Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
I want to start by saying this is NOT a bashing thread. Just wondering what people don't like about it.

Obviously, I'll start, but before I do, overall I'm really liking it, and I didn't think I would.

So here it goes, and just a disclaimer, these are mostly nitpicking items, I haven't found anything that's a dealbreaker.

1) I don't like how the screen fades in when I press the lock button. I typically have my phone in the cup holder in my car and I'm used to tapping the button and taking a very quick glace, this quick glance takes about 3x as long now. Not a huge deal, but would like it to be instantaneous like it was before.

2) The animations are cool, but take too long. I find myself tapping on an icon I want to launch before the icon becomes "tap-able"

That's all I have for now...

Last edited:

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
Like you stated, the animations are terrible. I miss the responsiveness of iOS6 and how fluid it felt, but do not miss the look at all. I'm hoping that there is a lot more optimizations that can be made with software updates to get the speediness back.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Like you stated, the animations are terrible. I miss the responsiveness of iOS6 and how fluid it felt, but do not miss the look at all. I'm hoping that there is a lot more optimizations that can be made with software updates to get the speediness back.

The UI doesn't feel any less fluid to me, well... Not on my iPhone 5 anyway, it is less fluid on my iPad 3 though. Just that the animations "delay" being able to make your next move. They're cool and all, just wish there was a way to turn them off or at the very least, speed them up.

Dekimasu

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Japan
Reduced functionality: storing all my mail on the device instead of syncing X messages, for no apparent reason, and without a way to turn this off.

iPcdebb

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2011
Tampa, FL
Can't swipe to delete messages like I used to
Battery drain (worse on iPhone than iPad mini)
The folders. I just....dont like the look. maybe if they were transparent?
The folders again. 3x3....really? I used to be able to view everything in one of My folders, now I have to swipe a few times to see everything. Kinda hating that.

A lot of my apps got "reset", not a big deal, more of a nuisance.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
I'll definitely agree with not being able to delete texts by swiping, have to hit edit first now, takes longer.

I also dislike all the white on the text messages,
Not to mention the colors are terrible, looks like a child's color scheme now, not very professional to me, not to mention very blinding with the bright white.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Overall I love iOS 7 but for me I dislike the App folders. The 3x3 size is terrible, I liked being able to see more apps in my folder. I don't like the design of it, I believe that they will change that.

I would prefer square buttons for the unlock screen and phone keypad but don't dislike the round buttons, just a personal thing.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Pretty much everything that has already been said here. The animations are unnecessarily slow when getting back to the home screen. Not a big fan of the 3x3 folder grid on the iPad, it might make more sense on a smaller device, but there is SO much screen estate that isn't utilized. Something about Safari (on the iPad) doesn't feel polished. I wish the Calendar section of the notification center were tappable to create quick events (also, I see a faint "Weather information provided by Yahoo" even though there no weather).

I think there is plenty of room for improvement for iOS 7 on the iPad. There's just too much screen estate being underutilized-- similar to iOS 6.

blinkin182

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Switzerland
I also find the 3x3 apps and the fact that if you put more than 9 apps, they will be hidden and harder to find.

I also am a bit disappointed with the Music App. It seems less functional and a lot of things are not logical or harder to find. I used to like seeing the rating, but now I have to double tab and then tap on the specific song to be able to see it... too many steps.

The videos app doesn't seem to display what videos have been seen and which ones haven't.

I also think the animations could be a tad faster.

----------

Pretty much everything that has already been said here. The animations are unnecessarily slow when getting back to the home screen. Not a big fan of the 3x3 folder grid on the iPad, it might make more sense on a smaller device, but there is SO much screen estate that isn't utilized. Something about Safari (on the iPad) doesn't feel polished. I wish the Calendar section of the notification center were tappable to create quick events (also, I see a faint "Weather information provided by Yahoo" even though there no weather).

I think there is plenty of room for improvement for iOS 7 on the iPad. There's just too much screen estate being underutilized-- similar to iOS 6.

Agreed about the wasted real estate. I still don't understand why there is so much spacing between app icons. I think more could find on there easily.

gamesetmatch

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Palm Springs, CA, USA
The overall impression is satisfactory (let's say a B) on my iPhone 5; however, the following items are starting to annoy me:

1. There's too much white and brightness, even when the brightness slider is set nearly to the left.
2. When sending or receiving text messages, the white font is too thin and the bubble color is electric green. I wish I had an option to choose a more opaque color.
3. There is a slight keyboard delay when flipping the phone from vertical to horizontal.
4. Maybe I'm becoming deaf, but I find the new ringtones to be low. Not extremely, but hard to listen to them when I'm outdoors.
5. I wish AirDrop would be able to sync with my Mac.

