PDA

View Full Version : Paint Shop Pro clone for Mac

Gr8fulTed
Dec 18, 2005, 04:30 PM
I have just recently made the switch to a Mac from a PC and am finding I am really missing my Paint Shop Pro. As I research JASC (or Corel) It appears as though there is no Paint Shop Pro platform for Macs.

I am wondering if there is some other software around that is very similar to PSP that I can aquire.

Thanks for any help.

Blue Velvet
Dec 18, 2005, 05:16 PM
Photoshop Elements?

But to be honest, I've never used Paint Shop Pro. Photoshop (the full version) has always been the tool of choice for me.

I'm afraid that you may just have to learn to use some new software unless you want to run Paint Shop Pro on Virtual PC.

Adobe Photoshop Elements runs neck and neck with Corel as the best photo-editing software. In fact, we've rarely seen two products so evenly matched in reviews. The latest version of this photo editor is Photoshop Elements 4 (*est. $90). Like Paint Shop Pro, Adobe Photoshop Elements is lauded for its advanced functionality combined with an easy-to-use interface. Since Elements is also made by Adobe, it shares some features with Photoshop CS2, including Healing Brush, which erases wrinkles and blemishes. Reviews note that the dust filter available through Photoshop Elements is the best available (aside from Adobe Photoshop CS), and several one-click functions such as red-eye repair and photo-repair (color, contrast and cropping fix) work very well. The helpful 'Hints' floating palette and tutorials assist first time users. There is also a tool for merging photos, which will resize, skew and blend multiple images. Experts say the layer adjustments are on par with Corel Paint Shop Pro.

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/software/photo-editing-software/fullstory.html

ezekielrage_99
Dec 18, 2005, 06:01 PM
When I first came over the the "Dark Side" with Apple all that time ago, I have to admit I missed my Paint Shop Pro.

Try http://www.gimp.org/ it's pretty good software, GIMP is no Adobe PhotoShop killer but it is good for photos and basic web stuff, plus it's free which is always a bonus. (Make sure you install X11, you'll need it for running GIMP)

And there's always Adobe Elements which is always a good alternative.

bousozoku
Dec 18, 2005, 06:12 PM
I've found PS Elements version 3.0 quite good as a functional replacement for Photoshop while I'm away from my desktop. I'm sure it would do a great job in place of Paint Shop Pro, which must have changed a lot from the shareware days.

7on
Dec 21, 2005, 10:47 AM
GraphicsConvertor is good too.

Applespider
Dec 21, 2005, 10:51 AM
When I switched, I moved to Elements too. The only thing I missed from PSP to Elements was the Colour Replacer tool which is only in the full version of Photoshop but it wasn't a deal killer.

mkrishnan
Dec 21, 2005, 11:04 AM
When I switched, I moved to Elements too. The only thing I missed from PSP to Elements was the Colour Replacer tool which is only in the full version of Photoshop but it wasn't a deal killer.

Do you mean the channel mixer? PSE3 has a replace colors tool, in the sense that you pick a color in the picture, you pick a replacement color for it, and then you adjust the sensitivity so that nearby-to-target colors are replaced by nearby-to-replacement-colors....

The channel mixer is probably the key thing I wish I had. Although to be fair, using the color adjustment tool in PSE3 and then mixing down to B&W is usually quite sufficient. And B&W is usually not my thing anyway. :o

Applespider
Dec 21, 2005, 11:22 AM
Ah... was that in PSE2? I never bothered upgrading to 3 since I got a copy of Photoshop from work.

mkrishnan
Dec 21, 2005, 11:27 AM
Ah... was that in PSE2? I never bothered upgrading to 3 since I got a copy of Photoshop from work.

Ahhh, oops, sorry, 'Spider. It probably wasn't. :o I never used PSE2. But from what I hear, PSE3 was a huge improvement and the feature set became much more usable for the amateur set.... I bought PSE3, and then got PSE2 with my Rebel, but I never bothered with it.

mdavey
Dec 21, 2005, 11:55 AM
Try http://www.gimp.org/

I'd second that. Gimp is a superb piece of software and there are masses of filters and plugins available for it (it comes with a whole load as standard).

Ga6
Jun 20, 2006, 01:39 PM
its unfortunate but...there is no solution
2 things to remember
photoshop is a graphic artist oriented program
paint shop pro is photograhy oriented....yes stupidly inverse names

Photoshop has nicer more comprehensive (for the mostpart) effective tools, but the layout sucks, the menus have become way too nested and the interface looks like it was designed by newspaper men (not that it should matter). photoshop has much more user oriented support with a wide range of tools available...most of dubious quality. Oops did it crash again ?

