PDA

View Full Version : About 2 get a powerbook, a few question

kaltek
Dec 23, 2005, 11:20 PM
I am getting the 17" powerbook 1ghz Aluminum on the 27th (A late xmas present) and wanted to know a few things

Any software you would recomend? i have had a mac b4 but only owned it for a month (the 12" was just too small for me) I mainly use my computer for word processing and media a little gaming. Right now I am really into desktop enhancements so if you know of anything that lets you customize the dock more Plz LMK.

Im getting it used (i know) anything i should look for in terms of defects or damage that might be common?

what updates should i be looking for (besides Tiger) i think the os thats comming with it is jaguar

anyway thanks for you imput in advance

mad jew
Dec 23, 2005, 11:23 PM
Welcome back to Macs. :)

I'd look at getting Microsoft Office for Mac as a start. Look around on VersionTracker (http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/) for apps that'll change your themes and Dock settings etc. :)

TheMasin9
Dec 23, 2005, 11:34 PM
id try candybar, its a pretty goo desktop cuztom thing as well as shapeshifter for a start.

kaltek
Dec 23, 2005, 11:39 PM
thanks for the welcome

cant wait to get it

katie ta achoo
Dec 23, 2005, 11:47 PM
I would put some RAM in it. It'll make that PowerBook just fly.

Congrats on the new Mac. :D

kaltek
Dec 23, 2005, 11:58 PM
I have a extra stick of 256 but its ddr266 and i belive the ram in the pb is ddr333 (512)

will it still work?

on another note: price i paid 1300US for it here are some quick specs

17" (lcd just replaced)
1GHz G4
60GB hdd
NV MX440 64Mb
512 ram
170 some days of applecare left
all the other toys

just wondering i have no idea the value of macs and was wondering if i spent a little too much?

katie ta achoo
Dec 24, 2005, 12:10 AM
No, I think you paid a pretty good price! $1300 for a 17"? Heck ya!

What are "all the other toys" ?

kaltek
Dec 24, 2005, 12:22 AM
What are "all the other toys" ?

Bluetooth
backlit keyboard
airport extreme

jadekitty24
Dec 24, 2005, 06:31 AM
$1300 is an excellant deal for a 17" powerbook! I have yet to see one of those puppies in person...I fear if I do I will fall in love.

kretzy
Dec 24, 2005, 07:47 AM
You may want to download UNO (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/27932) which will give you a "unified GUI" for Mac OS X. I have it and love it!

Seasought
Dec 24, 2005, 11:12 PM
Im getting it used (i know) anything i should look for in terms of defects or damage that might be common?

Fire up textedit and type out every single key on the keyboard to make sure they work. I really haven't heard about any issues with the 17" PBs, but you might want to download CoconutBattery and keep an eye on your battery for the first couple of weeks after calibrating it.

Any software you would recomend?

As another MR user mentioned, Office for OS X is a worthwhile buy. It comes with Excel and Entourage (Outlook for Mac). Pretty handy. Oh and congrats on your new Mac! :D