Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Everyone has a different idea of what fun gadgets they would like to see in the future, and some of Microsoft's researchers have been demonstrating in Brussels what they hope might take off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/4534674.stm

Most of them sound pretty gimmicky and the kind of things that have been talked about for years.

Snarf sounds vaguely interesting...
The Whereabouts Clock sounds a bit disturbing.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Wow, with Microsoft's guidance, we all have so much to look forward to in the future. How can I look at a standard photograph now knowing that someday I could make a caricature of it with a few mouse clicks? I feel blessed.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
That's what the geniuses at MS come up with? That's how MS spends its R&D budget?? :rolleyes:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
me_94501 said:
That's what the geniuses at MS come up with? That's how MS spends its R&D budget?? :rolleyes:

No, this is just a touchy-feely 'look at how caring we are' display for Euro MPs and other Eurocrats at Brussels, in order to prevent them thinking evil thoughts about Microsoft in relation to any monopolistic, anti-trust, etc. plans that the EU may be having.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Pfft!!

What use is a Whereabouts Clock without a "Mortal Peril" option?

Total waste of time.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
According to Adam according to M$ (I couldn't go - too young), they're planning on having a black box in every house that does media and streams to stuff and stuff like that (had I been there, the description wouldn't have been so vague)

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Blue Velvet said:
No, this is just a touch-feely 'look at how caring we are' display for Euro MPs and other Eurocrats at Brussels, in order to prevent them thinking evil thoughts about Microsoft in relation to any monopolistic, anti-trust, etc. plans that the EU may be having.

Whatever cynicism may be embedded in the hearts and minds of the EU will eventually be borne out ... when it comes to Microsoft and its bulldozer tactics, it is usually just a matter of time.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
Can't wait to take an apple of a bowl and see my last set embarrassing family holiday snaps right in front of me.

::20ROGERSC::

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
I swear to god the BBC are getting paid by Microsoft..... we've had news stories nearly everyday about the new XBox ....... as well as MANY others like this one.

Applespider

macrumors G4
MacSA said:
I swear to god the BBC are getting paid by Microsoft..... we've had news stories nearly everyday about the new XBox .......

I suspect there are others who are convinced the BBC get discounts on their Apple kit from the amount of stories there are about Macs and iPods. Everything to do with an MP3 or podcast has an iPod image. It's unusual to find a week on their technology page without at least one Apple headline on it.

I'm really not convinced about many of the things mentioned there (regardless of who thought of them). WTF is the touch bowl about? Snarf seems to just be a way to create automatic filters for those who don't know how to set them up. It will be interesting to see how it handles email from a loved one that rarely send them compared to the weekly update bulletins from a company that you've worked with but don't really care about since both would be in your address book.

The tapestry looks interesting but again I suspect will still have fairly strict rules applied to it so that people get decent results back out...

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I'd have to say that the interactive bowl is possibly the stupidest concept project I have ever seen or heard of. It makes a "toaster with internet access" seem like genius in comparison. Its classic microsoft-- insert useless functionality into a form made for something else.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
The thread title is just so oxymoronic (is that a word?).

I'll add it to the list....
Military intelligence
Jumbo Shrimp
Microsoft Vision

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
All of this is very interesting, but what the hell are Microsoft up to? Are they trying to demonstrate how they plan to help people's lives, or how they plan to take over and control yet more of our everyday tasks. If I was an MEP, I wouldn't be impressed by this, but there would be a combination of laughter and fear. It's all aiming at that centrally contolled home Microsoft wants so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.