Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knighthorus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
I am the one have iPhone 5 and I really love it, compare to my friend’s Galaxy S4…
iPhone 5, a device in its simplicity but also very swift and light on its feet, while the Galaxy S4, which with a bigger screen and a steady barrage of features.
I purchased iPhone5 because of its design. The polished chamfered edges, precision- cut speakers and even the button feel are all pretty much perfect. It is also easy to use with one hand, whereas the Galaxy S4 can be a stretch to reach across the screen with your thumb.

I appreciate the removable back cover on the Galaxy S4 and how light it is given its large display, but the iPhone 5 offers a far more elegant design.

About battery life, It’s a good thing the Galaxy S4′s battery is replaceable, but its 2,600 mAh battery hasn’t impressed. While continuous Web surfing over 4G LTE on 40 percent brightness, the Sprint version of the S4 lasted 5 hours and 49 minutes.

Then I do the same test on my iPhone 5, saw 7 hours and 13 minutes of endurance, or more than an hour longer. Although iPhone 5 doesn’t have a removable battery, there are at least a half dozen battery extender cases available for us.

S4 features a Drama Shot Mode for action shots, an Eraser Mode for eradicating photo bombers and a Dual Shot Mode for using the front and back cameras at the same time, great for inserting yourself in a picture postcard. Easy to switch camera modes.

However in terms of photo quality, the iPhone 5 impressed me more. Although its camera offers less resolution than the Galaxy S4, I found that S4 blew out details that the iPhone 5 is able to picke up, such as the darker flecks in the stone at the front edge of the fountain, as well as where the water drops landed. The iPhone’s shot also offered better contrast.

In general, I still love my iPhone5, though my friend shrug at me…

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
if the iphone 5 suits your needs better then thats your choice but to me the only positive over the S4 for my needs is the design and that doesn't matter all that much to me as it's what's inside and what the phones is what matters most to me.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
There is no real areas of conjecture in the op's post only basic personal preferences which are all legitimate for them.

Personally battery life is about the same on both devices for me, and the iPhone 5 and S4 both have great cameras.

But for me I prefer the bigger screen now and for that reason alone I could not go back to the iPhone until they release a bigger screen version.

I do think Samsung came out with great features with the S4 such as the S-View covers, which are far more useful to me than many of the silly gesture type gimmicks they baked into their OS. Wireless charging (despite extra cost) is very handy to have too.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
I think iPhone5 is better than Galaxy S4…

I'm no fan of the S4 (lag/stutter, signal, PenTile)...interestingly enough...the Motorola X is an amazing device that could easily compete with iPhone if they market it better.

The Moto X is compact, ergonomic and the smoothest Android phone I've ever used.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Design of a phone is something I look at when buying a phone.

Main points are ....... Does it look pleasing to the eye? Does it feel good in my hand? Is it solid? Button placement and quality of display/screen.

I'm not into the finer details of plastic vs metal, or the small subtle details of design.

I purchased iPhone5 because of its design. The polished chamfered edges, precision- cut speakers and even the button feel are all pretty much perfect.

Although nice and to each their own, this is exactly what I don't care about nor would I ever describe any phone as if reading from the Apple site.

About battery life, It’s a good thing the Galaxy S4′s battery is replaceable, but its 2,600 mAh battery hasn’t impressed. While continuous Web surfing over 4G LTE on 40 percent brightness, the Sprint version of the S4 lasted 5 hours and 49 minutes.

Then I do the same test on my iPhone 5, saw 7 hours and 13 minutes of endurance, or more than an hour longer. Although iPhone 5 doesn’t have a removable battery, there are at least a half dozen battery extender cases available for us.

Just like they said OSX is NOT Windows, the same applies as Android is NOT iOS. You said it was your friend's phone, so I doubt you disabled anything. My S4 battery life is excellent with usage and standby, but if you don't disable some unneeded carrier and manufacturer bloat, battery life can suffer.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I'm no fan of the S4 (lag/stutter, signal, PenTile)...interestingly enough...the Motorola X is an amazing device that could easily compete with iPhone if they market it better.

The Moto X is compact, ergonomic and the smoothest Android phone I've ever used.

unfortunately the camera is complete doo-doo!

swpars

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Seattle, WA
Your iPhone 5 may last 1 hour longer, but consider that even the Samsung Galaxy S3 is faster than an iPhone 5(c)

I have an S3 and I seriously doubt the veracity of that statement. My phone feels like a laggy piece of ***** compared to an iPhone 5 which has similar specs to a 5C.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
We don't need a thread every time somebody has a brain fart. Nobody cares what you think is better.

----------

I have an S3 and I seriously doubt the veracity of that statement. My phone feels like a laggy piece of ***** compared to an iPhone 5 which has similar specs to a 5C.

