Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Thanks for the heads' up, trying to set this up for my parents but stuck at step 2 on the PBS.org site, bleh.

It'll be great if season 3 of Sherlock is available like this in January.

Edit: Eh, had to pause Ghostery in order to move to the next step but then the Apple TV activation code was rejected: "Provided activation code not recognized with any device." Augh!

Last edited:

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
Thanks for the heads' up, trying to set this up for my parents but stuck at step 2 on the PBS.org site, bleh.

It'll be great if season 3 of Sherlock is available like this in January.

Edit: Eh, had to pause Ghostery in order to move to the next step but then the Apple TV activation code was rejected: "Provided activation code not recognized with any device." Augh!

Their network seems to be super-overwhelmed this afternoon. I can barely get anything to play, and it took me multiple tries to get my Apple TV activated. Maybe they underestimated the capacity they would need on day 1.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Their network seems to be super-overwhelmed this afternoon. I can barely get anything to play, and it took me multiple tries to get my Apple TV activated. Maybe they underestimated the capacity they would need on day 1.

Actually, that sounds encouraging, I hope PBS takes note of all the interest in a forward thinking way.

Yes, I kept getting 502 server errors & gave up after generating other codes only getting a little further along. But when I tried the PBS app on the Apple TV I could scroll through the programs and stuff later. D'oh, didn't click on one at the time to test, ha. :rolleyes:

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
The app is completely dead for me now. Stuck on "Accessing PBS." Doesn't seem to be any support contact on the PBS side, and their Twitter account is useless.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Even though I wasn't able to complete the activation on the PBS website this morning, the PBS app DOES work. :) I just loaded the Parrot documentary and it looks great. Their servers must be quite busy because loading was a bit slow compared to the rest of Apple TV.

----------

Was Sherlock on PBS?
I assumed BBC America.

Most definitely on PBS. Season 3 of Sherlock premieres on PBS on January 19th. The previous two seasons were also on PBS a few times. I guess the PBS :apple:TV app will have the new Sherlocks for a limited time like they're doing with Downton Abbey. I hope so anyway.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
It just worked great for me. In about a minute I was up and running watching an episode of Nova. I just used my Guinea Pig's Facebook account to login.

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I was able to stream the doc about Kennedy and it looked great however navigating in the app is a pain. Everytime you access a new page or go to a new section you get an Accessing PBS screen for too long. Hope this is going to be fixed. Other than that so happy about PBS

marcre

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
East coast
Activated easily for me. I was actually pretty excited to see this.

I cut cable over three years ago and I watch some shows on PBS, but it doesn't always come in clear for me.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The stuff I watched, they are just clips, not full episodes. Looks like a teaser that's all.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
The stuff I watched, they are just clips, not full episodes. Looks like a teaser that's all.

What show did you watch? I watched a few full episodes of Nova. It all depends on the show. I'm hopeful that they put Downton Abbey up for my wife. It would certainly make my life easier.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I like how it links to your local PBS station and there is actually a section within the app that allows you to watch locally produced shows. This could be the future of apps for TV networks. If a future ABC/CBS/NBC app were set up similarly, then each network could add streaming of local news, etc. from the local affiliates. If this were to happen, I could see AppleTV service becoming the replacement for cable TV.

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
I like how it links to your local PBS station and there is actually a section within the app that allows you to watch locally produced shows. This could be the future of apps for TV networks. If a future ABC/CBS/NBC app were set up similarly, then each network could add streaming of local news, etc. from the local affiliates. If this were to happen, I could see AppleTV service becoming the replacement for cable TV.

The wealth of locally-produced content available on the PBS app is a real treat. I've found you're not restricted to your local affiliate; you can find programs from affiliates across the country through the Search function.

One improvement I'd like to see would be the ability to subscribe to different programs, so new episodes automatically show up in your watch list. You can do this with HBO Go and it's very nice.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Ok, so I'm stumped. Went to the PBS.org/activate site. Entered the code. Then it went to a page saying I had to use a Facebook, Google+, or PBS service. But no idea where I have to do that. Can anyone give me some guidance?

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Ok, so I'm stumped. Went to the PBS.org/activate site. Entered the code. Then it went to a page saying I had to use a Facebook, Google+, or PBS service. But no idea where I have to do that. Can anyone give me some guidance?

I just clicked back to the home page, looked for the log-in box and chose set up new account, clicked on the email link in Mail, then went through the activation stuff all over again. Mind you, i never actually completed the entire activation because their servers were busy I guess, but everything worked on the Apple TV.

jmac049

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Georgia
Anyone else think its kind of crappy that you have to sign in with something other than your apple ID? They even say they are going to send you updates. Just what I need, more useless notifications. I immediately hide this channel when I read that. Luckily, I also have a Roku and PBS does not require a sign in to watch on that.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Anyone else think its kind of crappy that you have to sign in with something other than your apple ID? They even say they are going to send you updates. Just what I need, more useless notifications. I immediately hide this channel when I read that. Luckily, I also have a Roku and PBS does not require a sign in to watch on that.

I had to put in my email address on the Roku PBS channel. Now, it was just type in the email address and location on that, not a full activation like on the Apple TV. I just installed it about a month ago, so maybe that was new.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I just clicked back to the home page, looked for the log-in box and chose set up new account, clicked on the email link in Mail, then went through the activation stuff all over again. Mind you, i never actually completed the entire activation because their servers were busy I guess, but everything worked on the Apple TV.
How long did it take you to get the email with the link in it? I signed up for the "newsletter" a few hours ago and haven't gotten anything. Tried signing up again about a half hour ago and haven't got an email yet. I suppose I will get 2 now. :)

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
How long did it take you to get the email with the link in it? I signed up for the "newsletter" a few hours ago and haven't gotten anything. Tried signing up again about a half hour ago and haven't got an email yet. I suppose I will get 2 now. :)

That's odd, it was nearly right away. Check your spam folder. Btw, I forgot about this until just now, but are you running Ghostery? I had to pause it on the PBS site in order to get stuff to work (almost) right. Good luck!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
That's odd, it was nearly right away. Check your spam folder. Btw, I forgot about this until just now, but are you running Ghostery? I had to pause it on the PBS site in order to get stuff to work (almost) right. Good luck!

Nope not running it and have received nothing from PBS.org.

You used the box where you sign up for newsletters, right? When I filled it out, it said I would be receiving newsletters shortly. Never said anything about a confirmation email.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.