Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Hello everyone i have a loaded out g5 iMac with 2gigs of ram 2 ghz model, its just not running like it should anyone have any ideas my 250 gig hardrive is filled to about 200 so i dont think that should play just alot of beach ball spinning and dont know what to do anyone help me out?

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i think theres a problem with the full stop button on your keyboard as well :p

I recommend the usual; see if theres anything hogging the CPU (as MadJew said), restart to get the computer running fresh again, or repair permissions.

Is the RAM from Apple? I dont know much about RAM but i do know that the wrong type is not good.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Scarlet Fever said:
Is the RAM from Apple? I dont know much about RAM but i do know that the wrong type is not good.

Definitely a good second step. Bad RAM will have the same symptoms so if it isn't a single process, then maybe take the extra RAM out if you're confident doing that sort of thing. :)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
How long have you had the computer, and how long has it been acting this way? Did it start after you changed any Hardware or Software on it?

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
bought imac in may, put 2 sticks of crucial 1 gig sticks popped them in felt the change, now its just kinda boggy ilooked at my activity monitor nothing out of the usual, i did have a few widgets up that i didnt know that were runnign i turned them off now i can feel a little bit of a change but with 2 gigs i would think this sucker would fly

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
entropyjosh said:
bought imac in may, put 2 sticks of crucial 1 gig sticks popped them in felt the change, now its just kinda boggy ilooked at my activity monitor nothing out of the usual, i did have a few widgets up that i didnt know that were runnign i turned them off now i can feel a little bit of a change but with 2 gigs i would think this sucker would fly
Try taking that RAM out and putting the original Apple RAM back in (if you still have it). Atlease this will tell you if it is the RAM or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.