Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
This is really cool, its called rasterbation (funny... I know, but thats what its called) it takes a pic and blows it up super big (up to 20m) and prints it with dots, so you step back and it looks perfect, its really sick... http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

DSCN0280.jpg

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
Neat. :D

I really need to get another digital camera. I'm missing out on all this fun MacRumor's posting goodness. :(

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
*GASP* Where???? I was gonna make a bigger one, but I A) don't have enough room in my room and B) 36 sheets of paper and a ton of ink is plenty :-/ but I'll make a bigger one eventually, maybe put it at my school somewhere

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
kingcrowing said:
.....it takes a pic and blows it up super big (up to 20m) and prints it with dots, so you step back and it looks perfect..../IMG]

Isn't this what happens whenever you take a photo with a low MP count and blow it up too big? The dots are just like pixellation. Doesn't sound that innovative to me. Do I not understand something correctly? :confused:

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Abstract said:
Isn't this what happens whenever you take a photo with a low MP count and blow it up too big? The dots are just like pixellation. Doesn't sound that innovative to me. Do I not understand something correctly? :confused:

When that happens, the photos look like crap. This basically takes the photo and makes it into a giant halftone.

Damn I wish I had my camera, I have a 6x5 (sheets of paper) James Bond rasterbation at home, and a 4x4 of jim morrison here in my dorm.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Actually, I have a really big one of me and my wife. I just havent taken the time to put it all together and I need a really big wall. Its not quite as big as yours, but its landscape orientation which makes it seem a bit larger to me, i guess.

Jomoma

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2005
Here's a picture of the posters in my classroom (unfortunately all PC's except my iBook)

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
Here's my rasterbation:

rasterbate.jpg

Cutting them, taping them, and then putting them up onto the wall takes a lot more time than I thought. :eek: I also think black and white looks a bit better.

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
Ooooooooh that color one looks awesome :-D

I'd only fret as it would drain ink on my printer SOOO QUICKLY!

Also, Photo Mosaics are sweet... there are some great programs for those too

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
The colour one look really nice.

I have a few that I did several weeks ago. The good ones are of Bjork while the others were from my concert photos and there is to much solid black which made it impossible for me to piece them together.

At some point next quarter I will try to screen print a smaller one. Probably try to do a flush? pull (several colours on the screen and using just one pull motion).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.