PDA

View Full Version : Apple Sourcing Components for 17-Watt Power Supply, Speculation Focuses on Rumored 13-Inch iPad

MacRumors
Sep 4, 2013, 11:34 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/04/apple-sourcing-components-for-17-watt-power-supply-speculation-focuses-on-rumored-13-inch-ipad/)

Apple is developing a 17-watt power adapter for an unknown product, reports AppleInsider (http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/04/apple-working-on-mystery-product-that-may-ship-with-new-17w-power-supply). At 17 watts, the adapter uses slightly more power than the current iPad (12 watts) but significantly less than the MacBook Air (45 watts). It also uses more power than the iPhone or the Apple TV, which ship with 5-watt and 6-watt adapters, respectively.People familiar with the matter say Apple just recently began the process of procuring low-cost components for the new 17-watt adapter. And while the exact nature of its parent product remains somewhat of an unknown, at least one person familiar with adapter's design believes existing evidence points to be a portable product which could launch within the next 12 months.

It's also said that the new 17-watt adapter is not intended as an upgrade to an existing Apple product line, such as the anticipated fifth-generation iPad. That device is instead expected to ship with the same 12-watt adapter.Though a 17-watt adapter could presumably be used for any number of Apple products including the existing iPad, its minor increase in wattage could hint at a larger iPad. With a 5-watt adapter for the iPhone and a 12-watt adapter for the 9.7-inch iPad, 17 watts is at the right size to power a potential (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/09/size-comparison-of-a-12-9-inch-ipad-with-smaller-ipad-models-and-13-inch-macbook-air/) 13-inch iPad.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/08/12_9_ipad_ipad_4_mini_light-800x450.jpgConcept rendering (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/09/size-comparison-of-a-12-9-inch-ipad-with-smaller-ipad-models-and-13-inch-macbook-air/) of the 13-inch iPad
News of a larger "iPad Maxi" first surfaced (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/28/sketchy-rumor-claims-apple-launching-12-9-inch-ipad-maxi-in-early-2014-to-target-ultrabooks/) in May, and was followed up by a report (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/22/apple-testing-screens-for-a-larger-iphone-and-a-13-inch-ipad/) from The Wall Street Journal suggesting Apple and its suppliers were testing larger screens for both the iPad and the iPhone. The larger iPad reportedly measures slightly less than 13 inches diagonally.

The iPads in question were prototypes, however, and Apple produces and tests a wide range of products that never make it to market. It is unclear if the company will release a larger iPad to the public, but such an iPad would be similar in size to a MacBook Air.

There is no indication that Apple has plans to release a 13-inch iPad in the near future, but the company is gearing up to launch both a Retina iPad mini and a fifth-generation iPad with slimmer bevels and a thinner design later this year (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/12/apple-to-release-thinner-fifth-generation-ipad-and-retina-ipad-mini-in-last-three-months-of-2013/).

Article Link: Apple Sourcing Components for 17-Watt Power Supply, Speculation Focuses on Rumored 13-Inch iPad (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/04/apple-sourcing-components-for-17-watt-power-supply-speculation-focuses-on-rumored-13-inch-ipad/)

Sky Blue
Sep 4, 2013, 11:36 AM
Maxi Pad

lol

DaveN
Sep 4, 2013, 11:36 AM
So much computing power for so little electrical power...

campingsk8er
Sep 4, 2013, 11:38 AM
I feel that the reason for a so called 13-inch iPad would be for those people who truly want to drop a laptop altogether and just have an iPad or other tablet, but don't want to sacrifice screen size.

cube
I guess 28nm will do, given that it's not obvious 20nm would be better.

But it should have a new version of Lightning with quality video out.

powerslave12r
Speculation of a direct corelation between screen size and power draw makes very little sense.

Although the 13" rumor could be true, in all likelihood the adaptor has been beefed up to perhaps decrease charging times on the newer ipads (including the fabled ipad mini retina).

Northgrove
Sep 4, 2013, 11:40 AM
Can't wait to shoot with that one on a concert.

the411
the twist is that the 13 inch iPad will run OS X.

cube
I feel that the reason for a so called 13-inch iPad would be for those people who truly want to drop a laptop altogether and just have an iPad or other tablet, but don't want to sacrifice screen size.

Wrong.

musika
Sep 4, 2013, 11:43 AM
This could be huge for music production and probably many other arts.

No pun intended.

olowott
Sep 4, 2013, 11:45 AM
seems very useful from what i have read a while back with photographers etc

will have this under watch

TheKrs1
Sep 4, 2013, 11:46 AM
Am I the only one that thinks this might just be in an effort to decrease charging times?

cube
Sep 4, 2013, 11:47 AM
The main reason for this to exist is to read PDFs.

CodexMonkey
Sep 4, 2013, 11:49 AM
Im really looking forward to the much-rumoured larger iPad from Apple.

