Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serenesam

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2011
I think the Air should definitely go retina with IPS display at 2.5 lbs as Sony has made significant improvements on their website including a TRILUMINOS diplay at 2.34 lbs.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Why are people so averse to going with the Pro if they want Retina, and they simply want it on the Air? There's not much difference in weight between the 13-inch Air and Pro.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
If they added retina display for MBA, then that would make MBA a weaker version of rMBP at a lower price point, not sure if Apple will ever go for that.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
If they added retina display for MBA, then that would make MBA a weaker version of rMBP at a lower price point, not sure if Apple will ever go for that.

I don't think Apple has to - not until every other laptop does. Retina = high end for laptops.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
If apple built a rMBA 13 it looks like the rMBP 13 today. Problem solved.

Except the 13" MBA has the same resolution as the cMBP 15". If 13" MBA went retina it would have same resolution as rMBP 15" but without dedicated GPU.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Except the 13" MBA has the same resolution as the cMBP 15". If 13" MBA went retina it would have same resolution as rMBP 15" but without dedicated GPU.

This is true. The MBA's have higher pixel densities than the non-high res cMBP's. If Apple doubled the MBA's pixel densities to make them retina they'd have higher pixel densities than the rMBP's.

That display would be expensive and probably at this time, relatively low yield. They'd also be sharper than the rMBP displays. It would make for confusion amongst their model lines.

So how will Apple make the MBA's retina? Decrease the resolutions by using the same pixel density displays as the current rMBP's? That seems like a step backwards. Not sure how this will play out.

serenesam

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2011
Why are people so averse to going with the Pro if they want Retina, and they simply want it on the Air? There's not much difference in weight between the 13-inch Air and Pro.

That's why the 13 Air needs to be 2.5 lbs which is 1 lb lighter than the 13 Pro.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I think the Air should definitely go retina with IPS display at 2.5 lbs as Sony has made significant improvements on their website including a TRILUMINOS diplay at 2.34 lbs.

I don't care what display technology Apple uses as long as they put a decent display on the Air. My 2012 on one of the best general purpose laptops I've owned (except for the rotten display), and I've had quite a few MBA's / MBP's.

Sadly Sony blows Apple in the weeds with much better displays. Apple can do it too, and that's what frustrates me. I am a very loyal Apple customer, that will not buy Sony or any other for that matter.

Apple needs to take care of their loyal customers.

mmcc

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
Tennessee

I personally will likely never go for the rMBP at the current price points without the ability to upgrade RAM or SSD space. I'll pay the price for a "throw-away" MBA. :rolleyes:

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I don't care what display technology Apple uses as long as they put a decent display on the Air. My 2012 on one of the best general purpose laptops I've owned (except for the rotten display), and I've had quite a few MBA's / MBP's.

Sadly Sony blows Apple in the weeds with much better displays. Apple can do it too, and that's what frustrates me. I am a very loyal Apple customer, that will not buy Sony or any other for that matter.

Apple needs to take care of their loyal customers.

It's not rotten. Want to see a BAD display? Lenovo T430.

cedwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Canada
Not sure why people are still looking for this... how about an 11.6" version of the rMBP? Would that work?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I personally will likely never go for the rMBP at the current price points without the ability to upgrade RAM or SSD space. I'll pay the price for a "throw-away" MBA. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure that makes any sense. The rMBP has become just like the MBA, soldered parts and non-upgradeable. Why would you have no problem buying the MBA but not the rMBP?

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
If we see a thinner 13" retina Pro this October, it starts to get a little "Airish", so if the Air is to get a retina-like screen next year, I think the form of the Air is going to change in some way to become more distinguished from the Pro. I think they got something up their sleeves for the Air next year.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
As many have said, the 13" Retina MBP is pretty much MBA with Retina display.

TheKDub

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
So how will Apple make the MBA's retina? Decrease the resolutions by using the same pixel density displays as the current rMBP's? That seems like a step backwards. Not sure how this will play out.

I actually don't think that Apple would have a problem with doing this. I doubt most consumers would actually realize it since all marketing has to do is to say, "Look, we went from 1440x900 to 2560X1600!" and people won't realize that the retina scaled is actually just 1280x800.

Of course I don't think the Air would get retina for at least a little while longer as they need differentiation between their product lines and for tech to improve to maintain the great battery life + portability that the Air is catered to.

serenesam

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2011
I wouldn't mind buying an Air if at the very least it had an IPS display like the IPAD Mini even if it isn't retina......but I still think it should be lighter.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.