Cheers from Argentina!

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
I don't like the new keyboard. I know everybody now hates the skeumorphic design, but on the old keyboard the shadows, glows and bevels made the keys pop out better. Much easier on the eyes to me.

post-1-0-32910500-1379606818.gif

kipnosky

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
Can't swipe to delete messages like I used to
Battery drain (worse on iPhone than iPad mini)
The folders. I just....dont like the look. maybe if they were transparent?
The folders again. 3x3....really? I used to be able to view everything in one of My folders, now I have to swipe a few times to see everything. Kinda hating that.

A lot of my apps got "reset", not a big deal, more of a nuisance.

I am also finding it frustrating to have to use more swipes to get where I want.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
The overall impression is satisfactory (let's say a B) on my iPhone 5; however, the following items are starting to annoy me:

1. There's too much white and brightness, even when the brightness slider is set nearly to the left.
2. When sending or receiving text messages, the white font is too thin and the bubble color is electric green. I wish I had an option to choose a more opaque color.
3. There is a slight keyboard delay when flipping the phone from vertical to horizontal.
4. Maybe I'm becoming deaf, but I find the new ringtones to be low. Not extremely, but hard to listen to them when I'm outdoors.
5. I wish AirDrop would be able to sync with my Mac.

Cheers from Argentina!

I definitely agree with 1 and 2. Too much brightness. its especially jarring when you go from a relatively dark screen to white/light. for instance, in Maps, it has a nice darkish tint to the controls, but go and enter a location and you're greeted with a bright search list. The white on either blue or green in messages it not easy to read, and it only gets worse as the colors desaturate when they scroll up.

burgerking2

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
1) Notification center, for example the weather: "Mostly clear currently. It's 57, the high will be 81." C'mon just give me some numbers and icons without writing a novel.

2) Answering phone calls: why have the "Remind Me" and "Message" options so big and prominent? 99.9% of the time, I just want to answer or decline, so these buttons should be bigger for more ease of use. Get those extraneous options out of the way.

3) Camera app: hate the burst mode, especially with no option to enable/disable it. It would nice once in a while to shoot in burst, but 99% of the time, I want a single photo that's in focus.

4) Photos app: while I do like that they added collections and moments, Apple is still not allowing to see what specific time and date a single photo was taken on. They just group them into collections, which may span a week or more. Give us the option to see the date/time please!

5) Weather app: they've switched to smaller thinner tiny low-contrast icons for sunny or rainy, etc. How about using some icons that are easier to see??

6) Control center: nice idea, but how about let us customize the functions/apps that we use more often? I only fly once a year, so don't need to access airplane mode quickly. I also don't use any bluetooth devices, so that's useless as well...

7) Calendar app: the month view is a step back and too simplistic that it's not useful. I like to see a summary of what I have on that day. If I have a dentist appt, I have to click on a day and then scroll around up and down to hunt for the time. They should have an option for summary view or hour-by-hour view.

8) Does parallax serve any function besides being cool for about 2 minutes and battery drain?? (my battery life on my iPhone 5 seems much worse after upgrading)

9) Most of all for me personally, I hate the zoom-in and zoom-out animations when opening and closing apps. Besides seeming gimmicky, it gives me a headaches and nauseous. As such, this may be a dealbreaker for me and I may literally sell my iPhone because I feel dizzy all day:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1638996/

I want a phone that's a phone, not a video game. I don't need to fly into my apps, and then fly back out when I'm done, like I'm playing Call of Duty. There should be an option to disable this annoying gimmick.

These are just my personal observations after using it for 1 day... Other than that, I love iOS 7! ;)

Last edited:

gaboshenia

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2007
Bucharest, Romania
Yup. iOS7 is cool. It feels almost like 6 on my iPhone4. But, as everybody in this thread, there are some things i would change:
1. Either delete one tab or put it to some use in notification center (all&missed)
2.today in nc feels like it still needs some work
3. In spotlight the keyboard should be white, black feels like a nut in the wall
4. The bigger font on the lockscreen in the status bar & the transition from it to the smaller one on the homescreen
5.can't swipe back down to the lockscreen from the camera app when you access it from the lockscreen. I used to take pics on the go swiping up to access the camera then swiping down to get back to the lock state...
That's about all i found. I'm sure there's more...

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I haven't found much. The colors grew on me quickly.