Paint shop pro is simpler, much better layed out for intuitive learning (why did you buy a Mac again ?), requires less time to do the same operations. But it also has distortion correction tools for fisheye barrel and pincussion (only as addons for photoshop), You need this for a wide range of lens issues. colour replacement tool to take out those grey skies with a gradient blue and adjustable cloneing make the lawns look green again.

Nicely laid out features that work together such as saturation/lightness. Add to that the productivity the macro feature provides, giving you the ability to load and process 20 images ata time for operations that are the same. This would include the reliabilty of the One Step fix tool, noise reduction and fill flash. Then theres the ease to which you can correct perspective distortion, a feature that took me fully 2 days to find in Photoshop...and I know what Im looking for.

If I spend 5 minutes on a photograph I have wasted 3 minutes. I have the need to process the 50 to 90 images from a shoot and burn them to disc for the client to deliver the next working day. Productivity is the key, with ever so slight compromises on quality. If someone could figure out a way to run PSP on my Mac effeciently they would have all my money my undying love and gratitude. Well ok, my gratitude anyways :)

photoshop elements is nothing but a cut down version of photoshop
what the hells a gimp....

jive
Jun 20, 2006, 04:45 PM
Would Aperture not be more suited for you?

Ga6
Jun 21, 2006, 08:28 AM
Would Aperture not be more suited for you?

In fact i am looking at Aperture, and LightZone
I am trying to discover the tools they have without the hefty download
Aperture does look to be a little hardware heavy for my dual proc G4

Both these aps are more database oriented than what I feel I need, but alas I am willing to try

ninja/pirate
Jul 20, 2007, 06:48 AM
its largely lazyness on my part but i really resent not having paint shop pro for a mac. i cant let one programme define my choice of computer, but my use of psp had become intuitive and having an incredibly short attention span makes learning to use a new programme a mammoth chore.

heres hoping.

http://www.petitiononline.com/psp4mac/petition.html

tominated
Jul 20, 2007, 07:03 AM
maybe pixelmator when it comes out soon?

bigandy
Jul 20, 2007, 01:45 PM
If you're leaning towards GIMP but don't want to run it through X11, there's MacGIMP (http://www.macgimp.org/)....

Or if PSP is the one and only for you, get VMWare and chuck Windows on it ;)

Would make sense, and I can't wait. However, it says it's being released late July and they haven't even emailed out about the private beta yet :confused:

mkrishnan
Jul 20, 2007, 02:02 PM
If you're leaning towards GIMP but don't want to run it through X11, there's MacGIMP (http://www.macgimp.org/)....

Has anyone actually used MacGIMP? I'm very curious. Is there even any place to see screenshots? Navigating their site is very confusing to me... I've found it before and I just can never figure out where on the site I'm supposed to find anything. :(

Chrystal Ocean
Sep 4, 2007, 12:04 AM
It's been almost two years since the OP of this thread and still no PaintShop Pro for Mac.

I'm a new Mac user. Just got my Mac Mini a week ago and am having a ball with it. Have happily adapted to the new environment and new applications, with one exception. The graphics application I've had to make do with in lieu of PSP is a poor replacement. It literally is a time waster. So little of it is obvious.

When I first began checking out a graphics/image applications, back in the old days, I looked at PhotoShop. Seemed far too complicated and more than I could ever need. PSP proved the better choice. I'd never created images before then (not even by hand), but it didn't take long to learn how to use PSP. I cannot say the same with the application I'm having to use now: GIMP (with the required X11 installed).

No other program comes close to what PSP can do - a sad situation for we PSP fans.

I'd not heard that MacGIMP was on the horizon. I'll check it out. Not having to use X11 would be great.*

Will MacGIMP resolve my problems learning how to use this application? I doubt it, since the fundamental problem is with the GUI. It appears to have been designed from a developer's, not a user's, POV.

As for PSP for Mac, I've signed the petition and will squawk and squawk about the unfairness of it all. ;)

*Same deal with OpenOffice vs. NeoOffice. It's not all that clear on the OpenOffice.org website that there's a better choice for Mac users, rather than installing the version of OO that requires X11. NeoOffice is also OO, but it has been designed specifically for Macs - no X11 required.

emotion
Sep 4, 2007, 04:47 AM
As for PSP for Mac, I've signed the petition and will squawk and squawk about the unfairness of it all. ;)

Use VMWare Fusion and run PSP within that perhaps?

I know not an ideal solution but it will work.