Id like it to be approximately 50" in diagonal width and come with a stand so that I could sit it in the corner of my living room, plug it into the wall and watch TV/movies or play games on it.

And if they could maybe create some kind of wristwear that I could control it with that would be even better.

BC2009
Sep 4, 2013, 11:53 AM
Maxi Pad

lol

Seriously.... anybody who thinks that Apple marketing folks would name it the "iPad Maxi" is delusional. It should be dubbed the "iPad Mega" or "iPad XL".

----------

The main reason for this to exist is to read PDFs.

Artists and those working on movie editing are going to want a larger iPad. Not so much for PDFs (though it would be great for reading magazines).

----------

Id like it to be approximately 50" in diagonal width and come with a stand so that I could sit it in the corner of my living room, plug it into the wall and watch TV/movies or play games on it.

And if they could maybe create some kind of wristwear that I could control it with that would be even better.

I see what you did there.

cube
Sep 4, 2013, 11:54 AM
Artists and those working on movie editing are going to want a larger iPad. Not so much for PDFs (though it would be great for reading magazines).

Yes, but there are more people reading PDFs.

DotCom2
Sep 4, 2013, 12:04 PM
OMG! Yes Apple, PLEASE?

newdeal
Sep 4, 2013, 12:06 PM
I wouldnt mind an ipad of the same dimensions as the existing one but with a thin bezel all around to make the screen larger

Shaun, UK
Sep 4, 2013, 12:07 PM
I would definitely buy a 13" iPad if they made one. Hopefully that's one of their 2014 launch products. Maybe in March/April like they did with the first iPad.

ValSalva
Sep 4, 2013, 12:07 PM
I'd be surprised to see a 13" iPad. I'm sure there are a lot of good use cases as stated above. But the same thing can be said for the 17" MacBook Pro.

IMO a 13" iPad would be a low selling niche item for geeks and vertical markets.

chrmjenkins
Sep 4, 2013, 12:08 PM
I guess 28nm will do, given that it's not obvious 20nm would be better.

But it should have a new version of Lightning with quality video out.

20nm won't be ready until 2014.

17W makes sense. USB 2.0/3.0 spec limit max charging current to 5A. Battery at 3.8V gives you 19W.

Shaun, UK
Sep 4, 2013, 12:11 PM

Why would they do that? They are moving away from OSX towards iOS as their primary OS. Just look how many more apps there are for iOS. Putting OSX on the iPad would just confuse everyone like Microsoft did with the Surface. Keep it simple. iOS on iPad and OSX on Mac.

mcalict
Sep 4, 2013, 12:13 PM
Seriously.... anybody who thinks that Apple marketing folks would name it the "iPad Maxi" is delusional. It should be dubbed the "iPad Mega" or "iPad XL".[COLOR="#808080"]

No, iPad Pro.

tommyminahan
Sep 4, 2013, 12:13 PM
At 17 watts, the adapter uses slightly more power than the current iPad (12 watts) but significantly less than the MacBook Air (45 watts). It also uses more power than the iPhone or the Apple TV, which ship with 5-watt and 6-watt adapters, respectively.

AppleTV's ship with power adapters now?

Go home MacRumors, you are drunk.

chrmjenkins
Sep 4, 2013, 12:14 PM

The cord is still a power adapter with a current/power rating, even if the PSU is internal.

gnasher729
Sep 4, 2013, 12:17 PM
I'd be surprised to see a 13" iPad. I'm sure there are a lot of good use cases as stated above. But the same thing can be said for the 17" MacBook Pro.

IMO a 13" iPad would be a low selling niche item for geeks and vertical markets.

Selling a million iPads to people who otherwise wouldn't buy one seems a good idea to me. 13" is useful to many people (I would personally prefer it to 10"), and it would open a lot of possibilities for using them as intelligent displays in stores.

tommyminahan
Sep 4, 2013, 12:17 PM
The cord is still a power adapter with a current/power rating, even if the PSU is internal.

the cord is a cable. not an "adapter".

the power supply on an AppleTV is internal. not a separately shipping adapter.

stevemiller
Sep 4, 2013, 12:20 PM
I just caved and bought an intuos5 on sale. So the 13" iPad will definitely natively support a pressure sensitive drawing stylus, because that's Murphy's law. :/

foobarbaz
Sep 4, 2013, 12:21 PM
17W makes sense. USB 2.0/3.0 spec limit max charging current to 5A. Battery at 3.8V gives you 19W.

You know you can't just multiply any two numbers to make up an argument.

unplugme71
Sep 4, 2013, 12:22 PM
Maxi Pad

lol

Exactly. Sometimes I wonder where these names come from

I'm leaning more towards iPad Pro at the very least.

iLilana
Sep 4, 2013, 12:23 PM
I would definitely us a 13 inch retina iPad

chrmjenkins
Sep 4, 2013, 12:24 PM
the cord is a cable. not an "adapter".

the power supply on an AppleTV is internal. not a separately shipping adapter.

