Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MalusSylvestris

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2013
On iOS 6, if you swiped across from the dock you could access the orientation lock. If you were in portrait mode it would lock you in portrait mode; if you were in landscape mode it would lock you in landscape. Just as you would expect.

Now, with Control Centre, it locks you in portrait mode even if you are in landscape mode when you open it. Is this a bug or some weird deliberate design decision?

!GS51!

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
On iOS 6, if you swiped across from the dock you could access the orientation lock. If you were in portrait mode it would lock you in portrait mode; if you were in landscape mode it would lock you in landscape. Just as you would expect.

Now, with Control Centre, it locks you in portrait mode even if you are in landscape mode when you open it. Is this a bug or some weird deliberate design decision?

I dont think it would lock you in landscape in iOS 6, just tried it now and it automatically reverts back to portrait :confused:

MalusSylvestris

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2013
I dont think it would lock you in landscape in iOS 6, just tried it now and it automatically reverts back to portrait :confused:

I'm sure it did. I used to lock it in landscape mode for browsing web pages with small text, so the pages were wider. I can't be making this up surely?

MalusSylvestris

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2013
Ok I just Googled this and it seems I'm wrong. Memory is a weird thing.

Maybe I'm mixing it up with the iPad - can you do it there? (I don't have an iPad but I use them at work)

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand

Maybe I'm mixing it up with the iPad - can you do it there? (I don't have an iPad but I use them at work)

Yes, the iPad does what you're thinking.

iPhone calls it 'Portrait Orientation Lock', and iPad calls it just 'Orientation Lock', which makes sense.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011

Yeah, I'm pretty sure on the iPad you can lock landscape. Never on iPhone tough. But actually I've almost never used it.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012

Nope, stock iOS 6 never did this. IIRC this was what you would get if you had Flipswitch installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.