Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
So, I have a 15" Alu PowerBook running 10.4.3.

The speakers keep spontaneously not working. It's happened 4 times in the last 18 hours.

the only thing I've been doing on my PB differently is now I'm running F@H in terminal overnight, every night (and every time I leave my PB for more than a few minutes).

A restart always fixes it... I've repaired permissions, fiddled with system preferences, and all that good stuff.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Pretty please help?

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Do you use headphones?

According to my Lil Bro since he has a AlBook, the PB thinks the headphones are connected. Connect a headphone and pull it out and your souns will come back to your speakers. He said it has nothing to do with the OS.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
xparaparafreakx said:
Do you use headphones?

According to my Lil Bro since he has a AlBook, the PB thinks the headphones are connected. Connect a headphone and pull it out and your souns will come back to your speakers. He said it has nothing to do with the OS.

Nope... didn't work.
:confused:
What's goin' on with my baby PB?
*hug*

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
generik said:
Could it be a loose connection somewhere inside?

Definitely a good idea to send it for some "medicals" :)

But would that be fixed with a restart?

:confused:

edit:
I know it wouldn't be fixed with a restart if it were a hardware thing. I was being facetious.

I also love that word.

jung_offender

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2004
I had a situation on my rev A 12" PB where the balance would shift on its own every day. I didn't realise that was the cause so I kept rebooting, which resolved the problem. I was using these wee dodgey self-powered speakers at the time via the headphone jack so I don't know if that's the same sort of situation or not.

Afraid I have no solutions as once I figured it out and reset it through system preferences, the problem went away.

Strange

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.