You're arguing semantics and then repeating what I said. Yes, what they said is technically incorrect, but they still got the number right.

You know you can't just multiply any two numbers to make up an argument.

Voltage times current gives wattage. The USB spec has a maximum rated amperage that Apple would not likely exceed. The battery is known to be 3.7V/3.8V in Apple iDevices. The 17W doesn't exceed that theoretical 19W maximum, making it plausible. Not sure what else I can tell you or explain.

unplugme71
Sep 4, 2013, 12:24 PM

Last I checked a cord is a cord. Ability to transmit power from one end to another.

blackcrayon
Sep 4, 2013, 12:25 PM
9" MacBook Helium

iLilana
Sep 4, 2013, 12:28 PM

Touch screen real estate is key. If they just threw some gorilla glass or whatever tech used for iPads onto the 15 inch MBP I would be happy.

ValSalva
Sep 4, 2013, 12:29 PM
Selling a million iPads to people who otherwise wouldn't buy one seems a good idea to me. 13" is useful to many people (I would personally prefer it to 10"), and it would open a lot of possibilities for using them as intelligent displays in stores.

That is a good idea. You really think Apple would sell that many? These are going to be pricey. They are going to be retina. And they are going to be big and heavy compared to the 9.7 and 7.9 inch ones.

I just think with Apple selling tons of inexpensive (relatively) 7.9" iPads that this is what the market wants. But if Apple is making a new low volume Mac Pro then anything is possible these days. Pros can't say they are being abandoned. that's for sure.

chrmjenkins
Sep 4, 2013, 12:30 PM
Last I checked a cord is a cord. Ability to transmit power from one end to another.

So you can plug the appleTV power cord into any other apple device that doesn't have a power brick? They're still unique and have ratings. Just not the number you'd use in this case. I don't like adapter because it's an imprecise term in this case, but it really belabors the point.

Twimfy
Sep 4, 2013, 12:33 PM
Still waiting on the iWall so I can build an iHouse.

DJJAZZYJET
Sep 4, 2013, 12:35 PM
17 watts would just make it charge faster, considering the battery is so hefty to power the quad core graphics.

tommyminahan
Sep 4, 2013, 12:37 PM
So you can plug the appleTV power cord into any other apple device that doesn't have a power brick? They're still unique and have ratings. Just not the number you'd use in this case. I don't like adapter because it's an imprecise term in this case, but it really belabors the point.

actually yes you can.
i can take the cord from my Apple TV, and use it with my airport.. or i can take the cord from my bluray player, and use it on the Apple TV.. its just an AC cable.
Products like the AppleTV, Airport, and even my blue ray player all have internal power supplies..

products like MacBooks, iPads, and iPhones, have an external power supply, which is referred to in the industry as a power adapter. it adapts AC current to DC current.

no one in there right mind would ever call the AC cable on an apple TV a "power adapter".

chrmjenkins
Sep 4, 2013, 12:41 PM
actually yes you can.
i can take the cord from my Apple TV, and use it with my airport.. or i can take the cord from my bluray player, and use it on the Apple TV.. its just an AC cable.
Products like the AppleTV, Airport, and even my blue ray player all have internal power supplies..

And I guarantee you they would use that as an excuse to void the warranty if they could. Even though an iPad adapter also works for an iPhone and vice versa, it's still technically warranty voiding use of the product. Apple quickly blamed a third party power adapter in the iPhone electrocution case. We may not care about pin/plug compatibility, but they do, and that's why everything has a rating, even a cable.

products like MacBooks, iPads, and iPhones, have an external power supply, which is referred to in the industry as a power adapter. it adapts AC current to DC current.

no one in there right mind would ever call the AC cable on an apple TV a "power adapter".

And signal adapters/dongles are a mixture of passive and active, almost always never have an external power plug but sometimes do, and are always referred to as adapters. That's why I think the term is imprecise and don't like it.

tommyminahan
Sep 4, 2013, 12:48 PM
And I guarantee you they would use that as an excuse to void the warranty if they could. Even though an iPad adapter also works for an iPhone and vice versa, it's still technically warranty voiding use of the product. Apple quickly blamed a third party power adapter in the iPhone electrocution case. We may not care about pin/plug compatibility, but they do, and that's why everything has a rating, even a cable.

really? void the warranty you say? please see this page: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD836LL/A/apple-12w-usb-power-adapter?fnode=3c

and notice the 12w adapter is compatible with all models of iPhones and iPods.

ctdonath
Sep 4, 2013, 12:48 PM
in all likelihood the adaptor has been beefed up to perhaps decrease charging times on the newer ipads

iPad 1: 10W PS.
iPad 4: 12W PS.

Between higher capacity and faster charging, 17W is quite sensible without making the device larger.

...though if there is a 13" iPad coming, it would need a larger supply (and 17W could work well).

