Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Nope not running it and have received nothing from PBS.org.

You used the box where you sign up for newsletters, right? When I filled it out, it said I would be receiving newsletters shortly. Never said anything about a confirmation email.

Hi! I had to check Safari history, because I tried so many different things at the time, I forget which finally worked. ---And not the most transparent website either.

I know the newsletter signup you mean, but the one you want is this,
and it should look like the attached image:
https://account.pbs.org/accounts/login/

I had a hard time getting back to this page on repeated tries so it's not you, just inscrutable web design.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-11-21 at 7.48.37 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-11-21 at 7.48.37 PM.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 139

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Hi! I had to check Safari history, because I tried so many different things at the time, I forget which finally worked. ---And not the most transparent website either.

I know the newsletter signup you mean, but the one you want is this,
and it should look like the attached image:
https://account.pbs.org/accounts/login/

I had a hard time getting back to this page on repeated tries so it's not you, just inscrutable web design.
Thanks for the help. Don't know how you ever found it but glad you did. ;)

Update: No luck. Filled in the PBS form, got the email. verified my email address through the link. Go to bps.org/activate, fill in the activation code. It then takes me to a page saying I need to be logged in to Facebook, google+ or bps. Just doesn't seem like it should be this difficult.

Last edited:

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Set it up last night, actually worked pretty easily. The longest step for me was creating a PBS account and dithering over which of three different local PBS choices was best.

I was disappointed to not really see any kids' programming available, though.

Even worse, I stumbled across the "PBS Remix" grouping and watched the Mr. Rodgers remix. Nightmares it gave me, I tell you. Nightmares!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Still at a deadened. PBS login page says I am signed in. Go to the activation page put in the activation code and I just get that screen saying I need to sign in to one of the 3 options.

Now if I go to the Video page at PBS, up in the left had corner there is "Sign In". If I click on that it takes me to the same page telling me I need to sign in using 1 of the 3 options (Facebook, google+, or pbs). So am I missing something with the "sign in" or is something just not working right?

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Still at a deadened. PBS login page says I am signed in. Go to the activation page put in the activation code and I just get that screen saying I need to sign in to one of the 3 options.

Now if I go to the Video page at PBS, up in the left had corner there is "Sign In". If I click on that it takes me to the same page telling me I need to sign in using 1 of the 3 options (Facebook, google+, or pbs). So am I missing something with the "sign in" or is something just not working right?

There is something messed up with the PBS activation site apparently, many people have had to try repeatedly. I never completed all the activation steps --seemingly. The site would hang on different pages and not advance. But when i checked the PBS app on the Apple TV afterward, it worked (before all the PBS.org hassle it definitely did not). So have you tried your Apple TV yet? --Another thing, when you click on the PBS app, it seems like it's just spinning and not ever going to load, but it will, just be patient. For some reason it's slower than everything else on the :apple:TV.

I think perhaps PBS underestimated all the interest in this app.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
There is something messed up with the PBS activation site apparently, many people have had to try repeatedly. I never completed all the activation steps --seemingly. The site would hang on different pages and not advance. But when i checked the PBS app on the Apple TV afterward, it worked (before all the PBS.org hassle it definitely did not). So have you tried your Apple TV yet? --Another thing, when you click on the PBS app, it seems like it's just spinning and not ever going to load, but it will, just be patient. For some reason it's slower than everything else on the :apple:TV.

I think perhaps PBS underestimated all the interest in this app.
I tried it again this morning and so far, it is still showing the "Join" box that generates the activation code. I have even tried setting up a new PBS account using my gmail address, with no luck. After putting in the activation code, I just keep getting the page that says I have to sign in, but there is no where to sign in. And if I go to my account, it says I'm signed in. :(

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I tried it again this morning and so far, it is still showing the "Join" box that generates the activation code. I have even tried setting up a new PBS account using my gmail address, with no luck. After putting in the activation code, I just keep getting the page that says I have to sign in, but there is no where to sign in. And if I go to my account, it says I'm signed in. :(

Yikes, what a nasty loop to be stuck in. :( Can you log out of the PBS account from their home page, then log back in with the proper account (not newsletter) info?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Yikes, what a nasty loop to be stuck in. :( Can you log out of the PBS account from their home page, then log back in with the proper account (not newsletter) info?
I have tried that. I'm not in the newsletter thing (never even got a newsletter). I followed your link to the "proper" account setup page and created my new account there. There are others posting on the Apple Support Forum that are experiencing similar things.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I have tried that. I'm not in the newsletter thing (never even got a newsletter). I followed your link to the "proper" account setup page and created my new account there. There are others posting on the Apple Support Forum that are experiencing similar things.

I'm sorry that nothing seems to be working right for your PBS app set up, it sounds like the PBS.org site has quite a bug. It's odd how randomly it works or half-works. I really hope this external sign-up procedure will not be the prevailing way to get apps on the Apple TV in future. Even though it finally worked for me, it was still frustrating, --though not nearly as much as it must be for you. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.