The main problems I have found are no calculator on the control center for iPad, and Siri will not turn on the flashlight or direct me to the location of someone else who is in Find My Friends. Like yesterday I tried saying, "Take me to blah blah's current location." But Siri didn't do it. Just a minor "that would've been nice" thing.

Oh yeah, night mode for the Music app. I can lock the phone, but a night mode would be nice for driving with it on at night.

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
4) Photos app: while I do like that they added collections and moments, Apple is still not allowing to see what specific time and date a single photo was taken on.

This. It's such basic feature, should've been in iOS from the very beginning.

In iOS 7 they did nothing to improve app management. I am sick and tired swiping with my finger on the screen, trying to move each app from a screen to another, or into folders. Why can't I select multiple apps and move them together at once?

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
9 icon view in folder, should be 12.
Music app.
No lines in notepad - c'mon just some light grey thin ones?
Calendar is complicated.
Dial screen in Phone app.
Parallax needs more depth.
More dynamic wallpapers (that aren't just colour variations of the same effect).
Better ringtones - the new ones could have been so much more futuristic (however the tones are fairly good).

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
There's a bunch of things I wish they had done, but leaving them aside for new things in iOS7 that I think need fixing -

• Turning on airplane mode in Siri and via Control Center should have required a passcode as it basically negates Find my iPhone.
  • Control Center is good, but holding down the toggles should take you to that section of the settings page - selecting a specific wifi spot while on the go is still a pain in the ass.
  • The home screen should not be in the multitasking tray. It breaks the metaphor.
  • I am baffled as to why track view in the music app has an a-z quick nav and artist view doesn't. They should both have one. EDIT: Apparently it only appears if the list is 50+ entries. Which is utterly stupid.
  • The calendar needs to return the daily summary under the selected day while in calendar view, and the dot should be coloured akin to your calendar.
  • The mail app appears to have icons for some mail accounts and not others.
  • Notification center shows my calendar, even if it's empty, taking up all the space before you have to scroll. It should only take one line of text to say nothing is going on, so I can see my reminders below straight away.
  • I don't think Passbook geo-fenced reminders should cause the wallpaper to suffer gausian blur.
  • Camera should be able to turn burst mode on and off in the app.
  • The dropshadow on the yellow text in Notes looks terrible, and needs to go. Make the text orange if required for legibility. But dirty yellow looks like it's done by the kid at school who didn't wash his paintbrushes properly.
  • Notification Center should default to the today screen rather than the last tab used, but I think you should probably be able to configure it.
  • Spotlight is too easy to activate, and the angle at which you pull it down needs to be tweaked.
  • Spotlight should be able to search Wikipedia and Google again.
  • Updates in the app store has no pull to refresh animation, and it should.
  • The folder and volume control backgrounds need to have their transparency increased a bit.
  • The videos app needs to display the filename, since it often selects the opening black frame as a thumbnail.

Last edited:

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
I do not like:

1. Zoom in and zoom out animations when opening or closing apps

2. Navigation pane in Safari. I don't like the fact I have to tap to bring it up because sometimes it just open a link that was just there instead of bringing it back. The workaround is to navigate up a bit but then again, it is not practical.

3. I'm still not sure about the icons colors. Maybe I'm getting used to it.

I love all the other things. Especially the calendar app.

gaboshenia

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2007
Bucharest, Romania
2. Navigation pane in Safari. I don't like the fact I have to tap to bring it up because sometimes it just open a link that was just there instead of bringing it back. The workaround is to navigate up a bit but then again, it is not practical.

I.

You can just tap the bottom or the thin white bar in safari to bring the nav bars back. Hope this makes it easier to use. Cheers!

Lerxt

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
It doesn't really seem to use the capabilities of the screen, it just seems less classy and refined.

I will keep it because I have to but it doesn't look great. Why have classy hardware with a classless OS?

marktuk

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
1. Slow response on clicking the home button to exit and app, it seems to pause for the animation.

2. Wasted space in iPad. I had folders previously where all apps were visible (well basically all of my folders), but now several page.

3. Removal of alphabet quick select on the music app on iPhone in the artists view. This was just plain stupidity from Apple.

4. A bug where if you search an email inbox on the iPad, then tap to select the body of an email for the keyboard to drop, you get stuck unable to select any other emails until you cancel the search by pressing cancel.

5. The fonts and icons are too thin in several places, safari icons are among the worse. The font's are easily fixed in accessibility settings, it's a shame there isn't a setting to make the stroke on the icons a little thicker.

6. The icons aren't great, but I can live with them. BUT, the settings icon. What the hell is that!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.