Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jung_offender

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
I just tried to use the built in iSight in my new iMac, only to find that iMovie can't use the built in iSight for the video feed. I would have to buy a second iSight to connect directly to a firewire port.

Is it just me or does this seem a bit backwards that newest hardware can do less than the 2 year old kit that is around?

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
jung_offender said:
I just tried to use the built in iSight in my new iMac, only to find that iMovie can't use the built in iSight for the video feed. I would have to buy a second iSight to connect directly to a firewire port.

Is it just me or does this seem a bit backwards that newest hardware can do less than the 2 year old kit that is around?

I'm sure that without my DV camera connected, iMovie picks up the built-in iSight as a default input device. :confused:

Isn't it an option in the Preferences?

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Danksi said:
I'm sure that without my DV camera connected, iMovie picks up the built-in iSight as a default input device. :confused:

Isn't it an option in the Preferences?

is'nt the isight recorded in mpeg4?? not dv

jung_offender

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
All I get is "No Camera Attached" and that is whether I have iChat on (ie: the built in iSight is active) or off.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
jung_offender said:
All I get is "No Camera Attached" and that is whether I have iChat on (ie: the built in iSight is active) or off.
i used to use my old isight cam with imovie and to activate it i used to just switch the shutter to open and it would pop up -- well and ichat to

but no shutter on iMac so it must be a software thing check your ichat settings for video - tick box for open ichat when isight is connected

jung_offender

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
liketom said:
it must be a software thing check your ichat settings for video - tick box for open ichat when isight is connected

"Automatically open iChat when camera is turned on" - this is ticked.

I did the apple support chat and the person said she would advise the engineers and let me know if a solution was found. Shall I hold my breath?

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
jung_offender said:
"Automatically open iChat when camera is turned on" - this is ticked.

I did the apple support chat and the person said she would advise the engineers and let me know if a solution was found. Shall I hold my breath?
i'd be suprised if this happens on all new iMac's as you'd be the first to complain about this issue.

let us know what it was/is

SharksFan22

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Bay Area, CA
Worked fine for me.

I have a 20" iMac 2.1, just ran iMovie for the first time, clicked the camera icon just below the picture area and the built-in iSight activated. This works whether I have the iChat camera control enabled or not.

go habs go

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2005
MONTREAL
Hello,
just did a little digging around on the apple sight. Under "imovie help capture live video from an isight camera"
It says must have STANDALONE ISIGHT. BUILT IN ISIGHT IS NOT ABLE TO CAPTURE VIDEO TO IMOVIE.
Thought that apple had better integration than this.......very disappointed.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
go habs go said:
Hello,
just did a little digging around on the apple sight. Under "imovie help capture live video from an isight camera"
It says must have STANDALONE ISIGHT. BUILT IN ISIGHT IS NOT ABLE TO CAPTURE VIDEO TO IMOVIE.
thats a bummer , but did'nt someone a few post up say it worked fine on there 2.1 ghz?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
go habs go said:
Hello,

I would think it was more of an issue with iMovie than the built-in iSight. iMovie has not received an update in months, and an update would be required for it to recognize the new built-in iSights.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
joshuawaire said:
I would think it was more of an issue with iMovie than the built-in iSight. iMovie has not received an update in months, and an update would be required for it to recognize the new built-in iSights.
That's probably the issue. I'd wager that the built-in camera is on the PCIe bus, rather than the FW bus.

ak004m

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah it doesnt work with mine either

soooo dissapointed.....and so is my girlfriend :(

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Man that's super lame. You'd think they would have set it up on the same bus to avoid additional software settings/complications. Guess Apple engineers aren't perfect :rolleyes:

Like others have said...iLife '06....we can dream.

jung_offender

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
So between the consistent replies and Apple, I think it's fair to say it's not a problem limited to faulty machines. Is this the sort of thing that can be addressed with a software update? Or is it a no go because of system architecture?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.