Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Nope it does occasionally lag and or stutter but it's not as bad as it was prior to the latest update (for me Sprint MF9 update). Although of late, I've seen more stuttering when scrolling through the call log list.

I've only owned a 4 and 4S as my ios devices but I've owned a plethora of android devices since cupcake and I can tell you that ios is just smoother than android. I MO android is faster but iOS is smoother.

Yeah sadly it does. The difference in speed and responsiveness when going to a GE Rom and coming back to Touchwiz is really evident.

When I'm running a GE ROM the phone is consistently silky smooth, very fast and always responsive. I have never had an app force close when running GE 4.2.2 or 4.3. On Touchwiz, Google play music often crashes for me especially if I'm taking out my phone from its s-view pouch. Likewise it occasionally freezes or becomes unresponsive for a couple of seconds too. I have noticed a massive difference in memory usage between ROMs too with Touchwiz often using 500mb more at any stage than GE Rom.

I'm hoping the Note 3 with faster processor and more memory will solve the touchwiz issues for good.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
I am the one have iPhone 5 and I really love it, compare to my friend’s Galaxy S4…
iPhone 5, a device in its simplicity but also very swift and light on its feet, while the Galaxy S4, which with a bigger screen and a steady barrage of features. blablabla

Well, then better compare the 5(S) to the HTC ONE. Nice design (fits good to MacBooks), no lag or stutter like in touchwiz, good battery life, better screen (no AMOLED). And I really like the dark theme from Sense 5.

Sure, the camera is debatable, but it's completely fine for me.. most people talk so much about smartphone cameras but never took a good picture in their life.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Yeah sadly it does. The difference in speed and responsiveness when going to a GE Rom and coming back to Touchwiz is really evident.

When I'm running a GE ROM the phone is consistently silky smooth, very fast and always responsive. I have never had an app force close when running GE 4.2.2 or 4.3. On Touchwiz, Google play music often crashes for me especially if I'm taking out my phone from its s-view pouch. Likewise it occasionally freezes or becomes unresponsive for a couple of seconds too. I have noticed a massive difference in memory usage between ROMs too with Touchwiz often using 500mb more at any stage than GE Rom.

I'm hoping the Note 3 with faster processor and more memory will solve the touchwiz issues for good.

I've yet to use a GE rom mainly because ports hardly ever play nice with CDMA devices (though I've heard good things on this front) but also because I actually do use quite a few of the s-features. Touchwiz does have its merits but at this point I can't say optimization is one of them.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I've yet to use a GE rom mainly because ports hardly ever play nice with CDMA devices (though I've heard good things on this front) but also because I actually do use quite a few of the s-features. Touchwiz does have its merits but at this point I can't say optimization is one of them.

Yeah its the optimising part that let's it down. If they spent as much time optimising what they have as they do on new features it would be far better for the end user.

Though must say Touchwiz does bring a lot of decent power saving battery optimisations in that are not in play with a Google ROM.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Yeah its the optimising part that let's it down. If they spent as much time optimising what they have as they do on new features it would be far better for the end user.

Though must say Touchwiz does bring a lot of decent power saving battery optimisations in that are not in play with a Google ROM.

yeah stock touchwiz is not that great. However, custom TW roms like GoldenEye are amazing in terms of responsiveness and battery life.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Well the gs4 came out what 9 months after the iPhone 5 so it should be "newer" spec wise. I think iOS is just more efficient than android overall. 4 or 8 cores, 2 gb ram and this phone still lags? I guess because of the overlays phone manufacturers put on android, but again that goes to the fragmentation part. As long as this happens (and it won't stop soon) iOS will always be a smoother os. Yes rooting and/or google editions can give better results, but I'm talking out of the box experiences.

I like the big specs of the android phones, it's impressive but I feel like its needed to do the things you want on the phone. 2600 mah on the gs4, yet the iPhone 5 battery life is comparable at 1400 mah? That's almost half the capacity. Lol if iPhone had a 2600 mah battery, it'd last for days on end.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
We don't need a thread every time somebody has a brain fart. Nobody cares what you think is better.

----------

That's because you're probably running Touchpiss instead of rooting it like a real man.

So what are threads for if not to express what you're thinking about? :rolleyes: I think that also speaks to how bad the device is given its stock software is so ****** as you claim. Not everyone cares or has time to tinker their devices down to the motherboard. It's pretty sad that to get a good experience on the phone, that you have to root it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
So what are threads for if not to express what you're thinking about? :rolleyes: I think that also speaks to how bad the device is given its stock software is so ****** as you claim. Not everyone cares or has time to tinker their devices down to the motherboard. It's pretty sad that to get a good experience on the phone, that you have to root it.

The thing is you don't. I had a good experience with the S3 and now with the S4 when stock Touchwiz non rooted. Only reason I rooted the S3 and installed custom firmware was cause I can. Only reason I'm now rooted on my S4 with stock is cause I can. Not because I'm missing anything, but simply for the ability to have even more options and customization. And mostly stuff I didn't even know I wanted to do until I was able to.

Now with the iPhone, I always would Jailbreak cause I felt I had to. Just to many things I wanted to do that was restricted. This also made me dread updating before a latest jailbreak release. I know you and everyone else has already heard many iPhone users say "If it wasn't for jailbreaking I would have been switched". I've never heard an Android user say they would switch if they couldn't root.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010

Yep. That's why I have an HTC One and refuse to buy into Samsung's phones which seem to translate to one horrible decision after the next. Both on a hardware and software level. Whereas HTC just seems much more experienced with the choices they make. Aside from that weird camera.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yep. That's why I have an HTC One and refuse to buy into Samsung's phones which seem to translate to one horrible decision after the next. Both on a hardware and software level. Whereas HTC just seems much more experienced with the choices they make. Aside from that weird camera.

