Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macg4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Des Moines,Iowa
Alright got a iicx off ebay with 50mhz upgrade card,ethernet card, and apple vid card. got it home plugged it and nothing, not even a click of power. next i have a iici and a quadra 700 power supply which are similar. put in the quadra 700 ps and still nothing. dropped in the iici powersupply and the pram battery from the iici since i knew it worked fine, and hit the power and now i see the motherboard/power led flicker on and off and hear a power click, see fan on powersupply try to move, but no farther than that. so next i put the iicx powersupply in the iici and it booted right up. so i have ruled out the powersupply and the pram as being the issues. looks like the motherboard may be causing the issue, let me know what u guys think

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
A dead PRAM battery can prevent the Mac II series machine from turning on. Not sure what to say about the IIci power supply in the IIcx, it should have worked as far as I know. At least it's working now...:)

macg4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Des Moines,Iowa
Well it isnt working even with the different power supply.ill try the voltmeter test on the battery, i did also order some new 3.6 pram batteries for my whole mac ii collection .where would the little pram reset button be located on the iicx motherboard? i have tried it with no battery and no result as well. i have let it sit for a day or so and tried it again as well. I was going to try the trickle charges idea, but the only thing i was worried about, is that as soon as u plug in a power cable to the powersupply it starts clicking, and flashing power led on/off, even without hitting the power button on the keyboard or the back of the case. even when u hit the power button it does nothing and continues to click and power led goes on/off.would it be good/safe to trickle power when it constantly clicking and trying to power on like that?

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Try fiddling with the power button on the back of the computer. Sometimes they can act flakey.

macg4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Des Moines,Iowa
aquajet said:
Try fiddling with the power button on the back of the computer. Sometimes they can act flakey.
yeah i have done that too. i have thought about just taking the motherboard out and pressing the button by hand

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
It sounds like a power short... I had a IICI once that acted similar to yours...It turns out the processor upgreade was not seated properly, therefore causing a short... It could also be a bad motherboard, or a bad soddering joint.. Good Luck! I would check all expansion cards/boards an see what happens..

macg4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Des Moines,Iowa
macEfan said:
It sounds like a power short... I had a IICI once that acted similar to yours...It turns out the processor upgreade was not seated properly, therefore causing a short... It could also be a bad motherboard, or a bad soddering joint.. Good Luck! I would check all expansion cards/boards an see what happens..
yeah i have tried reseating the daystar processer upgrade. i have been trying all this troubleshooting with hd,floppy, and all nubus expansion cards removed.

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Logicboard.

The capacitors in the old cx and ci's do dry out, so you will need to replace the board or recondition it.

:)

macg4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Des Moines,Iowa
its weird, because with the orginal powersupply it doesnt even click or anything. when i put in the iici or quadra 700 powersupply it clicks

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I'm assuming you tried booting without the Daystar upgrade in there (it lives in the cache slot, correct?). I'm as stumped as you - it sounds like a flaky logic board to me.

Do you have a IIci that works? If so I believe your Daystar upgrade card should run in that and you can at least test it to see if it is OK.

That clicking sound you hear may be a breaker...

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
While you are checking voltages, see how much power the pRam battery has. If it is dead, that may be part of your issue as stated before. I guess you could just wait for the new batteries to arrive, but it may be worth the time to check.

macg4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Des Moines,Iowa
yeah i have tried with and without the daystar upgrade. the daystar works fine in my iici and iisi. yeah the pram shows 0 voltage, so its dead

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.