PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody use the S-video out on their powerbook?

adk
Jan 3, 2006, 01:15 AM
Amazingly, I just noticed the S-Video (or at least I think it is, it's right next to my DVI port) connection in my 15" powerbook. Does anybody use this, and what is it good for?

TheMonarch
Jan 3, 2006, 01:17 AM
I use it :)... And...

Uh...

Its good for connecting to my TV... ;)

grapes911
Jan 3, 2006, 01:37 AM
I use it a lot. Great for watching movies on my TV at home. My DVD player is at school.

Counterfit
Jan 3, 2006, 01:39 AM
It's great for connecting to TVs, or anything else that doesn't have DVI or VGA inputs.

kretzy
Jan 3, 2006, 04:30 AM
I often hook it up to a TV or projector to watch movies, slideshows etc. This way I can use my JBL Creature II's for better sound quality. Me and my friends sometimes hook it up to a bigger screen to play Yahoo Word Racer together (geeky i know, but lots of fun). I suppose another advantage could be recording to VHS if you had a purpose for that.

semaja2
Jan 3, 2006, 06:52 AM
i just brought the adapter for my ibook, its great cuz i can watch videos in the lounge or when i goto school i can do presentations on the tv and projetors

HiRez
Jan 3, 2006, 07:05 AM
Yep, I use it all the time. It's also a composite video connector, but you need the small adapter cable that should have come with your PowerBook.

wPod
Jan 3, 2006, 09:45 AM
i keep intending to use it to hook to my TV but every time i think about it, connecting up and finding all the cables just seems to time consuming. . . i wonder if there will ever be an airport express for video streaming . . . heh

jimN
Jan 3, 2006, 10:06 AM
There's an S-video out!

So does my twelve inch have one too then?

joepunk
Jan 3, 2006, 10:36 AM
Nope.

I would but my roommates TV does not have a S-Video port. My TV does but I don't have it at Uni. And my roommates VCR does not even record or have a way to rewind/fast-forward.

lom8104
Jan 3, 2006, 11:14 AM
I tried using the s-video out so that I could play Halo on my TV but the output was B&W! I have watched movies no before with no problem, ideas?

szark
Jan 3, 2006, 12:04 PM
There's an S-video out!

So does my twelve inch have one too then?

Yes, but you need to purchase the Mini DVI to Video Adapter (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/StoreReentry.wo?productLearnMore=M9319G%2FA) to use it.

I use my S-Video out to watch Steve's keynote speeches on my 56" widescreen television. :D

Dave00
Jan 3, 2006, 01:12 PM
Have an S-video on my old Powerbook G3 Pismo - one of the many things that made this a great machine... anyway, you can either use this for video spanning or video mirroring. The thing I usually used it for was presentations - back when I was doing presentations. It's easy to use the powerbook screen for your notes and the S-video to export your slides.

Dave

ibglowin
Jan 3, 2006, 03:20 PM
I have been using my old G3 Pismo as my "CD Player" for over a year now. I ripped all my CD's and dumped my 250 Disc CD changer for this setup. I have the audio fed into the A/V receiver and the S-Video out on the Powerbook going into one of the inputs on my 60" Sony HDTV. Not only can I easily find my music, I can watch it on my TV as well.

Now give me Front Row please!

goodwill
Jan 3, 2006, 03:27 PM
haha. that is a sweet setup!

i think if you have the capability to use your cable with the s-video outlet on your t.v, then definately do it. especially for things that have already been mentioned like, photos, movies etc.

aricher
Jan 3, 2006, 04:28 PM
I use it every day for presentations, video, photos, music. Very useful and to me was one of the main selling points of the PowerBook.

ChrisBrightwell
Jan 3, 2006, 04:41 PM
The s-video port was a big selling point for the 15" over the 12" or even the iBook for me. I use it daily for connecting to inputs on projectors, TVs, and camcorders.

Marky_Mark
Jan 3, 2006, 04:50 PM
I tried using the s-video out so that I could play Halo on my TV but the output was B&W! I have watched movies no before with no problem, ideas?

The problem is the colour sync on the cable - I am presuming you use a SCART adaptor to connect the cable at the TV end? If so, you need to get one which works with the right sync 'thingy'. I don't pretend to understand this stuff, just that this is the cause. I posted a link on another thread here, a few weeks ago, after this setup was recommended to me. I purchased it and can vouch that it works (albeit with some minor fringing because of the lower resolution of my TV):

The chap wanted to be able to show his iBook display on a television. This is what the link was for - Monster® iTV® Link™ for iBook® Computer

Link: http://www.monstercable.com/productP...t.asp?pin=2083

If your television doesn't have s-Video input, you can also add this adaptor to be able to use the above cable with a SCART interface:

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...affiliate=2019