That's because you're probably running Touchpiss instead of rooting it like a real man.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Your iPhone 5 may last 1 hour longer, but consider that even the Samsung Galaxy S3 is faster than an iPhone 5(c) and has a much larger screen.

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/18/samsung-galaxy-s-4-benchmarks-nearly-twice-as-fast-as-iphone-5/

Apple has been selling outdated hardware and they keep doing it with the plastic iPhone 5(c) against the premium prices of flagship phones.

The S3 might be faster on paper (from one benchmark) but its definitely not in use. Note that it only scores slightly higher with double the cores too.

Such benchmarks would only be relevant if they ran the same OS.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
My phone lasts longer than my parent's iPhone 5 because mine doesn't support LTE. Not sure how LTE is a battery drainer on the iPhone 5.

robot007

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
Personally, I find GalaxyS4 to be more my style. However, if I was in a field where the iPhone had superior apps, I would switch to it. I don't think anything would be more frustrating than having a big, fast phone that doesn't have the apps I need.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I used my GS4 yesterday pretty extensively. Not to watch videos. But I shot several pictures, have three email accounts with heavy activity, etc.

Unplugged at 6am, when I went to bed, I was at 59%. "good" or "bad" is irrelevant to me with those #s because I can use my phone the way I want and need to without recharging. Much better battery life than I got with my Skyrocket IIs. And so far, much better battery life I was getting with my iPhone. YMMV

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I am the one have iPhone 5 and I really love it, compare to my friend’s Galaxy S4…
iPhone 5, a device in its simplicity but also very swift and light on its feet, while the Galaxy S4, which with a bigger screen and a steady barrage of features.
I purchased iPhone5 because of its design. The polished chamfered edges, precision- cut speakers and even the button feel are all pretty much perfect. It is also easy to use with one hand, whereas the Galaxy S4 can be a stretch to reach across the screen with your thumb.

I appreciate the removable back cover on the Galaxy S4 and how light it is given its large display, but the iPhone 5 offers a far more elegant design.

S4 features a Drama Shot Mode for action shots, an Eraser Mode for eradicating photo bombers and a Dual Shot Mode for using the front and back cameras at the same time, great for inserting yourself in a picture postcard. Easy to switch camera modes.

However in terms of photo quality, the iPhone 5 impressed me more. Although its camera offers less resolution than the Galaxy S4, I found that S4 blew out details that the iPhone 5 is able to picke up, such as the darker flecks in the stone at the front edge of the fountain, as well as where the water drops landed. The iPhone’s shot also offered better contrast.

In general, I still love my iPhone5, though my friend shrug at me…

trollin....trollin...trollin... (sung to the Rawhide song)
This thread and all the others like it....offer nothing.....

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I have a s4 and I came from a note 2 which I got by trading my iPhone 5.

Ill say feature wise the s4 blows it out of the park. But as far as smoothness the iPhone wins. I just think iOS is a much smoother operating system, I had to root my s4 with cyanogenmod to reach the same smoothness

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I have a s4 and I came from a note 2 which I got by trading my iPhone 5.

Ill say feature wise the s4 blows it out of the park. But as far as smoothness the iPhone wins. I just think iOS is a much smoother operating system, I had to root my s4 with cyanogenmod to reach the same smoothness

That's like saying automatic is smoother than manual. Give iOS users as much control and options as Android users have and watch the smoothness fade away.

Personally I'm impressed with my S4. I have a lot of widgets on my homescreen, 3 differ email apps running, and I'm not on any powersaving mode. Very rarely do I get any hiccup or lag. And I'm on stock touchwiz.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
That's like saying automatic is smoother than manual. Give iOS users as much control and options as Android users have and watch the smoothness fade away.

Personally I'm impressed with my S4. I have a lot of widgets on my homescreen, 3 differ email apps running, and I'm not on any powersaving mode. Very rarely do I get any hiccup or lag. And I'm on stock touchwiz.

Yea - the S4 is great. Sometimes I think people saying it lags just for the sake of saying it ..

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Nova Launcher. And I shouldn't have to void my phone's warranty by rooting it to make it run correctly.

Touchwiz isn't just a launcher. Sadly with the GSIII, that's pretty much what you have to do. It's a slow POS because of Samsung's horrible software. It absolutely flies with a custom AOSP or TW-less ROM.

Good thing HTC supports the rooting crowd. Putting custom ROMs on my One doesn't void anything.

Last edited:

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Yea - the S4 is great. Sometimes I think people saying it lags just for the sake of saying it ..

Nope it does occasionally lag and or stutter but it's not as bad as it was prior to the latest update (for me Sprint MF9 update). Although of late, I've seen more stuttering when scrolling through the call log list.

I've only owned a 4 and 4S as my ios devices but I've owned a plethora of android devices since cupcake and I can tell you that ios is just smoother than android. I MO android is faster but iOS is smoother.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.