PDA

View Full Version : New PB Graphic card at 212 F

tribe3
Nov 28, 2005, 05:36 PM
That's HOT!! I just came from the Applestore and they say they're going to change the logic board and maybe the Graph card...
My PB started to make a fan sound like a card in a bike's spoke.
I wonder if the high temp in the Graph card has something to do with the "lines".

I used this app to check it: http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html
and this one http://www.bresink.com/osx/HardwareMonitor.html

ITASOR
Nov 28, 2005, 05:40 PM
Holy poop! That is hot!

Just downloaded the app, says my iBook's Graphics Processor Bottomside is 113.5F. That sounds kinda hot too, but I guess it's normal.

tribe3
Nov 28, 2005, 05:46 PM
Mine is 212F/100C steady! and without using anything intensive. It would be interesting to hear what temps are other 15" DL's getting

Josh396
Nov 28, 2005, 05:47 PM
That's ridiculous. How long was it like that or did you just notice?

tribe3
Nov 28, 2005, 05:51 PM
That's ridiculous. How long was it like that or did you just notice?

I just noticed it, but I want to find out if it's just me or if it's another "characteristic" of the new HD PB's :rolleyes:

MacRumorUser
Nov 28, 2005, 05:56 PM
HOLY *****!!!! downloaded the widgit version and my temperature flickers between 163 F and yes 212 F (80C to 100C)

Etiher the app doesn't give an acurate result or these PB's really are running way too hot.

I thought the GFX card shouldn't be running anything above 60C and that's at full load.

80C to 100C just looking at this website in safari is shocking. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hold on the Widgit is not working. When I press F12 the tempreture shows 18C-22C and after about 10 secs it jumps up to 100C????? I think the app is giving way off results.

runninmac
Nov 28, 2005, 08:19 PM
Wow! My iBooks card is at a cool 51 degrees c. (aka 122F) thats 2x cooler... that cant be good

ITASOR
Nov 28, 2005, 08:44 PM
Wow! My iBooks card is at a cool 51 degrees c. (aka 122F) thats 2x cooler... that cant be good

Mine is still staying around 115 or lower. Not over yet. I'm video chatting in iChat too.

Morn
Nov 29, 2005, 03:08 AM
That's quite hot. Still if it's stable it's working ok I guess, could be bad sensor. And if not it could mean your GPU could fail some time in the future from long term heat damage.

tribe3
Nov 29, 2005, 09:15 PM
I just came back from the Applestore (TysonsCorner). They exhanged my computer for a new one even though I had purchased it 33 days ago. The 'genious' was very receptive and I'm satisfied with the service. I told him there was no way I would wait 7 working days for a fix; I also said that after that overheating and the fan rattling that was slowing down my intensive apps and games I wouldn't trust the computer anymore.
He explained the situation to the manager and I got a replacement right there.
It helped that I also took my iMac with a constant fan-on situation. It turned out to be clogged with dust. I'ts breathing better now.
I asked him off-the-record what he knew about the "lines" problem and he said he hadn't had complaints... He sounded honest. I told him to check the ESPN logo and he was thankful with the tip.

At least now I have 14 more days for a money back return just in case... My new serial is week 44 and it has the lines just like the other one. I see them very much mitigated when I sync the screen to TV gamma>native.

I backed up everything except the saves for Civilization3!!! I was about to nuke China... O well at least many lifes have been saved:D