Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I can no longer use the 2D dock in 10.9.

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES; killall Dock

Doesn't work now!

Last edited:

Broojo02

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
UK
That's a shame, the 2D dock was a lifesaver for me when I was experiencing system crashing glitches with the 3D dock in 10.8.1 - 10.8.4.

And it has good simple look to it for those who don't want frosted glass at the bottom of their screen.

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Oh good god. I just updated and searched on how to get my 2D dock back only to find this. Ugh, I can't deal with the 3D dock.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Ah that's a real shame. The 2D dock worked well for me. Took up less space, and was easier to see the icons.

l008com

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Yes I too very much prefer the 2D dock. I've been using it ever since 10.5, when the 3D dock came out. Back then, all the 3D stuff actually slowed down older Mac's GUIs. It would speed up the whole interface by switching it to 2D. But thats not an issue at all any more. What is an issue is that the 2D dock just looks better to me. And its always easier to see which apps are running in the 2D docks. I wish the 2D dock (the side dock) was still darker though. But more than that, I hope someone finds a way to make the bottom-of-the-screen dock 2D.

Jonx

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2004
I've always used either 2D or transparent dock as 3D was distracting. I hope there is a way to get rid of 3D look.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Maybe Ive & Co. will get rid of the 3D effect in OS X 10.10, like they did in iOS 7?

I'm sure they will. But seems daft to remove this option! There must be another way - it still exists for the side, and I'm sure we'll be able to edit the textures, like we could in previous versions, to make it black again.

I have hope!

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
I'm sure they will. But seems daft to remove this option! There must be another way - it still exists for the side, and I'm sure we'll be able to edit the textures, like we could in previous versions, to make it black again.

I have hope!

I have hope +1, really annoyed about the 3D dock right now.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I have hope +1, really annoyed about the 3D dock right now.

Hoping they give us this option back.

----------

I have hope!

I don't know much about coding, but why can't someone just figure out a new terminal command for 10.9 that allows us to get this 2D dock back at the bottom?

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
I don't know much about coding, but why can't someone just figure out a new terminal command for 10.9 that allows us to get this 2D dock back at the bottom?

I was thinking that it could be due to the 2D dock having a glass effect now, therefore the "no-glass" command isn't going to work as the name of the bottom 3D dock has changed.

Its probably more complicated than that, though.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I was thinking that it could be due to the 2D dock having a glass effect now, therefore the "no-glass" command isn't going to work as the name of the bottom 3D dock has changed.

Its probably more complicated than that, though.

I'm sure it is. However, it doesn't seem overly difficult for someone who knows UNIX code and the structure of OS X like the back of their hand.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I'm sure it is. However, it doesn't seem overly difficult for someone who knows UNIX code and the structure of OS X like the back of their hand.

Well nothing to do with Unix code really, it's just Apple has changed the parameters/structure of the Dock - probably in anticipation for OS X 10.0 that will have an iOS 7 style dock - so the quick and easy way to get the 2D dock doesn't seem to be possible now.

3rd party dock utilities allow for a 2D dock again, but I don't want to pay someone money just to get a 2D dock.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Well nothing to do with Unix code really, it's just Apple has changed the parameters/structure of the Dock - probably in anticipation for OS X 10.0 that will have an iOS 7 style dock - so the quick and easy way to get the 2D dock doesn't seem to be possible now.

3rd party dock utilities allow for a 2D dock again, but I don't want to pay someone money just to get a 2D dock.

Can you point me to one? Also, I've heard these apps can make your system unstable. Is this true?

This is how I have my desktop set up. I need that 2D dock to make it complete. ;)

vb67.png

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
Can you point me to one? Also, I've heard these apps can make your system unstable. Is this true?

This is how I have my desktop set up. I need that 2D dock to make it complete. ;)

Change the location of the Dock to the left or right of screen, problem solved. You get more vertical screen real estate that way too.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012

I wonder: if Apple made a flat OS X, would we still see shadows? They're integral to OS X for telling current windows apart.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Change the location of the Dock to the left or right of screen, problem solved. You get more vertical screen real estate that way too.

Not what I asked, nor is it what I want. You don't think I'm already aware of this feature?

There is a way in this thread to get the old 2D dock on Mavericks.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1681155/

Basically:
1) Install SIMBL
2) Download, extract and mount BlackDock0.8.0
3) Place BlackDock.bundle in /Library/Application\ Support/SIMBL/Plugins
4) Run InjectIntoDock

Result Image

Cool! I'll check this out when I get home. Is it only in black or can you make it grey?

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
No need to be cheeky, I was simply offering a practical solution.

I didn't meant to be rude. I apologize. However, this solution is not very practical for what I am looking to do.

----------

There is a way in this thread to get the old 2D dock on Mavericks.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1681155/

Basically:
1) Install SIMBL
2) Download, extract and mount BlackDock0.8.0
3) Place BlackDock.bundle in /Library/Application\ Support/SIMBL/Plugins
4) Run InjectIntoDock

Result Image

Bad link?

Edit: I found the link in the other thread that works okay. It's pretty coo! I just wish the apps didn't sit so high up and that it was all grey.

peco.png

Last edited:

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Bad link?

Edit: I found the link in the other thread that works okay. It's pretty coo! I just wish the apps didn't sit so high up and that it was all grey.

Yeah there is no way to change the color. I'm pretty sure it's just the same as the pre-Mavericks 2D dock. The link doesn't seem to want to work so I changed the link.

Alternate option is:

1) Buy dockmod (or use trial)
2) Make the dock transparent using dockmod
3) Install GeekTool
4) Make a background behind the dock
5) Adjust color and transparency as you please

Obvious the background wont hide when the dock does. (might be possible with a script if there is away to check if the dock is currently hidden or not)

You can also make the dock look really similar to iOS 7 using this method.

results will look like this:

attachment.php

or this:

ios_7_style_dock_wip_test_download_by_skyjohn-d6tvmga.png

Throw in Nocturne and you've basically got fully iOS7ified OSX Desktop

Last edited:

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Yeah there is no way to change the color. I'm pretty sure it's just the same as the pre-Mavericks 2D dock. The link doesn't seem to want to work so I changed the link.

Alternate option is:

1) Buy dockmod (or use trial)
2) Make the dock transparent using dockmod
3) Install GeekTool
4) Make a background behind the dock
5) Adjust color and transparency as you please

Obvious the background wont hide when the dock does. (might be possible with a script if there is away to check if the dock is currently hidden or not)

You can also make the dock look really similar to iOS 7 using this method.

results will look like this:

or this:

Throw in Nocturne and you've basically got fully iOS7ified OSX Desktop

Thanks for the reply. Why does the dock change back to default after a restart? Also, can you adjust the grey dock that you have so it doesn't stretch to the full screen?

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Thanks for the reply. Why does the dock change back to default after a restart? Also, can you adjust the grey dock that you have so it doesn't stretch to the full screen?

Because it needs to be injected again any time the dock is quit and relaunched.

You can just make an app using Automator that runs the applescript and add it to the startup items if you want to keep the 2D.

The background made using geektool is just a rectangular window with transparency behind the dock so it can be any size, color and transparency. You can also use pictures so it could be any shape you want as we'll assuming you make/find the background image of the shape you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.