Sesshi
Sep 4, 2007, 05:16 AM
Seashore?

http://seashore.sourceforge.net/

BBC B 32k
Sep 4, 2007, 11:53 AM
AppleWorks? :D

ChrisA
Sep 4, 2007, 02:21 PM
I have just recently made the switch to a Mac from a PC and am finding I am really missing my Paint Shop Pro. As I research JASC (or Corel) It appears as though there is no Paint Shop Pro platform for Macs.

I am wondering if there is some other software around that is very similar to PSP that I can aquire.

Thanks for any help.

You don't say what you use PSP for. If we knew this we could suggest a suitable replacement for PSP. Is cost an issue? Maybe not if you are looking at Corel? Let us know what your needs are. lot of thing might work.

elppa
Sep 4, 2007, 02:33 PM

It sure looks exciting.

Here is the link (http://www.pixelmator.com/) for the original poster.

notjustjay
Sep 4, 2007, 03:35 PM
I'm one of those that loved PSP on my PC, too. I miss it on the Mac. I've used Photoshop Elements, and it's decent, but somehow just not quite "right" to me. Maybe I just need more time to get used to it (I haven't tried version 3 at all, either, I should give it a whirl.)

I essentially stopped doing new website development (making all those little graphics) since I switched, almost solely because I was on a roll with PSP and suddenly I faced the prospect of re-learning and recreating everything.
The site I maintain is long overdue for a design refresh, so perhaps I should get cracking.

feyd_ehway
Sep 9, 2007, 10:51 AM
ive been a photoshop user even back in my window days... but for some reason i did enjoy paintbrush *grins* i realize there is a vast difference between the programs but i just got all excited when i thought i had an answer to someone's question. [paintbrush / paintshop pro... similarities are overwhelming - being that they both have the word 'paint' in title *meek attempt at humour* ]
but, just in case you are wondering...
i have found a version of paintbrush for mac! *hears the cheers of awe and admiration from fellow members* ;)
sometimes i just want a basic [and by that i do stress basic] program that i dont have to wait 5 minutes to load [okay, slight exaggeration :D]
http://paintbrush.sourceforge.net/

the writing on the tombstone will say:
hey, but she meant well...

leedsj
Sep 25, 2007, 02:10 PM
i'm so glad that I have found others who have to deal with the daily trauma of life without PSP. My new Mac is ace - infinitely superior to the PC - except for image editing. My (admitedly dodgy) copy of Photoshop takes 3 days to load and is not as intuitive as PSP. Still - I even got upset when they moved on from PSP5 - which still gets booted up on the PC whenever I have images to edit.

GIMP is OK, and I persevere with it - but it is a stressful affair (as are all of the packages i have tried out on the mac) And don't even get me STARTED on fireworks...

BornAgainMac
Sep 25, 2007, 03:55 PM
PSP is sorely missed. I wish that Corel company would wake up. They are turning down a small fortune in sales.

blipper
Sep 25, 2007, 09:13 PM
I'm another relatively new Mac user who misses PSP, though when I really need it I run it through Parallels.

macdad2
Sep 25, 2007, 09:36 PM
Released today…

http://pixelmator.com/

I was brought up on Photoshop and sadly have little experience with PSP but this app look pretty amazing for the price.

Learn more here and decide for yourself.

http://www.screencastsonline.com/sco/files/SCO0117-pixelmator.html

edit: no affiliation - just looked very cool to me :-)

None Such
Sep 27, 2007, 03:31 PM
Photoshop Elements?

But to be honest, I've never used Paint Shop Pro. Photoshop (the full version) has always been the tool of choice for me.

I'm afraid that you may just have to learn to use some new software unless you want to run Paint Shop Pro on Virtual PC.

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/software/photo-editing-software/fullstory.html

I bought Corel Painter X off of ebay very cheap. Because a mac doesn't even come with something like MSpaint. Does it have any image editing funcionality? How is it comparable to Corel Paint Shop Pro. It's features look imense, I haven't sorted through even 1/4 th of them.

marty1foryou
Nov 26, 2007, 04:23 PM
but i miss only the kaleidoscope!

does anybody know which programme has the same?

marty1foryou
Dec 29, 2007, 07:26 AM
Does anybody know where i can find a same tool as kaleidoscope as in paint shop pro?

oldhickory
May 7, 2008, 11:53 AM
The kaleidoscope is only one of the many features that I have to have, too. I am currently struggling with getting Parallels up and running so I can run PSP on my mac. It's been very problematic. I'll check back in, after a few more days of torture and let you know how I'm doing. Given all the issues I have had so far it's probably not a good time to report my results. A step forward, three steps back. Two steps forward, a step back. Maybe I'll have good news later.

