PPC and x86 chips, both designed and sold exclusively by Apple. This will end the which is faster hardware debate. Also, tack on faster CPUs, buses, memory, firewire, etc and do some more cool DLDs like the iPod.

Software: This is where I see the biggest potential. Give us a version of Appleworks that can compete with Office and that reads and writes to Office formats. Give it out for free. Watch MS squirm as Apple pulls a MS tactic on them. Why would anyone buy Office for a hundreds when they can get something equal for free? Apple cannot get sued for monopoly practices because they are not a monopoly. MS loses, Apple wins.

Apple also needs to continue developing software solutions like iPhoto, iMovie, and iDVD. Have the low end programs bundled with the computer and have high end programs available for the professional. I'm looking forward to what they will do with Emagic and the music end, and the browser end. How about developing a web development tool, dtp, and paint program to end their dependence on Adobe? Also they need their own games development or at least partnerships to bring all the best games to the Mac at the same time as PCs and consoles.

Apple also needs to give us a great programming environment, database product, and an open source accounting program so programmers can modify it for various businesses.

Bottom line: I think Apple's biggest potential and needs are not hardware but software. If one could buy an Apple with all this cool software, it would be cheaper than buying a PC and having to buy extra software and the hassle of installing it all.

One more thing, put the operating system in a ROM card so we have instant on. Heck, put the top 10 software programs on that ROM too so those programs have instant on. Imagine, turning on a Mac and one second later it is ready to go. Then pull up Apple's Photoshop program and it is ready in one second. Gee, I remeber my old Commodore 64. I turned it on and it was ready to use in a few seconds.

The good news is Apple seems to be doing some of this and I like what I see. None of these concepts are far fetched. We and Apple can focus on the CPU front and miss the other possibilities. Think outside the box. Think differently. This is what I would do with Apple.

JSRockit
Jan 1, 2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by twillis
Everybody is so stuck in the box.

I am soooo not.

rice_web
Jan 1, 2003, 03:38 PM
During the first quarter of 2003, I think it's vital that we see either most of the following or announcements of equal weight:

iMac
- 17" LCD display moved to the middle of the iMac pack
- 867MHz & 1GHz Processors
- 133MHz System Bus
- Faster Optical Drives
- Larger Hard Drives
- Excellent Video Card (Radeon 9500 Pro?)

eMac
- 800MHz and 1GHz Processors
- 100MHz System Bus (to further differentiate the products)
- Larger Hard Drives
- Improved Video Card (Radeon 9000?)

Classic iMac
- 600MHz & 800MHz Sahara G3s
- 100MHz System Bus
- GeForce2MX
- Prices Starting At $499

PowerMac
- Up To 1.4GHz G4 Processors
- 200MHz System Bus
- Larger Or Same Cache Size
- Larger Hard Drives
- Radeon 9700 Pro

dglow
Jan 1, 2003, 05:05 PM
128MB RAM.
1.2 GHz Sahara G3.
USB, Firewire, Ethernet.
Price? $399.

Apple already made a computer with this form factor. Anyone remember?

They called it the Apple //c...

<g>

Recoil
Jan 6, 2003, 10:36 PM
I guess if apple does not hire me . No one will ever see my plan I would unleash to the world. Oh well I got my vapochill intel system :P