Lol HTC have made one dependable phone.. The current one. Their track record is poor.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Lol HTC have made one dependable phone.. The current one. Their track record is poor.

I would have to say that switching between iphone and android phones. HTC has always in the past and now. Been the most reliable stable android phone for me. I think the difference is one the way HTC manages the company leaves alot to be desired. And two the marketing that Samsung and Apple does, is much better than HTC. So obviously most people will perceive that HTC is inferior than other droids, or the iphone. But essentially what i am saying is HTC is not as bad as people say they are.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I would have to say that switching between iphone and android phones. HTC has always in the past and now. Been the most reliable stable android phone for me. I think the difference is one the way HTC manages the company leaves alot to be desired. And two the marketing that Samsung and Apple does, is much better than HTC. So obviously most people will perceive that HTC is inferior than other droids, or the iphone. But essentially what i am saying is HTC is not as bad as people say they are.

If HTC made the One with a sd slot, I would have given it a try over the S4 since I already had a S3 and like trying new things. But HTC since the Windows Mobile days, has always been known to skimp out on something that sways many potential consumers elsewhere. That and poor battery life on most previous phones has earned HTC a mediocre rep.

Timely7

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2013
Dude i even think that iPhone 4S is better than galaxy s4... I own a 4S and it feels much more premium than the galaxy s4

Last edited:

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010

The G1 (the phone that started it all), the Hero, the Droid Eris, the Droid Incredible, the Wildfire, the Desire, the Nexus One, the EVO 4G (!!), the Desire HD, the Sensation, the EVO 3D, and finally the One have been all incredibly iconic and great phones for their time. Much better than Samsung who only started getting decent around the SII. Before that it was all kinds of issues like terrible built quality (they haven't fixed this issue yet, all their latest phones are still about as solid as silicon implants) and GPS problems, not to mention the dreadful overuse of PenTile in almost everything they shipped.

I'm sorry, but either you're new to Android and are unaware of the massive legacy that HTC has (and damaged with their previous generation of One X phones which were not that great, which is why Samsung is so popular now) or you're just ignorant as hell and frankly talking a bit from your rear. Do some research before you make any more filthy comments about arguably the most dedicated Android phone manufacturer by a long shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The G1 (the phone that started it all), the Hero, the Droid Eris, the Droid Incredible, the Wildfire, the Desire, the Nexus One, the EVO 4G (!!), the Desire HD, the Sensation, the EVO 3D, and finally the One have been all incredibly iconic and great phones for their time. Much better than Samsung who only started getting decent around the SII. Before that it was all kinds of issues like terrible built quality (they haven't fixed this issue yet, all their latest phones are still about as solid as silicon implants) and GPS problems, not to mention the dreadful overuse of PenTile in almost everything they shipped.

I'm sorry, but either you're new to Android and are unaware of the massive legacy that HTC has (and damaged with their previous generation of One X phones which were not that great, which is why Samsung is so popular now) or you're just ignorant as hell and frankly talking a bit from your rear. Do some research before you make any more filthy comments about arguably the most dedicated Android phone manufacturer by a long shot.

I'm going by personal experience my friend.

All HTC phones have been shocking for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
If HTC made the One with a sd slot, I would have given it a try over the S4 since I already had a S3 and like trying new things. But HTC since the Windows Mobile days, has always been known to skimp out on something that sways many potential consumers elsewhere. That and poor battery life on most previous phones has earned HTC a mediocre rep.

+1

I'm probably what you would call an avid HTC user. I started with HTC back in the old hackable win mo days which is what most likely endeared me to them when they pioneered Android back with TMO.

I have owned almost every iteration of their devices (although the HD2 will always hold a step higher than the rest.) they are always my preferred "go-to" android handset maker. I had the OG G1, the mytouch, the crappy mytouch 4G, nexus 1, inspire, one x, one x+ (the s&itty tegra version) ............ but why not the One?

Nope I got a GS4 instead because even though as a loyal htc follower I know the problems that plague them will never change. HTC does not listen to the consumer, they are a cheap, filthy whore who will get in bed with the highest bidder at the drop of a dime. Did I mention they have no loyalty to their customers? If it's not abandoned devices, it's poor RF receptions in their radios or horribly recessed power/volume buttons, or ridiculously bad battery life on most their devices (any poor thunderbolt owners?), or lack of true SD support when you were the company who almost gaddam invented it (not literally invent for those of slower mental capacity). What else am I missing. Oh yeah, it's no sort of customer support whatsoever, it's crazy chaos with no real order or focus in mind. One minute you're a developer leg humping friendly company with bootloaders open galore. The next you're locked down tighter than Ft Knox, following design cues of a certain fruit company. Who are you HTC? What is your identity? And need I even mention updates?

Sorry, I just couldn't do another HTC device. I mean i still do love their craftsmanship, their lcd screens are awesome and what not but I choose the GS4 because Samsung actually listens to what the consumers want no matter how outlandish it may seem.

Want a 5" octo core bezel free beast with SD card support and removable battery?

SAMSUNG is like Jay Z ......... F*ckwithmeyouknowigotit

[/mini rant]

Last edited:

SA Spyder

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
I'm going by personal experience my friend.

All HTC phones have been shocking for me.

Well fortunately your experience isn't representative of anything even close to fact.

----------

Iconic though? The first Evo sure, but all after, not even close.

The EVO 3D was an excellent phone if you ignored the 3D aspect. And it was iconic for being a worthy successor to the 4G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.