Seidreken
Jun 6, 2008, 08:52 AM
I just now found a software called drawit. The website is getdrawit.com and I noticed its a lot like paintshop pro. you can also try a free trial, but if you want to buy it it is $39.99

northernmunky
Jun 6, 2008, 09:34 PM
Pixelmator (http://www.pixelmator.com/) hands down, also has Photoshop file support and its based on CoreImage (using you graphics card for processing) which Photoshop doesn't even have yet until CS4 comes out.

Well worth the $59(USD)

oldhickory
Jun 6, 2008, 11:16 PM
Well, I finally got parallels to run but I can't seem to get files back and forth from mac to pc--I guess I screwed up installation on windows and did not allow access to files for both OS....crap.

What I miss SO FAR about PSP... as someone mentioned, distortion correction is a big factor...and the ability to make graphics--type--like title slides for my slide shows using--oh, I don't know, TYPE?!

Very annoying....I'll guess I'll check out the last couple of suggestions...I know, I shouldn't winge but... neither Iphoto or aperture have these features? Seems pretty basic to me...

Johnchapin
Jun 8, 2008, 12:15 PM
For such a basic tool, it's truly amazing that only Jasc PSP could get it right, however I lost all hope for PSP when Corel bought Jasc. Still wish I could play an old version of PSP on a Mac. No, I won't be installing Windows. My solution is to keep an old PC around dedicated to photo editing and transfer files with a keychain.

When Apple got started, they were the leader in graphics. What happened? :eek:

knightlie
Jun 9, 2008, 02:52 PM
I'd sell my relatives for PSP on the Mac - I use it extensively in VMWare, it's still better than anything on OSX in the same price range. GIMP no longer works for me since I installed Leopard and borked X11, but I don't like GIMP's interface much anyway - PSP (for the most part) gets it right. Seashore doesn't do enough, and I'm not sure about Pixelmator - I do a lot of vector work in PSP, and I need a similar set of features.

And the other thing I badly need is a GIF animation tool. Animation Shop, which comes with PSP, is diabolically bad, and the only Mac tool I found - Pixen, whose developers seem to have disappeared - was never finished, crashes repeated under Tiger and won't even run under Leopard. It's open source, too, it's a pity no-one has picked it up and worked on it.

Infrared
Jun 9, 2008, 07:31 PM
GraphicsConvertor is good too.

Disastrous UI though :)

Mohawk5
Sep 8, 2008, 11:01 PM
What I like about PSP is its user friendliness for lay folks like me. I have an Intel Mac Mini, and run Parallel desktop on it in "coherence mode". That permits me to run all the windows programs, such as PSP, that I like and I haven't abandoned. I use them together with my Mac programs.

Johnchapin
Sep 10, 2008, 10:54 AM
Hi Mohawk5. Thanks for your input. How well does PSP run on Parallel? What is "coherence mode"? Do you use a graphics tablet? :confused:

The reason I have shied away from Parallel is that PSP even on my old PC gets balky when I get too much in active memory. Probably my PC is getting too old. I don't mean the going back and forth to the hard drive. That would be really balky. Anyway, I'm just concerned about performance issues with Parallel. Any feeling for those issues?

mnemo
Sep 14, 2008, 02:27 AM
As an AMX programmer I have found PSP and Animation Shop are a vital part of my working life. Especially the ability to export an animation frame by frame. I've only recently become a MAC user and would love to see a version of PSP for MAC. I purchased a full version of CS3 (my daughter is a MAC wiz) but cannot get my head around Photoshop - let alone the rest of the suite. No doubt I need to spend more time with these programs but my feeling is the MAC werld needs a program like PSP for us 'oldies'... ;)
Cheers all
RN

dgungadoo
Jun 3, 2009, 11:51 AM
I mainly miss the perspective correction that Paint Shop Pro offered. (Select the 4 corners that need to be square/rectangle - and voila).
Even the latest version of Adobe Photoshop CS4 makes this simple process complex.

As far as quick auto-retouching, I find that Google's Picasa for Mac works well.
For professional use however, I would use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom or Aperture, but please Corel, why don't you make at least a perspective correction plugin for Photoshop ?

(the closest one I found was http://www.vicanek.de/plugins/perspective.htm but it's still much harder than PSP !)

Also, encourage everyone you know to sign this petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/psp4mac/petition.html

pixiesusan
Jun 12, 2009, 02:19 PM
I switched to Mac 2 years ago and love it except for no Paint Shop Pro. I loved PSP best when it was with Jasc. I could draw with it, manipulate photos - pixel by pixel. You could do everything with it.