SpinThis!
Sep 4, 2013, 12:49 PM
seems very useful from what i have read a while back with photographers etc

will have this under watch
Yes, and designers. And anyone who shows client work. The bigger the better in this case.

Panasonic actually has a 20" 4k tablet (http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=11301&itemId=693009) which is 3840 x 2560 pixels. Now that would be a MaxiPad.

chrmjenkins
Sep 4, 2013, 12:51 PM
really? void the warranty you say? please see this page: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD836LL/A/apple-12w-usb-power-adapter?fnode=3c

and notice the 12w adapter is compatible with all models of iPhones and iPods.

Notice it doesn't go the other way though - the 5W adapter is not listed as compatible with the iPad, even though it can still charge it, albeit at a slower rate. Thanks for the correction on 12W adapter though.

autrefois
Sep 4, 2013, 12:51 PM
Apple just recently began the process of procuring low-cost components for the new 17-watt adapter. And while the exact nature of its parent product remains somewhat of an unknown, at least one person familiar with adapter's design believes existing evidence points to be a portable product which could launch within the next 12 months.

It's also said that the new 17-watt adapter is not intended as an upgrade to an existing Apple product line

I think it's obvious what it's for. The iWatch: the most powerful watch on the planet.

They never fixed the battery issues (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/04/apples-iwatch-said-to-run-full-ios-but-battery-life-an-issue-in-prototypes/) in their prototypes. We now know that it's because the iWatch uses over three times the watts as an iPhone does. Try fitting a battery that supports that kind of wattage into the form factor of a watch!

Radio
Sep 4, 2013, 12:55 PM
Amazing !

tommyminahan
Sep 4, 2013, 01:01 PM
Notice it doesn't go the other way though - the 5W adapter is not listed as compatible with the iPad, even though it can still charge it, albeit at a slower rate. Thanks for the correction on 12W adapter though.

The same goes for MacBooks.. i can charge my air using an 85w MBP supply if i wanted to..

I'm still trying to re-iterate the point of AC cables vs. DC adapters.
an AC cable is rated based the AC in your country. so yes, they do have ratings.. if i tried to plug my bluray player into an AC outlet in england, i would fry it..
but if the AC cable was designed for use in the US, its made for 110-120v.. so for the most part, trying not to get to technical, i could use the same cable on any of my home consumer electronics and it would work just fine.

now, yes, we can get to semantics and say, if i have a high wattage amplifier that draws 6amps, then, maybe i should stick with the 10amp rated power cable that came with that, and not use the 2.5amp one that came with my Apple TV..

and in the same way as using a larger power adapter on an iPhone, if i just went out and bought a 15amp rated power cable, then i could use it for anything in my house and never worry about it..

yes, there are "ratings" on everything, but the original point i was making was that macrumors was saying the Apple TV comes with a power adapter, when, in fact, it does not.

troop231
Sep 4, 2013, 01:04 PM

Quick! Let's patent this amazing ability.

cclloyd
Sep 4, 2013, 01:05 PM
Bathroom selfies here I come!

chrmjenkins
Sep 4, 2013, 01:07 PM
The same goes for MacBooks.. i can charge my air using an 85w MBP supply if i wanted to..

I'm still trying to re-iterate the point of AC cables vs. DC adapters.
an AC cable is rated based the AC in your country. so yes, they do have ratings.. if i tried to plug my bluray player into an AC outlet in england, i would fry it..
but if the AC cable was designed for use in the US, its made for 110-120v.. so for the most part, trying not to get to technical, i could use the same cable on any of my home consumer electronics and it would work just fine.

now, yes, we can get to semantics and say, if i have a high wattage amplifier that draws 6amps, then, maybe i should stick with the 10amp rated power cable that came with that, and not use the 2.5amp one that came with my Apple TV..

and in the same way as using a larger power adapter on an iPhone, if i just went out and bought a 15amp rated power cable, then i could use it for anything in my house and never worry about it..

yes, there are "ratings" on everything, but the original point i was making was that macrumors was saying the Apple TV comes with a power adapter, when, in fact, it does not.

I agree with you, but my main point was to say that pointing out the misuse of the term is being pedantic, as it is often misused commonly (case in point here). That's why I always use brick to avoid confusion.

To play devil's advocate -- Apple could easily place the PSU inside the AppleTV or airport products outside the device, and it magically becomes an adapter as opposed to a PSU, when it performs the same function (adapting 120V AC to 5V DC). So, it's not even technically wrong to call the internal PSU an adapter either. It's all terminology/semantics. Like I said, important part is they go the number right to begin with.

atteligibility
Sep 4, 2013, 01:09 PM
So... let's see:

- iPad charger: 12W
- iPhone charger: 5W
- new charger: 17W

Lot people own both an iPhone and iPad and recharge them at night, using two different adapters....

mmmm, and the conclusion from a 17W charger is a gigantic non portable iPad? haha...

common sense, logic and arithmetic gives us a much better explanation..

