PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X Tiger and the iMac 350 : Is it possible?

ReanimationLP
Nov 30, 2005, 01:53 AM
Yeah, so I'm curious, and a tad confused. :/

The Tiger system requirements states : Built In Firewire.

Then it says under Supported Macs the slot loading iMacs.

Anyone runnning Tiger on their 350 iMac wanna fill me in? I got it running Panther currently.

screensaver400
Nov 30, 2005, 11:24 AM
Apple's system requirements are a bit over-simplified. Even some officially unsupported models will run with a hack, and some models with Firewire won't run it. The Firewire requirement is meant to be a decent judge of how recently the machine was made... Tiger itself doesn't require Firewire.

If the machine is listed as supported, it's supported.

kwajo.com
Nov 30, 2005, 11:29 AM
i've got Tiger on a slot-loading iMac, it works great, was much faster than Panther even. so go for it! the only problem I ran into was lack of a DVD drive, but I had an external DVD burner on another system so I just installed using that hooked up the firewire port on my iMac. good luck! :)

OutThere
Nov 30, 2005, 11:31 AM
It'll work fine, and apparently Tiger is a big performance boost for older machines. :)

Cheese
Nov 30, 2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks to everyone for the info. I was waiting to put Tiger on my iMac DV 400, but I will be hooking up with it very soon.

kammron
Dec 2, 2005, 11:53 PM
can you wipe your HD clean and install tiger fully onto a iMac g3???
you dont need os 9 to boot up i take it.

mad jew
Dec 2, 2005, 11:56 PM
can you wipe your HD clean and install tiger fully onto a iMac g3???
you dont need os 9 to boot up i take it.

You have to install some firmware (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117) (through OS9) first. :)

kammron
Dec 3, 2005, 12:10 AM
so after i get firmware 4.1.9.
then i could go about wiping the hard drive of everything os 9, and install a full version of tiger?
or do i still need the OS 9 on there to boot up?

mad jew
Dec 3, 2005, 12:13 AM
Get to OS9.1 using the method in my linked article from Apple above. After that, I think you just start from the OSX disks and install over the top of OS9 but I could be wrong. I've never actually done it before. :o

Just get the right firmware on there first. :)

kammron
Dec 3, 2005, 12:21 AM
from what ive read, your right about the firmware...
you need the laters one in order to switch over to tiger.
i think i need OS 9 on there in order to run tiger.
the only thing i dont know is if this is all the same for installing panther.:o

mad jew
Dec 3, 2005, 12:26 AM
I think it's the same for anything post-Jaguar. :)

kammron
Dec 3, 2005, 12:36 AM
yah.
i think everything i want to run, panther will satisfy,
so i will most likely just spend less and get it on ebay.
theres a few auctions carrying panther on cd, and a few carrying tiger on cd.

stoid
Dec 3, 2005, 12:46 AM
I have Tiger installed on an old 450 Mhz G3 with only 128MB of RAM and it runs shockingly well. In fact, I would say that the OS is nearly as fast as my 1.25Ghz PowerBook with 1.5GB of RAM. Of course apps aren't nearly as fast, but the OS is very snappy!

nykansukee
Dec 9, 2005, 11:47 PM
Just put it on a 233 with 512 ram,running ok

ShaggyLR
Dec 19, 2005, 05:05 PM
Another question, if I already have Jaguar running on an iMac DV SE 500mhz, does that mean I can instal Tiger without worrying about Firmware updates? Jaguar has been installed on it for about 2 years now and haven't been in OS9 since.

mad jew
Dec 20, 2005, 12:42 AM
Yeah, you can update straight to Tiger from Jaguar. :)