I have Elements and if you can draw easily with it I don't see how. I can't figure out a way to float text in it. Wow this is a HUGE gap for Mac. I've downloaded about 10 trials of graphics programs and none come close to PSP. it was so easy to use. Guess I'm going to fire up that PC in the basement after all.

Susan

Johnchapin
Jun 13, 2009, 10:49 AM
That's my solution exactly, Pixie. Keep the old PC just for PSP.

Soon I'm going to cut the PC off the internet and get rid of all those annoying Updates of Windows, AVG, and Firewall. Anyone know an easy way to cut off those updates in XP? :confused:

Years ago there was some "not ready for prime time" software from Corel. Corel still seems hopeless. Seems like the only hope for PSP for the Mac is to sell PSP back to JASC. :mad:

Putting Parallels and XP on a Mac boggles my mind. I can't stand the idea. And I bet it's not fast. Anyone with experience? Can you supersize that with a Wacom tablet?

Photoshop has such an awkward user interface. And a tough learning curve. And expensive. I'm just an old grouch, but the worst-dressed software companies starting from the bottom are Corel nowhere, HP dumpware (what you get with their printers), Adobe mudware, and MS bloatware. :mad:

Aperture seems to be coming along. There are apparently some good plug-ins to do some of the PSP stuff, but I haven't tried them yet. Again, anyone with experience? I hope I'm not too old to learn Aperture. :confused:

There's a cute app for iPhone called Brushes ($4 or so). Haven't tried it, because I'm not an artist. There's some YouTube of 3X speed painting. There was a recent New Yorker cover done with Brushes on a phone. :eek:

Have you noticed that Apple stores are jammed to the gills with customers? I've never in all my life seen a retail store like this. A NYC store had $300 million sales? Excuse me, I have to go buy some :apple: stock.

pblanton
Oct 6, 2009, 07:55 PM
That's my solution exactly, Pixie. Keep the old PC just for PSP.

I too am a new mac User. I bought my daughter a new 15" Macbook Pro for her birthday back in March. About two months ago my wife was aching for a new lappy and she mentioned those tiny netbooks as a solution, but I was smitten with my daughter's MBP, so I bought her a new 13" MBP.

Needless to say, once I got my hands on her MBP, I was too far gone. I just ordered my own 15" MBP unibody and the only thing I really miss is my PSP.

That said, my new unibody 15" MBP runs Windows 7 Like a champion in Boot Camp. I know many of you would cringe at installing Windows on a Macbook, but really... The MBP in BootCamp runs Windows better than any other lappy on the market. For now, Just install PSP on the Windows 7 (Vista???) boot camp partition and get rid of any left over Windows machines. Let's face it... We all need a windows app from time to time. Apple has made it wicked easy to move to mac as long as you have a BootCamp partition set up with a Windows OS for those few Windows apps that you just can't do without.

Add me to the list of people clamoring for a new PSP for mac. I'd pay up to $150 for it.

pblanton
Oct 6, 2009, 08:07 PM
For more info - Just so you know where I am coming from...

I have a new 15" Macbook Pro with the expresscard slot. You real newbies with the 15" MBP only have an SD card slot (That's an argument on its own and not relevant to this thread.) Since I have the Expresscard slot, I bought a $12 SD card adapter and an $8 eSata adapter to use with this mac.

I also upgraded my 360GB hard drive to a 500GB 7200 RPM hard drive. I put the left-over 360GB hard drive in a "Rocketfish" external enclosure that has eSata support. I use my external drive to hold and run my Windows 7, and Windows Vista development environments (I am a .NET developer for a living).

I have 100GB of my speedy 500Gb drive assigned to BootCamp and have Windows 7 and PSP installed on it. So, as you can see, I run Windows on my new MBP all the time. Even on VMWare Fusion, Windows runs better on my MBP than it ever has on any PC I have ever owned.

Johnchapin
Oct 7, 2009, 09:41 AM
Many thanks for your update Pblanton. It's good to hear your experience running Win on a Mac and that your opinion of PSP agrees with mine.

Does Win continually try to update itself on a Mac? Are there still the usual problems with viruses, etc that you have to install firewalls, virus checkers, spychecks, etc. It drives me crazy on my old PC with XP that I only use once a week or so. My daughter says they have a PC at work that they use very seldomly, and it drives them crazy too. So, I still have trouble with the concept of putting Win on a Mac.

Thanks again :)

Pomeroy
Oct 7, 2009, 04:19 PM
Many thanks for your update Pblanton. It's good to hear your experience running Win on a Mac and that your opinion of PSP agrees with mine.

