PDA

View Full Version : Using imac G5 (isight) as a monitor...can it be done? or am i just crazy

biohazard6969
Nov 28, 2005, 11:00 PM
ok, i know i've heard that it can't be done, but i'm hoping that maybe now it can....i'm wondering if it is possible to use my imac as a display, hook it to a kvm switch, have a pc under my desk and run both the imac and PC off of the imac's monitor. i'm almost positive that this can't be done seeing as the imac has no input like that but i just thought i'd ask. this is one feature i would LOVE to see in future revisions of the imac and it would definitely make me ugrade

OutThere
Nov 28, 2005, 11:03 PM
Well, if you're willing to hack apart the iMac, find the DVI cable, and splice in your own wires, you're more than welcome to turn your iMac into a monitor, otherwise, you're stuck with it as a normal computer. :p

Sun Baked
Nov 28, 2005, 11:07 PM
Easy answer...

Yes, you are crazy.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23275&stc=1

CanadaRAM
Nov 28, 2005, 11:09 PM
And addressed several times over already in MR (Although this may be a first for the iSight verision)

biohazard6969
Nov 28, 2005, 11:10 PM
Well, if you're willing to hack apart the iMac, find the DVI cable, and splice in your own wires, you're more than welcome to turn your iMac into a monitor, otherwise, you're stuck with it as a normal computer

crap thats what i thought...oh well, not quite THAT desperate to hack it apart but thx

Easy answer...

Yes, you are crazy.

hmmmm thanks....

OutThere
Nov 28, 2005, 11:11 PM
Easy answer...

Yes, you are crazy.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23275&stc=1

Not totally crazy...I mean I've wanted to turn my iMac G3 into an extra monitor for years now...I'd be using it right now and it wouldn't be in my closet if I could use it as a secondary monitor.:D

biohazard6969
Nov 28, 2005, 11:13 PM
And addressed several times over already in MR (Although this may be a first for the iSight verision)

i know but its hard to search ffor somthing like this, with keywords such as imac, G5, monitor, display it still turns up a ton of results

mduser63
Nov 28, 2005, 11:13 PM
You can't use the iMac as a monitor, but you can use Microsoft Remote Desktop to use the PC from the Mac assuming you're running Windows XP Pro on the PC. I use my PC that way occasionally, and it works really well.

biohazard6969
Nov 28, 2005, 11:14 PM
You can't use the iMac as a monitor, but you can use Microsoft Remote Desktop to use the PC from the Mac assuming you're running Windows XP Pro on the PC. I use my PC that way occasionally, and it works really well.

yeah but u can't do that for games and stuff, just basically browsing for files right?

Sun Baked
Nov 28, 2005, 11:20 PM
hmmmm thanks....Well, you did ask.

And you deserved an anwer to the question. ;)

Dave Marsh
Nov 29, 2005, 01:17 AM
Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection works fine from the iMac for ordinary Windows applications (e.g., Office apps) running on the Windows PC, even for ordinary games like Solitaire. However, most Windows powerhouse games use DirectX to write directly to the Windows PC's video memory, and Remote Desktop Connection doesn't support it.

This solution also works for remote Citrix connections through your PC, which is convenient if your work site is Windows only, and you work from home occasionally. Then, you can access your Windows PC, which is configured to connect remotely to your office network using Citrix, via your Mac. When your Windows home work PC is a 12" laptop, and you have a 20" iMac, this is a great home connectivity solution, since the Remote Desktop Connection client gives you the full 20" of screen real estate to use.

redeye be
Nov 29, 2005, 08:03 AM
You could use something like EyeTV (or any other FW image input device) to connect your PC's video out to the iMac, crappy resolution though.
There might exist some kind of device that lets you input VGA...

Buying a second monitor will probably be cheaper ;)

rjphoto
Nov 29, 2005, 09:48 AM
Not totally crazy...I mean I've wanted to turn my iMac G3 into an extra monitor for years now...I'd be using it right now and it wouldn't be in my closet if I could use it as a secondary monitor.:D
It's been a while since I cracked open a G3 case but if memory serves all it takes is a cable (with the right adapter) to your desktop.

You may need to cut a hole in the back but it should be possible from what I recall seeing.

This link has photos of the disassembly.
http://www.macworld.com/2001/10/bc/howtoimac/

tomacintosh
Nov 29, 2005, 06:43 PM
I've been wanting to do this for a while, even the wire hack sounds tempting to me :eek:

Surely some clever guy should be able to reverse the VGA out with a haxies?