PDA

View Full Version : iSight in the new iMacs restricted

jung_offender
Nov 29, 2005, 01:09 PM
I just tried to use the built in iSight in my new iMac, only to find that iMovie can't use the built in iSight for the video feed. I would have to buy a second iSight to connect directly to a firewire port.

Is it just me or does this seem a bit backwards that newest hardware can do less than the 2 year old kit that is around?

Danksi
Nov 29, 2005, 01:17 PM
I just tried to use the built in iSight in my new iMac, only to find that iMovie can't use the built in iSight for the video feed. I would have to buy a second iSight to connect directly to a firewire port.

Is it just me or does this seem a bit backwards that newest hardware can do less than the 2 year old kit that is around?

I'm sure that without my DV camera connected, iMovie picks up the built-in iSight as a default input device. :confused:

Isn't it an option in the Preferences?

liketom
Nov 29, 2005, 01:18 PM
I'm sure that without my DV camera connected, iMovie picks up the built-in iSight as a default input device. :confused:

Isn't it an option in the Preferences?

is'nt the isight recorded in mpeg4?? not dv

Danksi
Nov 29, 2005, 01:21 PM
is'nt the isight recorded in mpeg4?? not dv

No idea. I'll have to try it when I get home.

jung_offender
Nov 29, 2005, 01:22 PM
All I get is "No Camera Attached" and that is whether I have iChat on (ie: the built in iSight is active) or off.

liketom
Nov 29, 2005, 01:26 PM
All I get is "No Camera Attached" and that is whether I have iChat on (ie: the built in iSight is active) or off.
i used to use my old isight cam with imovie and to activate it i used to just switch the shutter to open and it would pop up -- well and ichat to

but no shutter on iMac so it must be a software thing check your ichat settings for video - tick box for open ichat when isight is connected

jung_offender
Nov 29, 2005, 01:32 PM
it must be a software thing check your ichat settings for video - tick box for open ichat when isight is connected

"Automatically open iChat when camera is turned on" - this is ticked.

I did the apple support chat and the person said she would advise the engineers and let me know if a solution was found. Shall I hold my breath?

liketom
Nov 29, 2005, 01:35 PM
"Automatically open iChat when camera is turned on" - this is ticked.

I did the apple support chat and the person said she would advise the engineers and let me know if a solution was found. Shall I hold my breath?
i'd be suprised if this happens on all new iMac's as you'd be the first to complain about this issue.

let us know what it was/is

harveypooka
Nov 29, 2005, 01:49 PM
Doesn't work with mine either.

liketom
Nov 29, 2005, 01:51 PM
Doesn't work with mine either.
oooohhh thats weird any other new iMac users wanna try it ?

jung_offender
Nov 30, 2005, 04:14 PM
does the silence mean no other problems than ours, or that no one has checked?

Danksi
Nov 30, 2005, 04:18 PM
Tried mine at home last night, didn't work either.

go habs go
Nov 30, 2005, 04:24 PM
Hello,
Does not work on my new imac as well.

SharksFan22
Nov 30, 2005, 04:24 PM
Worked fine for me.

I have a 20" iMac 2.1, just ran iMovie for the first time, clicked the camera icon just below the picture area and the built-in iSight activated. This works whether I have the iChat camera control enabled or not.

go habs go
Nov 30, 2005, 04:40 PM
Hello,
just did a little digging around on the apple sight. Under "imovie help capture live video from an isight camera"
It says must have STANDALONE ISIGHT. BUILT IN ISIGHT IS NOT ABLE TO CAPTURE VIDEO TO IMOVIE.
Thought that apple had better integration than this.......very disappointed.

liketom
Nov 30, 2005, 04:41 PM
Hello,
just did a little digging around on the apple sight. Under "imovie help capture live video from an isight camera"
It says must have STANDALONE ISIGHT. BUILT IN ISIGHT IS NOT ABLE TO CAPTURE VIDEO TO IMOVIE.
thats a bummer , but did'nt someone a few post up say it worked fine on there 2.1 ghz?

Danksi
Nov 30, 2005, 04:45 PM
thats a bummer , but did'nt someone a few post up say it worked fine on there 2.1 ghz?

If you meant me, I thought it did, but must have been thinking of something else. It doesn't work for me.

jaw04005
Nov 30, 2005, 04:51 PM
Hello,

I would think it was more of an issue with iMovie than the built-in iSight. iMovie has not received an update in months, and an update would be required for it to recognize the new built-in iSights.

crazyeyes
Nov 30, 2005, 10:31 PM
Yeah mine doesn't work either.

Kace
Nov 30, 2005, 10:50 PM
neither does mine... ilife 06'

Counterfit
Dec 1, 2005, 01:18 AM
I would think it was more of an issue with iMovie than the built-in iSight. iMovie has not received an update in months, and an update would be required for it to recognize the new built-in iSights.
That's probably the issue. I'd wager that the built-in camera is on the PCIe bus, rather than the FW bus.

ak004m
Dec 7, 2005, 10:58 PM
Yeah it doesnt work with mine either

soooo dissapointed.....and so is my girlfriend :(

JDOG_
Dec 7, 2005, 11:04 PM
Man that's super lame. You'd think they would have set it up on the same bus to avoid additional software settings/complications. Guess Apple engineers aren't perfect :rolleyes:

Like others have said...iLife '06....we can dream.

jung_offender
Dec 13, 2005, 04:00 AM
So between the consistent replies and Apple, I think it's fair to say it's not a problem limited to faulty machines. Is this the sort of thing that can be addressed with a software update? Or is it a no go because of system architecture?

840quadra
Dec 13, 2005, 06:10 AM
That's probably the issue. I'd wager that the built-in camera is on the PCIe bus, rather than the FW bus.

Actually I believe it is on the USB bus, not PCIe

iMeowbot
Dec 13, 2005, 06:48 AM
You can record movies from the built-in iSight using QuickTime Pro, if you have it. The saved clips can then be dragged into iMovie if you like.

redeye be
Dec 13, 2005, 07:29 AM
Actually I believe it is on the USB bus, not PCIe
It is indeed, we might see a USB iSight in the near future...

RedTomato
Dec 13, 2005, 09:18 AM
If the built-in iSight is indeed on the USB2 bus, that adds further weight to the rumours that the new laptops will drop FW400 and only have a single FW800 port. (and the new iSight will be USB.. )

Shucks.

I use FW *all* the time with my PB. - I plug in my isight, my external HD, and my camcorder into the FW port.

It's not the end of the world, just means buying 50 quids worth of changeover cables - Apple had better sell them cheap you hear me!

.. RedTomato..

Diatribe
Dec 13, 2005, 09:20 AM
It is indeed, we might see a USB iSight in the near future...

I thought they had to use fw because of the bandwidth? How'd they get around that limitation? Or are they content now that the video quality is processor and workload dependent?

redeye be
Dec 13, 2005, 11:26 AM
I thought they had to use fw because of the bandwidth? How'd they get around that limitation? Or are they content now that the video quality is processor and workload dependent?
I asked an Apple Product Manager the same thing. He's answer came down to: ask steve...

Diatribe
Dec 13, 2005, 11:39 AM
I asked an Apple Product Manager the same thing. He's answer came down to: ask steve...

That might be another step to get rid of fw entirely and also to get iChat AV PC compatible and throw out a PC version... if that is the case, which I'd suspect considering such a move, that'd be really nice.
I guess Steve is figuring that with the move to Intel, processor and workload dependency are alleviated to a certain point because of the faster CPUs. So all in all it may not be the worst decision ever, IF they really offer iChat for Windows.