Does Win continually try to update itself on a Mac? Are there still the usual problems with viruses, etc that you have to install firewalls, virus checkers, spychecks, etc. It drives me crazy on my old PC with XP that I only use once a week or so. My daughter says they have a PC at work that they use very seldomly, and it drives them crazy too. So, I still have trouble with the concept of putting Win on a Mac.

Thanks again :)

I also have never found a good replacement for PSP at any price on a Mac. I run PSP 7 with Crossover ( http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ ) just as good as if it was on a PC and you don't have to install Windows or have a Windows license to use or boot into bootcamp. I have no idea if the later versions of PSP will work since Corel got hold of it and ruined it. I tried PSP 8 but went back to PSP 7 and have stayed there for years.

Johnchapin
Feb 19, 2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks Wizard,

I haven't tried it but my interpretation is that it allows you to open PSP files with the .psp extension for Photoshop. Let me know if that's not right. :confused:

On another note, I'm gradually figuring out what Boot Camp, VMfusion, and Parallels are supposed to do. The only thing that still bothers me about running Windows on a Mac is the Windows updates would drive me crazy. Does anyone have any insight on this issue? Just not let Windows connect with the internet? :confused:

opeter
Feb 21, 2010, 02:39 AM
Thanks Wizard,

I haven't tried it but my interpretation is that it allows you to open PSP files with the .psp extension for Photoshop. Let me know if that's not right. :confused:

On another note, I'm gradually figuring out what Boot Camp, VMfusion, and Parallels are supposed to do. The only thing that still bothers me about running Windows on a Mac is the Windows updates would drive me crazy. Does anyone have any insight on this issue? Just not let Windows connect with the internet? :confused:

Let Windows Update do the updates. I don't understand why people want to turn off updating? Do you turn off Apple Updates too?

Johnchapin
Feb 22, 2010, 01:25 AM
Opeter, I only use the PC once a week or less. I turn it on and it wants to update Windows, virus checker, firewall, browser, etc. It spends more time updating than I do using it. My daughter has exactly the same problem with a seldom used PC at her work :(

So yes, I'm thinking of turning Windows updates off if I install Windows and PSP to a Mac. Then my plan is to not let that dark side of the partition access the internet, but I'm on uncertain ground about all this :confused:

opeter
Feb 22, 2010, 06:17 AM
If you will not have your PC connected to the internet, maybe than you can turn the updating off. But don't forget: you antivirus software will also not be updated.

So if someone puts in an infected USB dongle into your computer, than God help you!

Most updates from Windows updates are security fixes, I know, I would let install them. What do you think, how many security holes modern programs have? Especially the closed source ones (like these from Apple, Microsoft, etc.) ...

Johnchapin
Apr 6, 2010, 01:43 PM
I finally got tired of waiting (2+ years now) for someone to come out with a decent photo editor for a Mac :( The other impetus was my MacBook is getting out of date. I never figured I would use up 80 GB of hard disk, but with a lot of photos, it happened, even while moving most of the raw photos to a 1 TB external disk. So, I'm experimenting so to speak, with not a lot to lose, I hope. Then hopefully I'll know whether to try this on a new machine.

I read up on security issues and decided they're not so bad with due caution, such as: Don't let the Bootcamp partition (that has the Win XP) connect to the internet. Use the NTFS format instead of FAT. They require you to have XP with Service Pack 2, and the XP I bought is with SP3 (Amazon.com $62). The NTFS doesn't allow exchanging files across the partitions, and is therefore more secure. The way I go around this is to put the files I'm interested in on the external drive, then read them with the other partition. I realize this is compromising the security somewhat, but since these files are mainly photos I've taken and edited, I'm thinking a virus has little chance of piggybacking across.

So, I've moved several photos to bootcamp, edited them, and moved them back to the Mac partition. So far so good, and I'm sooo happy to be using PSP again without dragging a PC around :p

I'll post to this thread if there turn out to be issues, but right now I'm thinking this is going to work :cool:

AV8TOR
Apr 6, 2010, 06:45 PM
I like Pixelmator a lot and find it much easier than GIMP. Pixelmator can do more than PSP but much easier than Paint Shop Pro.
Funny thing about this post as I was just like the original poster a big fan of the Paint Shop Pro, especially before Corel got their hands in the program.

Johnchapin
Apr 7, 2010, 02:00 PM
I tried Pixelmator, but probably wasn't patient enough to get used to it.

The reason I used PSP 8 was that I had a copy, but also one of the last JASC editions before Corel got their hands on it.