JohnGrey
Sep 4, 2013, 01:10 PM
I love the idea of the 13-inch iPad in the abstract, but I doubt I'd love the execution. Honestly, Wacom has ruined me regarding what I need in that kind of form factor with the Companion, the millstone of Windows 8 notwithstanding. Yes, it's rated for a 6 hour battery, but I'll deal with that for tilt-recognition, 2048 levels of pen sensitivity, 8GB of memory, 512GB of storage and a Core i7 processor.

AutoUnion39
Sep 4, 2013, 01:34 PM
If they bring out the 13inch tablet, they need to drop their prices across the lineup. The 13inch should be as much as the regular iPad is now.

unplugme71
Sep 4, 2013, 01:40 PM
Quick! Let's patent this amazing ability.

Already did.

It uses copper and a rubber insulation.

JohnGrey
Sep 4, 2013, 01:44 PM
If they bring out the 13inch tablet, they need to drop their prices across the lineup. The 13inch should be as much as the regular iPad is now.

Assuming they used the same panel as the 13-inch rMBP, there's no chance of that happening. Base price on something like that, assuming no extras like a pen-sensitive digitizer, is going to be $699 minimum and that's if the base model is 16GB.

baryon
Sep 4, 2013, 02:01 PM
It should be called "Big ass iPad".

I do find it a bit strange to imagine such a big iPad, since holding the current normal sized version is just about right, and the iPad Mini feels even better in your hand. I'd think 13 inches is a bit too much, and I'm not sure what benefit it would offer. Of course, Apple does say that iPads will replace computers for most people, but then computers always had larger screens, so it would make some sense to have bigger iPads too

But then this would be more like a "Desktop" iPad or something, lol.

peb123
Sep 4, 2013, 02:11 PM
5 + 12 = 17 .... So maybe this is a dual-charger that will charge your pad and phone at the same time?

thasan
Sep 4, 2013, 02:38 PM

can be family device to play on a single screen. or a better drawing board... :D
if i had kids, i would buy one for home

HiRez
Sep 4, 2013, 02:42 PM
This could be huge for music production and probably many other arts.

That's what I'm thinking. Not so much as a mass consumer device where everyone is getting one for christmas and will carry it around with them, but as a generic control surface for all kinds of things. As you say, music production, but also for cash registers, airport checkin, directory information, building guides/floorplans, security systems, home automation, virtual receptionist station, all kinds of kiosks, and many other things. There's a ton of uses developers and businesses could put these to. but it's a lot of niche markets, really. The question is, is the market for all those niches together enough for Apple to bother?

paulrbeers
Sep 4, 2013, 02:53 PM
20nm won't be ready until 2014.

No. The USB3.0 spec calls for ports to be CAPABLE of 5A, but limit the specs to 1.5A out of any given port when in "charging" mode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_3.0

Further, the voltage of the battery has nothing to do with the voltage required to charge. The charging voltage is actually 5volts. The reason the battery is rated for 3.7v is Lithium Ion cells are 3.7v. If you used 2, it would be 7.2-7.4v thus delivering too much voltage.

Your reasoning is flawed.

mdelvecchio
Sep 4, 2013, 03:05 PM
Maxi Pad

lol

so original. so funny. never gets old. doesnt sound like a teenaged boy joke.

not.

Sky Blue
Sep 4, 2013, 03:12 PM
so original. so funny.

Thanks!

chrmjenkins
Sep 4, 2013, 03:18 PM
No. The USB3.0 spec calls for ports to be CAPABLE of 5A, but limit the specs to 1.5A out of any given port when in "charging" mode.

And that's where the maximum rating would come from. The port's capability, and not necessarily real world scenarios.

Further, the voltage of the battery has nothing to do with the voltage required to charge.

This statement doesn't make any sense. You have to exceed the voltage of the battery to be able to charge it. So, yes, the voltage of the battery has very much to do with the charging voltage.

The numbers I provided were a worst case impossible scenario where the battery was using all the power delivered to it (the wall is essentially directly powering the device at 3.8V). I didn't feel the need to use the 5V (actual charging voltage) because 25W is an even more ridiculous number that is in no way realistic. You pointed out that the 1.5A is the maximum charging voltage, but being able to peak at 5A is what matters since wattage is an instantaneous measurement, and not time dependent like energy.

For example, if you used the max 1.5A charging rate at the full 5V, you're still at only 7.5W, less than half of the 17W rating.

The charging voltage is actually 5volts. The reason the battery is rated for 3.7v is Lithium Ion cells are 3.7v. If you used 2, it would be 7.2-7.4v thus delivering too much voltage.

That's if you connect the cells in series like a car battery. Cells are more often connected in parallel for consumer electronics devices. For instance, the original ipad had a 2 cell battery (http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/04/ipad-disassembled.html)

edit: found a good picture of the 12W:

http://image.dhgate.com/albu_279338650_00-1.0x0/new-12w-2-4a-usb-power-wall-charger-adapter.jpg

They claim 5.2V output at 2.4A peak current. That gets you to 12.48W. Similarly, 17W gets you 3.27A at 5.2V.

