Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I got sick of Windows media player so I dragged it to the trash. Then Finder wouldn't let me empty it because 50000 WMP files were "locked". What do I do?

DAMN YOU MICROSOFT!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
open up the trash. get info on WMP. under ownership and permissions make sure you can Read and Write and its unlocked. in the General pane make sure Locked is not checked off.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
adk said:
WMP itself isn't locked or anything. It tells me things like wmphelp.htm are locked, and I can't find those actual files anywhere.

control click on WMP>show package contents. and you will be able to dig through for files. although if i you go the highest folder in the hierachry you should be able to get info, make sure you can Read and Write and that its unlocked. then apply that too all enclosed items.

adk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
Ok, that worked, but thanks to stupid WMP it wouldn't let me change all contents of some folders so I had to go in one by one and unlock 4 billion files. the moral of the story, NEVER download WMP.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
adk said:
Ok, that worked, but thanks to stupid WMP it wouldn't let me change all contents of some folders so I had to go in one by one and unlock 4 billion files. the moral of the story, NEVER download WMP.

its happened to me before with it too. its PITA for sure. glad that worked for you though.

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
An easy way of doing this in future is to hold Ctrl Alt and Apple keys whilst clicking "Empty Trash" under the file menu.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
alexprice said:
An easy way of doing this in future is to hold Ctrl Alt and Apple keys whilst clicking "Empty Trash" under the file menu.

I think it works if you just hold down alt and then empty trash, but I might be wrong.

Either way, this is so much easier than sifting through folders and packages trying to find the culprit(s).

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The Devil is the Devil ...

WMP is just and inferior tool made by a bunch of Devil groupies who cannot even light a candle without fouling it up.

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
TMA said:
I think it works if you just hold down alt and then empty trash, but I might be wrong.

Either way, this is so much easier than sifting through folders and packages trying to find the culprit(s).

I have just locked a file and emptied the trash with just the Alt key held down, this method does remove locked files.

Thanks.

adk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
Maybe i'm confused, but WMP isn't even able to play certain types of WMV movies. It was even a PITA to get rid of. This just makes me hope and pray I'll never have to uninstall MS Office.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere

Either use Flip4Mac as noted in this thread, or use a Windows machine or Bootcamp and Windows. I've been dealing with WMP files for years under Windows, with zero problems.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I can't believe how Apple makes such a great QT for windows but M$ can't do the same in return. Whatever though:rolleyes:

QuickTime used to crash for me when I was using it to Encode files (QTPro)...These companies don't like each other, so maybe they don't even take much care in writing these apps.

innertechnology

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2005
Stop Hating WMP(they are scums tho)! Know your powers!

Be in control of your Trash -

cmd-option-shift-delete = empties trash without dialog, included locked files

Power to the people!

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.