Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamtrip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
I have resisted the temptation to upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion (I run a 2008 aluminum MacBook). However, quite a few apps only seem to support Mountain Lion now and I am thinking of upgrading.

Do you think the price of an upgrade to Mountain Lion will fall after the announcement on Monday, or will it stay the same? I would wait, but I will be traveling for the next few weeks, so if I don't upgrade this weekend, I won't really get the opportunity to upgrade until late November!

NB. I know that the price of an upgrade to Mountain Lion is relatively low to begin with... but it would irk me a little if the price fell in a couple of days!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple won't discount ML when (if?) they announce Mavericks on the 22nd, but rather just remove it as an option in the MAS. Today you can buy Mountain Lion in the Mac App store but not Lion. The same thing will occur when apple releases Mavericks.

iamtrip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
But am I right in thinking that the reason Lion is not available on the mac app store is because one can upgrade directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion (i.e. skipping Lion completely)?

Are you saying that once Mavericks is released, users of Snow Leopard or Lion will be able to upgrade directly to Mavericks (i.e., skipping Lion and Mountain Lion, or Mountain Lion respectively)?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Are you saying that once Mavericks is released, users of Snow Leopard or Lion will be able to upgrade directly to Mavericks (i.e., skipping Lion and Mountain Lion, or Mountain Lion respectively)?
Yes. Apple will offer Mavx and no other OS versions, unless you have already purchased them, when they will appear in your purchases. You can purchase 10.9 directly and install on any OS from 10.6 upwards. No need to go through all the steps.

If I were you, I would upgrade to Mavx and not bother with ML.

iamtrip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Great, thanks for the clarification. But do you think it would be okay to run Mavericks on a late-2008 aluminum MacBook?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Yes. Having more RAM never hurts, though Mavx is pretty decent at using the available RAM, however small.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.