MartiNZ
Sep 4, 2013, 03:26 PM

Mmm twist. If they just let it double as a touchscreen that airplays -from- the new Mac Pro, mmm the potential.

Sardonick007
Sep 4, 2013, 03:37 PM
I was going to refrain, but I couldn't resist. They really typed iPad Maxi with straight faces? I guess the iPad Maxi with wings will be next.

CausticPuppy
Sep 4, 2013, 03:43 PM
It could just be a new charger for regular 9.7" iPad models so that they don't take an entire night to charge.

macnisse
Sep 4, 2013, 04:01 PM

Now we're talking, that would be a great twist! :-D

ArtOfWarfare
Sep 4, 2013, 04:14 PM
Personally, I don't expect Apple to call a new size of iPad an iPad anything. I expect Apple to stop calling the entire iPad line by anything. Just like their computer lines, you'll just get an iPad with certain specs.

Your options are 9", 11", and 13" for screen size, 32, 64, or 128 GB, Wi-Fi+Cellular or Wi-Fi only, white or black, and retina only (the iPad Mini will be receiving retina and I see no reason Apple wouldn't skip to retina with the 13", given they already have retina laptops at 13"). All together, 36 different possible configurations (assuming all the cellular models can be combined and they don't need different models for different cellular networks.)

weing
Sep 4, 2013, 05:41 PM
The 17 watt is likely an upgrade for the next generation iPad not a new 13-inch model. The 12 watt adapter is a JOKE for the current iPad with it taking on average 6-8 hours to charge your device from zero. Even USB buss charging from your MBP is twice as fast.

Renzatic
Sep 4, 2013, 05:51 PM
Seriously.... anybody who thinks that Apple marketing folks would name it the "iPad Maxi" is delusional. It should be dubbed the "iPad Mega" or "iPad XL".

If it comes out, my money is on iPad Pro.

...and it better have a damn stylus digitizer on it. :mad:

chrmjenkins
Sep 4, 2013, 05:56 PM
The 17 watt is likely an upgrade for the next generation iPad not a new 13-inch model. The 12 watt adapter is a JOKE for the current iPad with it taking on average 6-8 hours to charge your device from zero. Even USB buss charging from your MBP is twice as fast.

It's possible it could be both (iPad and iLegalPad go to 17W adapters), but I agree a 13" seems unlikely.

Mindcrime
Sep 4, 2013, 06:09 PM
I can't imagine there will be a 13" iPad.

I deal with 13" tablets at my job and they're unwieldy, heavy and uncomfortable. It would seem like a step back for Apple to go this route.

Tiger8
Sep 4, 2013, 06:21 PM
Can't wait to shoot with that one on a concert.

LMAO :D

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Ipad.+True+words+have+never+been+spoken_446b54_3456299.jpg

Pigumon
Sep 4, 2013, 06:38 PM

And come with a flip down keyboard and be called the MACBOOK AIR.

Mums
Sep 4, 2013, 06:57 PM
I saw 17 and my heart started racing - i thought they were bringing back my beloved 17" MacBook Pro.

Stack Overflow
Sep 4, 2013, 07:06 PM
Speculation of a direct corelation between screen size and power draw makes very little sense.

Although the 13" rumor could be true, in all likelihood the adaptor has been beefed up to perhaps decrease charging times on the newer ipads (including the fabled ipad mini retina).
The correlation is between battery size and power draw. The secondary correlation is between screen size and battery size. Combine them and you have a correlation (though not as direct) between power draw and screen size.

The catch here is that the single most important predictor in general power requirements of all iOS devices is the screen (primarily size, secondarily resolution).

To say it makes "very little sense" is extremely ignorant, as, of all possible things to speculate on, it's the single most logical aspect of an iOS device to consider.

----------

Yes, and it's internal.

Sodner
Sep 4, 2013, 07:12 PM
Not many Apple products are of NO interest to me, but an iPad of that size would be one.

chrmjenkins
Sep 4, 2013, 07:15 PM
The correlation is between battery size and power draw. The secondary correlation is between screen size and battery size. Combine them and you have a correlation (though not as direct) between power draw and screen size.

The catch here is that the single most important predictor in general power requirements of all iOS devices is the screen (primarily size, secondarily resolution).

To say it makes "very little sense" is extremely ignorant, as, of all possible things to speculate on, it's the single most logical aspect of an iOS device to consider.

Extremely well informed perspective. Although charge rate is still a valued concern when it comes to these devices, complicating it a bit.

gnasher729
Sep 4, 2013, 07:15 PM

It isn't listed as compatible because if it was, people would complain that it charges so slowly. But that's why you have standards - there is a USB standard for chargers, and any charger that conforms with the USB standard will charge any device that can be charged through USB. Eventually.

