Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metfuel

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2002
I am going to import a VHS collection of tapes that isn't on dvd and I would like to know the best way to do this. I want to get a good quality as i can get but I don't want this file size that is ridiculous when it is finished for each tape. The tape running time is 52 minutes per video. I am using a Formac Studio hardware device to use to get it into the computer. I am running a 2 Ghz iMac G5 with 768megs of ram.
Any help on figuring out the best solution so i can get a couple of these tapes on one dvd would be greatly appreciated.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
The MPEG2 codec allows for up to 2 hours of high quality video at around 4.5 Mbps used in conjunction with 128 Kbit AC3. You can't do AC3 in iDVD unfortunately. The most you can squeeze on a DVD with iDVD is 90 minutes. But even then, the quality won't be great since VHS itself is pretty bad.

For the best quality, you can squeeze 2 hours using the BitVice encoder and turning on DVNC to 5-8 for the best VHS noise suppression. It costs $$$ but worth it if you're doing many DVDs and going for the best quality.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.