Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qwerty11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
My 16gb of ram, quad core, iMac usually boots within a few seconds. After the upgrade it takes excruciatingly too long. We are talking about in the 5 - 10 minute range. Once it boots everything is fine. I did a PRAM flush from boot, but that did nothing. I am running display link for a third display, but I haven't read any of the numerous issues with display link/mavericks being related to boot times.

Any help??

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
My 16gb of ram, quad core, iMac usually boots within a few seconds. After the upgrade it takes excruciatingly too long. We are talking about in the 5 - 10 minute range. Once it boots everything is fine. I did a PRAM flush from boot, but that did nothing. I am running display link for a third display, but I haven't read any of the numerous issues with display link/mavericks being related to boot times.

Any help??

what happens if don't plug in the extra monitor?

DaReal_Dionysus

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
are you leaving stuff open when you log out. If so Mavericks trie to restart the last session you were logged into. When you get in go to the apple and go to log out. uncheck the box at "Reopen windows when loving back". Now restart and try to log back in. Remember to stop any programs that open at login.

Hope this helps.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Press Command + V During Startup
Command + V boots your Mac into what is called Verbose Mode. Using this key combination will cause your Mac to become very verbose on startup and will show a terminal-like interface while booting. It will contain information important to startup, allowing you to diagnose startup problems by seeing any errors that may be occurring during startup.

fortheus

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Happens to me. I force restart, unplug external disks and let it run again (i just leave my computer while going out) till login screen appears. The next startup is fast though.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, that's just not right. My rMBP (with 16gb of ram) is no where as slow.

Did you check out the console logs to see if there's anything jumping out at you?

Qwerty11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
So my Mac is now bricked. Story leading up to it though....

Looked at logs and the error was always preceded by something of this nature... error I/o "macintosh hd." The crash report would always mention plists.

I booted into recovery and ran disk utility > repair. It told me the disk needed repairing and to select repair. Once I selected repair it would do the same thing over and over, this disk needs repair... It would hang at the point where it was talking about the partition map.

So I unhooked everything from the mac and rebooted. I then got the folder with the question mark on it.

I restarted and tried holding down option to choose a boot disk and all I get is an immovable pointer on the screen.

I plugged back in my external HD and I could select to boot from it which launcher the repair utility.

Help

Last edited:

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Yeah, looks like your HD is borked. If still under warranty, take to an Apple store for replacement.

Hope you had a backup.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
As a very good guideline: if you see more than one "disk i/o" error in your console, the drive is dying.

Hope you have a good backup, get the disk replaced, restore from backup and go on your way.

Really not much more to it than that, HDDs do fail, and seemingly innocent activities like an upgrade can either expose the issue or push the HDD over the edge.

P0stalTek

Suspended
Feb 25, 2011
My 2011 MBP with an aftermarket SSD boots Mavericks in ~12 seconds. 16gb of corsair vengeance but RAM doesn't affect boot time much unless you have way too little.

Cwelch1977

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2014
Did you ever resolve this?? I am curious..

QUOTE=Qwerty11;18244031]My 16gb of ram, quad core, iMac usually boots within a few seconds. After the upgrade it takes excruciatingly too long. We are talking about in the 5 - 10 minute range. Once it boots everything is fine. I did a PRAM flush from boot, but that did nothing. I am running display link for a third display, but I haven't read any of the numerous issues with display link/mavericks being related to boot times.

Any help??[/QUOTE]

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

Any help??

Looks like you've got a bad hard drive and need a new one.

Are you using an SSD or a regular, slow HDD?

Zorro21c

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2015
Your Mac is jammed, just cancel the downloading process, shut it down, let it breaths, restart. I did that and my second attempt was 2H20" vs 14 hours on the first attempt.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Your Mac is jammed, just cancel the downloading process, shut it down, let it breaths, restart. I did that and my second attempt was 2H20" vs 14 hours on the first attempt.

Did you really just resurrect a year and a half old thread to tell them to let their Mac "breaths"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.