The problem wasn't that it was a third party adapter. There are plenty of good quality third party adapters. The problem was that it was a badly built adapter. A power adapter is plugged into 220 Volt, so it's obvious that a badly designed, badly built, or damaged power adapter could kill you. I didn't actually see Apple blaming anywhere, but whoever examined the circumstances of the death looked at the adapter and spotted that it wasn't an original Apple adapter.

Using a correctly working power adapter doesn't void the warranty. If a correctly working power adapter that conforms to the USB standard damaged your iDevice, then that would be Apple's fault (note the "correctly working").

Stack Overflow
Sep 4, 2013, 07:24 PM

That's because the rate is so incredibly slow that Apple doesn't want people to even try it, simply to both avoid complaints and to avoid presenting a bad experience to the user (two sides of the same coin).

Stack Overflow
Sep 4, 2013, 07:38 PM
Extremely well informed perspective. Although charge rate is still a valued concern when it comes to these devices, complicating it a bit.

That's correct, but the current charge rates are generally considered quite adequate, so it's presently a second order variable compared with the screen.

There are also two issues (maybe three) that actually provide downward pressure on the rate of power provided by the power supplies.

They are:

Adaptor size.
Battery capacity.
(possibly) Safety concerns.

Adaptor size should be self-explanatory, but Apple does like to make things less annoying to the user, and bulky adaptors are more annoying.

Battery capacity is something that not everyone is aware of, but there's a well-studied dynamic where the faster you charge a Lithium-based batteries, the more it is damaged, leading to decreased battery longevity. I recall that the basic tradeoff occurs around 1-2 hours for a full charge (so, whatever the watt-hour the battery has, charging it beyond 0.5-1.0 of that wattage will begin to significantly adversely affect the battery itself).

Currently, the iPad is at almost exactly 0.5, which is perfect for preserving the battery, while still maintaining a healthy battery for a reasonable lifespan.

Going from 12W to 17W is still within that range, but I'm not sure that that's something Apple wants to cross into without some other reason. Specifically, a larger battery. But that's really just speculation. It could even be simply to make a charger that can charge and power the iPad at the same time.

But, historically, the charger has scaled in power with relation to the size of the battery.

And safety concerns is something I'm not very certain of, but heat and current are two factors to consider, though at 5V, I don't think current matters much.

Ryth
Sep 4, 2013, 09:00 PM
13" becomes the 'work' iPad and also Artist tablet
10" becomes the 'home' iPad and consumption device
7" becomes the 'mobile' iPad for everyday commuters.

----------

Could also possibly be the remote for the Apple TV.

old-wiz
Sep 4, 2013, 09:12 PM
Maxi Pad

lol

groan...

diamornte
Sep 4, 2013, 11:47 PM
YES PL0X!:eek:

Radiating
Sep 4, 2013, 11:55 PM

Please let this be true.

Ryth
Sep 5, 2013, 12:06 AM

Very possible. I've said it for a few years that the natural progression is a 13" that is a combo iOS/OSX.

DShap5
Sep 5, 2013, 12:56 AM
Gosh.... if this comes true it would have to be mega-oriented to business. Nobody is gonna want to lug this thing around for angry-birds.

Deelron
Sep 5, 2013, 01:12 AM
That's because the rate is so incredibly slow that Apple doesn't want people to even try it, simply to both avoid complaints and to avoid presenting a bad experience to the user (two sides of the same coin).

No kidding, even using the 10W adapter from the iPad 1 to charge a current iPad is noticeable.

BC2009
Sep 5, 2013, 01:47 AM
No, iPad Pro.

I forgot this one. I think I actually suggested that about a month ago. Either way, definitely not "Maxi". iPad Pro would be perfect.

Poke4Fun
Sep 5, 2013, 03:19 AM
oh wow.. that's huge. i don't think i will like a 13 inch iPad. it might be ideal for designers, though.

ownamac
Sep 5, 2013, 03:35 AM
I would enjoy using a 13" iPad as a second monitor to my MacBook Pro 13 (via Air Display app).

gnasher729
Sep 5, 2013, 04:07 AM
Very possible. I've said it for a few years that the natural progression is a 13" that is a combo iOS/OSX.

Microsoft believed you and created Windows 8. And what a failure that was.

NewbieCanada
Sep 5, 2013, 05:46 AM

Wait a second how about something more portable, so others could use it. Maybe a 4-inch screen. And with a built-in phone.

Within 6 months of buying one, 13 iPad owners would look like this:

NewbieCanada
Sep 5, 2013, 06:00 AM
But if Apple is making a new low volume Mac Pro then anything is possible these days. Pros can't say they are being abandoned. that's for sure.

Big difference. The Mac Pro is an existing niche product in an established line. And no one pays attention to it, especially to its sales figures. But if it didnt already exist there isnt a chance in hell theyd introduce it.

