PDA

View Full Version : 12" Powerbook+23" ACD

kingcrowing
Dec 21, 2005, 09:26 PM
How well would a current rev. 12" powerbook run a 23" Apple ACD? would it be loud/hot running it with the lid closed? also, could I have the 23" ACD as my main display and the 12" pBook as a second display when the LCd is connected?

adk
Dec 21, 2005, 09:31 PM
I run a 15" PB in clamshell mode and the fan doesn't run anymore than with the screen open.

ITASOR
Dec 21, 2005, 09:43 PM
could I have the 23" ACD as my main display and the 12" pBook as a second display when the LCd is connected?

Yes :) You can do it in System Preferences>Displays>Arrangement.

.Andy
Dec 21, 2005, 10:08 PM
How well would a current rev. 12" powerbook run a 23" Apple ACD? would it be loud/hot running it with the lid closed? also, could I have the 23" ACD as my main display and the 12" pBook as a second display when the LCd is connected?
In my experience with a 12" and 20" ACD the fan seems to run all the time as soon as you plug in you DVI cable - regardless of lid open or closed. If you were doing sound recording it might be a problem. It's not overly noisy though. If you have the radio/iTunes/ or even a normal level of background noise you probably won't even notice it's on. The machine itself doesn't get that hot as a result, probably no hotter than working on battery power.

Using dual screens is coool :cool:.

tuartboy
Dec 21, 2005, 11:11 PM
I ran my PC laptop with the lid down for a few months and destroyed the LCD. The heat messed up the screen and darkened and desaturated the area right over the hottest point. I do not recommend doing this to you PB.

Why do it anyway when you can just span and have the extra space?