Stevebullman
Sep 28, 2010, 08:28 AM
Hi, I just joined up after finding this thread, though i appreciate its quite old.

i was in the same dilemna as the original poster. I run parallels on my mac, solely for my accounting software really, but i just downloaded paintshop pro and installed it.
It works fine, I can drag my picture files onto the other screen running windows and when i make adjustments and click save it automatically saves it back in the mac.....i thought i was going to have to mess around dragging files back and forth.

Another member questioned the speed of parallels. my mac runs windows faster than my pc ever did..im pretty happy with the whole set up :)

oldhickory
Jan 16, 2011, 06:49 PM
Not sure if it will do everything I want (I guess I can use my old and slow laptop PC--or my husband's desktop if I need to process large files) but I'm doing a 30 day trial of Pixelmator. It looks as though it's pretty close to many of the PSP features. If, at the end of the 30 days, I feel it's going to compete, then I'll buy and and purge windows off my mac. The only other thing I had to run on the mac that was windows only, was Internet Exploder, and since I quit the business that required IE for the proprietary portal, I can say goodbye for good.
Fingers are crossed!

Stevebullman
Jan 17, 2011, 02:10 AM
had a quick look......does this resize images as easily as paintshoppro? i might give it a try if it does

Johnchapin
Jan 19, 2011, 04:56 PM
Preview crops and resizes images. For cropping, click-drag the cursor and Cmd K. For resizing, under tools, "adjust size".

My usual photo workflow is from camera image, Preview for cropping, adjusting exposure, contrast, saturation, color temperature, and size. Then to PSP for selections and selective adjustments, distortion corrections, etc. Then, if I like it, into my favorites or slide show files.

Some of the best features, perhaps unnoticed, of PSP are warp brush, gamma correction, blur, motion blur, add or subtract noise, and jpeg artifact removal.

Stevebullman
Jan 20, 2011, 03:50 AM
ive just downloaded this and running the demo version, resized a picture which was nice and easy, but then when i save it im unable to save as a jpg, just a pmx file. can anyone tell me if i can save as jpg on the paid version?

thanks

Pomeroy
Jan 22, 2011, 10:36 AM
ive just downloaded this and running the demo version, resized a picture which was nice and easy, but then when i save it im unable to save as a jpg, just a pmx file. can anyone tell me if i can save as jpg on the paid version?

thanks
when using "Save As" click on the little arrow at the end of the "Save As" box, then you will see a check box to "Save copy as", check it and select the file type you want.
Also if you want to save as a jpg you don't have to use "Save As", click on "Export" and you can save as a jpg, png, tiff, photoshop, pdf or Other. Click on "Other and a dialog box with a long drop down list of file types will appear including gif and bmp.

de tekenaar
Jan 25, 2011, 10:28 AM
Not sure if it will do everything I want (I guess I can use my old and slow laptop PC--or my husband's desktop if I need to process large files) but I'm doing a 30 day trial of Pixelmator. It looks as though it's pretty close to many of the PSP features. If, at the end of the 30 days, I feel it's going to compete, then I'll buy and and purge windows off my mac. The only other thing I had to run on the mac that was windows only, was Internet Exploder, and since I quit the business that required IE for the proprietary portal, I can say goodbye for good.
Fingers are crossed!

had a quick look......does this resize images as easily as paintshoppro? i might give it a try if it does

. . . just now and am impressed with what's shown. Long time user 'til PSP8 which was my last version and I still use on an old, dedicated PC. Looks to me like someone has finally picked up the Mac's JASC PSP torch!

Going to download trial version, but have pretty much decided to buy it. REALLY vexed all this time not to have PSP functionality directly on the Mac! Never really understood why Apple never offered direct 'touchscreen drawing pad' functionality on any MacBook Pro either though, especially since HP had it on one of theirs for several years now using Painter software, my other "artist" favorite!

Can purchase it at Amazon for about $40 with no shipping cost . . . sounds pretty good to me for what I saw in the demo.

de tekenaar
Feb 1, 2011, 01:54 PM
. . . Looks to me like someone has finally picked up the Mac's JASC PSP torch!

. . . have pretty much decided to buy it. . . .

Can purchase Pixelmator at Amazon for about $40 with no shipping cost . . . sounds pretty good to me for what I saw in the demo.

