PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 speaker on left won't work

court
Nov 30, 2005, 09:43 PM
So I noticed that my left speaker doesn't work and worse than that...when I plug in speakers, it does the same thing. One speaker (usually the left side) doesn't work!!!! When I take it into my apple store will they have to take it somewhere to have it fixed???? OR...can they fix it there??

OutThere
Nov 30, 2005, 09:45 PM
This seems to be a bug in Tiger, it has happened several times to me, and once or twice to my friend with a Powerbook...the balance is off in the System Preferences. Go into the Sound preference pane, select Output, and set the balance to the middle. Ta-da!:cool:

Laser47
Nov 30, 2005, 10:06 PM
I have the same problem on my ibook every once in a while. Its kinda annoying sometimes. Maybe apple will fix this in 10.4.4

court
Nov 30, 2005, 11:17 PM
This seems to be a bug in Tiger, it has happened several times to me, and once or twice to my friend with a Powerbook...the balance is off in the System Preferences. Go into the Sound preference pane, select Output, and set the balance to the middle. Ta-da!:cool:

This didn't work.

OutThere
Nov 30, 2005, 11:26 PM
This didn't work.

Hmm...that's strange. I can't think of any reason why both the speakers and the headphone jack would be effected by a problem like that, unless it was in the core of the audio processing part of the computer...unless someone else has a better idea, taking it to an Apple store might be a good idea.

GeeYouEye
Dec 1, 2005, 12:09 AM
try zapping the PRAM (cmnd-option-p-r at startup until the third chime) then reset the balance.

mad jew
Dec 1, 2005, 01:11 AM
The PRAM reset (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238) should work but if not, then open and close Garageband to reset Core Audio. Unless, it's a hardware issue, these two methods should help. :)

court
Dec 1, 2005, 01:02 PM
try zapping the PRAM (cmnd-option-p-r at startup until the third chime) then reset the balance.

Thank you! I'm glad I asked because it was really bothering me.

XnavxeMiyyep
Dec 11, 2005, 03:41 PM
My powermac switches the balance to the left every so often. I'm also using Tiger. Does anyone know why this happens or how to stop it?

tjwett
Dec 13, 2005, 03:49 AM
my 12" PowerBook also slams the balance to the far left pretty often. seems to happen when i adjust the volume using the keyboard volume buttons. here is something puzzling though; if i have System Preferences open to the audio out balance pane, it won't do it. i decided i would try to watch it happen, guess it doesn't like to be watched.

cloubren
Aug 4, 2006, 07:06 PM
Wow, thank god for this forum.

My speaker on my iBook G4 cut out the left channel completely between two songs in iTunes, at first I thought it was my sterio because it's an older set that has fragile wiring. Then I diconnected the Y Cable from the minijack and the iBook speaker wasen't working I almost went crazy.

I called Apple Canada and the lady was all "Well, your 90 day telephone warrenty is up, it'll cost you 59$ CND"

Then I found this 2nd from the top search on google for "ibook speaker dosent work"

Thank god... I was thinking about sending it in for repair, and being without it. I really hope Apple fixes this in a later patch or update maybe we should tell them about it they may not know.