PDA

View Full Version : AC adaptor for ibook- compatible?

flyfish29
Nov 22, 2005, 09:43 AM
I have a new 12" iBook from this summer (and my wife has a white 14" ibook from a year+ ago) and we want to know if an A/C adaptor from an old orange clamshell ibook would work to recharge it or power it?

IF not, where is the chepest place to get an extra one so I don't have to lug the cord from my school to home each day?

thanks!

LimeiBook86
Nov 22, 2005, 01:29 PM
I have a new 12" iBook from this summer (and my wife has a white 14" ibook from a year+ ago) and we want to know if an A/C adaptor from an old orange clamshell ibook would work to recharge it or power it?

IF not, where is the chepest place to get an extra one so I don't have to lug the cord from my school to home each day?

thanks!
The Clamshell Yo-Yo style adapters DO NOT work on the 12" or 14" newer iBook models. You need an iBook "Dual-USB" power adapter. You can get them off eBay new, they are third party ones and cost only about $35 with shipping. Here's a link to the auction Apple iBook Dual-USB AC Adapter (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AC-Adapter-For-Apple-Ibook-12-inch-Dual-USB_W0QQitemZ6736312101QQcategoryZ11168QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) , asuming the older 14" model and the 12" model use the same power port (I bleive they do) you should be fine.

I have two of them, one for my Dad's G3 500mhz iBook and one for my 12" PowerBook G4 and they both work great. Unfortunetly these adapters aren't grounded so on the aluminum PowerBooks you might feel a little tingle or sensation, but on the iBooks they are fine, plus you can't beat the price.

Hope I was able to help :)

mkrishnan
Nov 22, 2005, 01:46 PM
Also note that there are two white square power adapters -- a 50W one and a 65W one. I'm not sure that all of the current notebooks can be powered by the 50W one, but I think they all come with 65W now. I am pretty sure that at least the two 12" notebooks can use 50W. The 14" iBook maybe too, but I'm not sure. I don't know what happens if you use the 50W unit on the big powerbooks.

LimeiBook86
Nov 22, 2005, 02:11 PM
Also note that there are two white square power adapters -- a 50W one and a 65W one. I'm not sure that all of the current notebooks can be powered by the 50W one, but I think they all come with 65W now. I am pretty sure that at least the two 12" notebooks can use 50W. The 14" iBook maybe too, but I'm not sure. I don't know what happens if you use the 50W unit on the big powerbooks.
Well I know if you used a 45w on a 15" or 17" PowerBook it would power the machine but, it won't charge the battery. But, if you used the 45w adapter on the 12" PowerBook it will charge the battery and run at the same time.

I have two of these adapters at home, I'll look and see how many watts they are when I get home :)

flyfish29
Nov 22, 2005, 02:51 PM
thanks for your help so far-

I will get all the adaptors and check the specks- I guess I was too lazy to do so myself- will let you know what I find out on the adaptors.

thanks again!

flyfish29
Nov 28, 2005, 05:17 PM
So I checked and both newer iBooks have the exact same adaptor. This is helpful so that only one of us has to bring home a cord, but would like to find one that is cheap to leave at home so we don't have to travel with cords most of the time.

I will check out eBay but if anyone else has ideas let me know.

thanks

Will Cheyney
Nov 28, 2005, 05:20 PM
The 'yo-yo' adaptors wont work?
I have one that I use as a secondary adaptor and it works just fine with both my PowerBook G4 and my girlfriends iBook G4.

flyfish29
Nov 28, 2005, 05:30 PM
The 'yo-yo' adaptors wont work?
I have one that I use as a secondary adaptor and it works just fine with both my PowerBook G4 and my girlfriends iBook G4.

Will, are you stalkin' me?:D

So you have a yo yo that works fine- does it charge too? I might give it a try...

I have two of them, one for my Dad's G3 500mhz iBook and one for my 12" PowerBook G4 and they both work great. Unfortunetly these adapters aren't grounded so on the aluminum PowerBooks you might feel a little tingle or sensation, but on the iBooks they are fine, plus you can't beat the price.

Does not being grounded make it a safety issue(for me or the laptop)?

I am all for things on the cheap, but if I endanger myself or worse yet, my Mac then I will pay the cashola~

Will Cheyney
Nov 28, 2005, 05:44 PM
Haha! I can't help myself...!

The adaptor powers/charges both perfectly. When my girlfriend brings here laptop round, it's what she uses to charge her iBook up!

mkrishnan
Nov 28, 2005, 06:39 PM
Will, are you stalkin' me?:D

Yo, yo, the adaptors don't work!? *struts*

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought this was the beginning of an Eminem song. :eek: :o

I don't think the grounding is an issue...even the white square adapters do not have a ground if you use the snap-out plug. In fact...I haven't used my extension cable ever, basically, but IIRC it doesn't have a third prong either.

frojas
Nov 28, 2005, 07:05 PM
There were two versions of the Yo-Yo adapter. One came with the clam shell ibooks. The other came out later on (with the first titanium powerbooks I think). The yo-yo adapter for the titanium powerbooks should work with the newer laptops.