. . . http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/public/DJUU5uuvcqu-FnKuxA0_eo8KELbUVcpgC_Cig5WqE6MhKtNbOxyaSJfna2yZ6Xl4AnDAwosTizgyOrjrpzyOC0Q7ZxGWG52kQL0zcz4Bd3BXWSqA BNef77rXHmsWVIIKSdRcWbjd8cg207cZaopXsDC-71Fh9EL7Vm2lRhszIw=s90 (http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Micro-Software-Inc-PXMMBX2/dp/B002ABOYXG). . . is now only . . . $19.99 at Amazon.com !

mikeo007
Feb 6, 2011, 12:56 PM
I like Pixelmator a lot and find it much easier than GIMP. Pixelmator can do more than PSP but much easier than Paint Shop Pro.
Funny thing about this post as I was just like the original poster a big fan of the Paint Shop Pro, especially before Corel got their hands in the program.

Can it draw a straight line? A rectangle? ... not impressed
I have an old version of PSP (4) that I always fall back to for editing, it just works so well.

londonhogfan
Jun 20, 2011, 11:01 PM
Can it draw a straight line? A rectangle? ... not impressed
I have an old version of PSP (4) that I always fall back to for editing, it just works so well.

I'm happy with the switch to Mac and I really want to like pixelmator, but i'm missing (any version of) Paint Shop Pro.

MorisMac
Jul 31, 2011, 01:48 PM
Hi everyone

I switched to Mac some years ago and I miss too Paint Shop Pro. I already have Pixelator it's great!! but it hasn't tool 'tubes'

Does anyone know which one has something like 'tubes' ?

Thanks so much in advance :)

chrono1081
Jul 31, 2011, 06:53 PM
Hi everyone

I switched to Mac some years ago and I miss too Paint Shop Pro. I already have Pixelator it's great!! but it hasn't tool 'tubes'

Does anyone know which one has something like 'tubes' ?

Thanks so much in advance :)

Corel Painter but its much more expensive and is a bit different of a program. Its literally a digital painting engine with a GUI (and its amazing, but may not be what your after).

dcj
Aug 8, 2011, 12:17 PM
I am more comfortable with Paint Shop Prop as well. I started with Paint Shop Pro and worked up to Paint Shop Pro Photo X. I searched everywhere for some EXACTLY like it when I switched to a MAC. Corel has been getting more requests but from my phone call this morning they don't have anything yet for MAC other than their digital painting programs. I can't stand Photoshop Elements, it's too complicated. I've tried many times it is no option for me.

HOWEVER, there is hope if you are like me and faithful to the old JASC turned Corel Paint Shop Pro.... it's true, you learn something new everyday. For those like me that didn't know, if you have a Mac OS X v10.5 and later, it includes Boot Camp that lets you run Microsoft Windows. So if there’s a PC application you need to use, start up Boot Camp and it will assist you in installing Windows. From there you can install your PC program :D

I didn't find Boot Camp in the applications folder so I used the magnifying glass at the top right to search for it and found it.

(and if someone already suggested this somewhere in this thread I apologize for not reading them all first ):o

burekbeba
Mar 18, 2013, 09:42 PM
I tooo am having trouble adjusting to life without some of my favorite PC programs, such as Jasc PSP, EditPlus and TopStyle Pro. I found a program called Crossover that runs a bash shell and these programs run great using it. I have weaned myself from TopStyle Pro, my favorite CSS editor, and am how using Stylemaster for my CSS and Text Wrangler in place of EditPlus. So now on the few occasions when I need to use PSP, I just fire up Crossover. You might want to check it out. You don't need to set up a virtual machine to use it.

Johnchapin
May 31, 2013, 12:37 PM
Just tired the new PM 2.2 version. Was using the PM 1.4 version. Either the new version is much better, or I'm just starting to get used to it. I like the new PM a lot. And the price is really great. Things that are still missing, that I haven't found yet, or that are more awkward to use than PSP are:

There's no freehand selection tool. They have a polygon selection tool and I get real tired of clicking around already. They claim other perhaps more advanced selection tools, I think, that may be more user friendly, but haven't tried them yet.

The brush sizes apparently aren't a slider or a number, but a bunch of preset sizes :eek:

There's no mesh warp or brush warp. Still the distortion tools seem to be adequate but a very awkward user interface. What the hey is that loop that goes from the tool popup over to the point you're editing :confused:

Can you "save as" a jpg file? No, you have to go into File, then Export, and then jpg. I suppose that saves losing info by not saving in their pxm format first. However, the jpg image had a fairly drastic difference in exposure than the pxm image.

Pixelmator software crew, I hope your reading this. As always this suggestion: Stand behind a new user and experience their frustrations firsthand. Nonetheless, congratulations on an excellent product :) Just what I've been looking for for a long time.

Acorn
Jun 2, 2013, 06:07 PM
have you tried artrage 4?