A new and unsuccessful addition to the iPad line would be a PR disaster for the company.

Smartass
Sep 5, 2013, 06:21 AM

and do what on it? play angry birds and check facebook on it all day long?
You people need to start realizing that iPad is FAR FAR away from replacing notebooks or computers. Yes, its great for watching videos and its fun to play those little basic games on it, and maybe read a book once in a while, but when it comes to a liiiittlle more serious work, it fails completely.

Harrycooke
Sep 5, 2013, 06:47 AM
More importantly, will it come in champagne?

jclardy
Sep 5, 2013, 08:47 AM
The main question is whether they increase screen real estate. I feel like they have to. Otherwise apps will operate in the exact same way as they do on the 9.7" iPad (Which is not bad, for the 9.7" iPad.) On a 13" I think you would feel a bit constrained with the current setup.

Gjwilly
Sep 5, 2013, 08:55 AM
A 13" is coming and yes, this is the new power supply for it.
No, it won't be an iPad.
Yes, it will be similar to the iPad in form but it won't be running iOS (as we now know it).
No, it won't be OS X either (as we now know it).
This is the next game changer from Apple that will essentially make the laptop a thing of the past.

kazmac
Sep 5, 2013, 09:38 AM
If this larger iPad becomes a reality, has a retina screen, long battery life and is not very heavy, perhaps I would consider it for creation content.

The more I think about it, the more it might work for me - it all depends on the above factors and the price. As it stands the regular iPad maxed out is close to the cost of an entry level MBA now so...

IJ Reilly
Sep 5, 2013, 12:25 PM

If the iPad requires a 10W charger (G3 and later), it won't charge with a 5W charger.

chrmjenkins
Sep 5, 2013, 12:39 PM
If the iPad requires a 10W charger (G3 and later), it won't charge with a 5W charger.

It isn't listed as compatible because if it was, people would complain that it charges so slowly. But that's why you have standards - there is a USB standard for chargers, and any charger that conforms with the USB standard will charge any device that can be charged through USB. Eventually.

You guys talk it out :)

powerslave12r
Sep 5, 2013, 01:03 PM

To say it makes "very little sense" is extremely ignorant, as, of all possible things to speculate on, it's the single most logical aspect of an iOS device to consider..

Ignorant is perhaps too strong a word. And perhaps 'very little sense' was too strong a statement. In either case, my point was that increase in the screen size doesn't seemlike the first logical speculation due to an increase in the power adaptor size, instead a larger battery/quicker charging time make more sense. A larger battery, obviously, would be in case of more power hungry components, one subset of which is screen size, the other being retina display.

If you have owned the retina ipad (I had the ipad3 and ipad2 both) you will know that the charger was barely sufficient to charge the retina ipad while being used. This sounds like a fix for more power hungry components.

So, to speculate about an increased screen size before all these other basic reasons 'makes very little sense.'

szw-mapple fan
Sep 6, 2013, 06:44 AM
I think iPad 5 will be the same size as all previous generations but with thinner bezels and a larger screen. That might be a way to distinguish it with the mini.

:D

jacg
Sep 6, 2013, 10:11 AM
Perhaps it's to charge the iWatch in the time it takes to shower?

Gjwilly
Sep 6, 2013, 06:05 PM
So, to speculate about an increased screen size before all these other basic reasons 'makes very little sense.'

Except, some of us are not "speculating".
:p

gnasher729
Sep 6, 2013, 07:51 PM

It wlll, just very slowly.

If you use the iPad heavily while charging (3D games, or playing video over WiFi), the iPad might even eat up more than 5W, so it won't charge at all - but at least the battery won't get empty.

toke lahti
Sep 7, 2013, 03:47 AM
Nope, the twist is that everybody who uses osX would like to have that, but Apple won't make it. OsX garden does not have high enough walls...

Anyway this revolutionary 17 W PSU maybe only means that next ipad has a bit better battery, that can live through applecare with over 50% capacity even with a bit faster charging.

toke lahti
Sep 7, 2013, 04:32 AM
Yes, and designers. And anyone who shows client work. The bigger the better in this case.

Panasonic actually has a 20" 4k tablet (http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=11301&itemId=693009) which is 3840 x 2560 pixels. Now that would be a MaxiPad.
We are reaching the price-technology level, when "electronic paper" is starting to be option also for those who draw, not only those who read. Sadly nobody can ask Jobs anymore, does he draw with fingerpaints. Still camera is more important for photographers than tablet. You can "develop" your photos woithout touchscreen, but you can't take those photos without camera. Anyway, I'd guess that in 2010 Photoshop is mainly used with pen and touchscreen and old drawing tablets are disappearing.

Btw, wacom made 21" cintic in 2005, but it didn't revolutionize how people make visual content. IIRC, they also had one bigger and even more expensive at that time. Or maybe it never got through pre-production. This new Panny has similiar feeling; with 1/10th of it's price it would make a huge impact.